Spyder Garage

Default Thoughts from a new(er) Spyder owner

Some thoughts on the Spyder at 1500 miles….

If you are coming from a two-wheeler to a Spyder, expect a longer learning curve. I came from a 2004 Goldwing that I REALLY loved. It was time for an extra wheel due to “all those reasons”. If coming from another trike the curve would be shorter I would guess. In fairness the folks riding Wing trikes complain about ride roughness that the Spyder does not have. I liken the Wing trike ride as holding a pencil in the middle and alternately taping either end. Mrs. Chief said her back would not take that so that pretty much ended the Goldwing trike option. The Spyder will never be a Goldwing or an Ultra Classic but then it is not meant to be. I find the Spyder (2012 RT-s) to be a bit underpowered with 2-up and RT-622 trailer but learning to keep the RPM’s in the recommended range helps. Fuel range is somewhat disappointing but Mrs. Chief likes being able to stretch more often enjoyable.

The heat issues that everyone notes are manageable (with all the mods) except on 90+ days. That is somewhat disappointing; I hope BRP deals with that issue and the constant vibration in the prime power band. Vibs are worse when towing and RPM management does not completely deal with it. I should not have to spend $500+ to deal with heat and vibration issues on a $30,000 machine .

We have not experienced the dreaded orange screens or limp mode, and our dealer, Vetesnik’s in Richland Center, WI has been very helpful and attentive to our needs, even fixing the paint damage to the trailer from releasing the parking brake when trying to open the frunk (that’s another story).

All in all, I am enjoying the Spyder and recommend it to others with the caveat that you should realize what you are getting into and learn to ride it the right way. This site helps that a lot.
    I will say there is a clear critter path between the front wheels and back wheels. It is a lot easier the SECOND time you run over a dead skunk. Note: if the trailer is attached the above does not apply.

Now if I could just find the damn kickstand…..
    Last edited by Fire Bike; 09-23-2012 at 06:04 AM.

Daryl A Rausch
    Fire Chief & Emergency Management Director
    Monroe, Wisconsin
    "Cheese City"

"It ain't easy being Cheesey"

Spyder Garage

Great write up. I would say you are right on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Bump

Daryl A Rausch
    Fire Chief & Emergency Management Director
    Monroe, Wisconsin
    "Cheese City"

"It ain't easy being Cheesey"