Thread: Front Tire Wear

Spyder Garage

Default Front Tire Wear

After riding 1100+ miles to and from Lamont's BBQ, I've notice considerable wear to the inside of the front right (sitting on the Spyder to my right) tire. No more than usual wear on the other side. Cold air pressure is 19#. My tires are factory tires, 7300+ miles on them. Except for this wear, the tread still looks good and even both front and back.

Experts, any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

I'd check that side for any play in the suspension components...shock bushings, tie-rod end, ball joints. Faulty components should be replaced. Also check for a bent tie-rod. If the suspension checks out, the steering may not be centered. Unlikely an alignment issue, which would wear both tires....unless the frame or a-arm is bent or faulty.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I called my dealer this morning. He said it wasn't unusual for this to occurr! He offered to take a look at it. But after I told him I had 19# air pressure he wanted me to drop the pressure back to 15#. He said 19# was too much and may have caused this wear problem...

He's still going to check it out.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I suggest the following. Get you Spyder's front wheel aligned at an authorized Spyder shop. Then exchange the right tire with the left one. Since the tires should be run (rotate) in a certain direction the tries will have to be dismounted from their rims and remounted exchanging one for the other. The worn part of the tire will now be on the outside on the left wheel. You will be able to get more use from the tire showing the wear this way. Both wheels will have to be balanced after the exchange.

Arthur
    Arthur S. Cohen
    Ibsen 72
    Mexico City, Mexico 115660

xe1ll@prodigy.net.mx

Quote Originally Posted by mrfats View Post
    After riding 1100+ miles to and from Lamont's BBQ, I've notice considerable wear to the inside of the front right (sitting on the Spyder to my right) tire. No more than usual wear on the other side. Cold air pressure is 19#. My tires are factory tires, 7300+ miles on them. Except for this wear, the tread still looks good and even both front and back.

Spyder Garage

I called my dealer this morning. He said it wasn't unusual for this to occurr! He offered to take a look at it. But after I told him I had 19# air pressure he wanted me to drop the pressure back to 15#. He said 19# was too much and may have caused this wear problem...

Your dealer is treading water. His theory is not sound, IMO. Be very careful running 15# in the front. That is the minimum pressure printed on the sidewall. Dropping below that could have safety implications.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Read on this forum that 22# worked for someone else so tried it and seems to be working great for me. 22 front 28 rear.

Spyder Garage

High pressure causes center wear, not side wear. I run 19# in the fronts on my RT at all times. With a bit more than 6000 miles on them, they are worn almost even across the tread on both tires. Then there is the issue of wear on the rear tire.

Spyder Garage

hey mrfats, my 2011 rt limited is in the shop right now for the exact same problem(same side as well). They inspected front end and the bushings are worn out(A-Arm), there are 8 on each side was told it is a 5 hour repair plus parts. They have a call in to BRP to see if this is covered under warranty. I have 25000km on this bike and the other side is perfectly fine. Waiting to hear back later next week.
    Love the 3 wheels way of life

2011 RT Limited

Mods

Custom vinyl wrap
    Two brothers exhaust
    custom glo riders
    carbon fiber dash kit(orange)
    2013 15 inch wheels powder coated orange
    all factory castings powder coated orange
    Elka's
    Baha Ron sway bar(will be powder coated orange next winter)
    Spyder pops (every thing he has for the rt)
    Lamonts hiway pegs

Spyder Garage

Bull Puckie! But very common. Read Scotty's posts about front end components. Don't drink the dealer coolaid on this one.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default tire wear

I had the same problem with my 08, it was the lower ball joint.