Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake: Bad; Cowtown: Good

New RT Limited, 5600 miles in 7 weeks, getting broken in for the AZ trip in October. Sitting in the drive-up lane at the bank and the parking brake won't disengage--horrors! The dreaded orange screen says BRAKE FAILURE PARKING BRAKE FAULT. Finally it disengages and I head directly home, no pass go, no $200, with the orange screen flashing at me. I'm concerned it might be electronic failure rather than the spring/pulley deal, and I have a big weekend trip planned, so I call Cowtown and they say they will work me into the schedule.

This is the second time they have done that for me--very accomodating! It was the spring/pulley and they had to order parts, but the first offer they made, since it is 130 miles down there, was to steal parts from a new bike & install them. But they don't get paid on warranty for the labor to steal and replace them, so I told them I would come back later. It's a pleasant ride through the river bluffs and hills and curves of central Missouri. I was just glad they had taken time to look at it so I could do my weekend trip. I'll just take some wheel chocks along for a parking brake, and ignore the orange flasher!

I've read other comments about Cowtown service, and using a new bike for emergency parts to get you on the road, and I just want to say I have had excellent service there. Thanks to Len, John & Bob.

Bert

Spyder Garage

.......this might be catching,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my parking brake won't engage as of yesterday. Got the "Parking Brake Fault" screen yesterday while in Yellowstone National Park and now I am using a ROCK everytime we park the . Already called Cowtown and made an appointment to have it fixed when we get back in town. Thanks to Kevin (he's the "ANSWER MAN") and John for the quick responce.

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

A long time ago I told Carlo that the key to making the Spyder a viable toring machine was to instill in the dealers the attitude and desire to get a touring rider back on the road ASAP...no matter what it took. Cowtown is the prime example this attitude. (And they didn't get the idea from BRP.) Every dealer in the country would do well to copy them.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    A long time ago I told Carlo that the key to making the Spyder a viable toring machine was to instill in the dealers the attitude and desire to get a touring rider back on the road ASAP...no matter what it took. Cowtown is the prime example this attitude. (And they didn't get the idea from BRP.) Every dealer in the country would do well to copy them.
    I must say that Scotty's statement is so true. And that is one thing I do admire about HD dealers around the country. The out of towners are top priority because they spread the word about good and not so good dealers rather quickly.

Perhaps as the number of Spyder ryders grow to a force to be reckoned with, we will get the same kind of treatment and respect from BRP dealers across the country.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

If you can get the side cover off it is really an easy fix to make it functional again. If the switch got messed up on the front pulley it won't get rid of the warning but it will keep you from having to use a rock. If you undo the cable in the back then hook the front back up. Undoing the back gives you more slack to get the front back in place. With the brake in the off position, roll the back pulley so that you can get the back hooked back up.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode across the country with that annoying Brake Failure flashing at me that and a bungeed broken windshield bracket. I probably could have arranged to have service at any dealer in any city but instead I called Cowtown and set up an appointment and changed my route to include Cuba in my travels. Of course Len took excellent care of me and my riding friend getting us in for oil changes, brake pads and the warranty work. He even invited us on the Mogang ride and to a Cruise In at Sonic.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

It is always good to hear about the dealers who go out of their way to help stranded ryders.

It amazes me that some dealers have the attitude where they will not go out of their way the least bit. Time will work these dealers out of the system.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vrodrjs View Post
    If you can get the side cover off it is really an easy fix to make it functional again. If the switch got messed up on the front pulley it won't get rid of the warning but it will keep you from having to use a rock. If you undo the cable in the back then hook the front back up. Undoing the back gives you more slack to get the front back in place. With the brake in the off position, roll the back pulley so that you can get the back hooked back up.
    Please dont tell them how to fix it, I am trying to sell "Parking Brake Rocks" .

Special price for Spyder owners, $ 2.98 each shipping may be a bit higher

Cruzr Joe

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 09-21-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Bump

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Please dont tell them how to fix it, I am trying to sell "Parking Brake Rocks" .

Special price for Spyder owners, $ 2.98 each shipping may be a bit higher

Cruzr Joe

My bad.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

How much for them parking brake rocks, and what is the shipping to Alaska?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Rocks are as stated $ 2.98 each, shipping to Alaska $38,000.00 ea. how many you want?

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I missed the posted price. If I by two or more do I get a cut on the shipping on the 2nd rock?

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

First rock $38,000.00 ea, second or more, $39,000.00 each, reason being that i gotta get a bigger truck

Spyder Garage

I had this happen to me last summer on our trip to San Fransisco. On the way back the break cable and spring broke in Eureka California we were heading east from there and stopped at the first Can Am dealer. Here is my 35000.00 dollar parking break IMGP0647.jpg. I tried to get it fixed at a dealer in California it was a Saturday morning they told me they could not work on it because they could not tell if the bike had warranty. They also said I would have to pay with my Visa to get work done then get reimbursed by BRP. The bike at this point had less than 6000km common sense knows there is warrant. I was very very upset they would not take the time to help me out so we drove 3800km home with no break.
    I sent this photo to Brp and told they about the dealership in Cali, it was a joke. Got back and put the bike up for sale I was so upset, yes if it was my old Harley it would have been fixed on the spot. I ended up talking to Lamont about the bike and because of him decided to keep it. Now some how because BRP was in conversations with (said dealer) the owner of the dealer ship found me on face book and decided to threaten me sending me all kinds of crap messages about how I blew the story out of proportion, it broke you didn't fix it end of story. I never sent the messages they he sent me to BRP but maybe I should they as a dealer should lose there right to sell this product. Well the rt has 25000km and im a happy 3 wheeler funny how things change.
    Love the 3 wheels way of life

2011 RT Limited

Mods

Custom vinyl wrap
    Two brothers exhaust
    custom glo riders
    carbon fiber dash kit(orange)
    2013 15 inch wheels powder coated orange
    all factory castings powder coated orange
    Elka's
    Baha Ron sway bar(will be powder coated orange next winter)
    Spyder pops (every thing he has for the rt)
    Lamonts hiway pegs

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First rock $38,000.00 ea, second or more, $39,000.00 each, reason being that i gotta get a bigger truck

Are they cheaper direct from the factory in The "Canadian Rockies" or from their USA factory in "Boulder" Colorado

Mind you I coulld't afford the shipping and Import duties - Guess I will have to locate my own supply

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Spyder Garage

I lost another sale............

Spyder Garage

I lost another sale............
    Joe, people want FREE SHIPPING my man. Sell the rocks for $37,995 and give them free shipping! More will buy I promise - maybe.

Spyder Garage

Hey maybe i could put them on Ebay????

Spyder Garage

See, now that's worth considering. Only $37,995 for the rock and free shipping. I have already saved $7.98. How about the deal on that second rock though?

2020 F3L , Magma Red

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Yep, same deal on the parking brake. I was lucky, just about 25 miles from Cowtown, on my way home from a long trip. Pulled in, asked about getting it fixed, hour later I was on the road. They couldn't fix the real problem, needed a new pulley but they did make it work until I could get it replaced by my dealer. I haven't owned a Spyder since I got rid of my 2010 RT. Maybe, with the new frame and front end work I will consider one again, if so, it will be from Cowtown!

Dwight