Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder with Kayak

I've been meaning to post this earlier. This will probably only interest a small percentage of folks; but I've been looking for ways to transport my bikes and kayaks on the Spyder. I came across a trailer made by Yakima. Essentially it presents two standard cross bars (same as your standard roof rack) attached to a small trailer. This permits mounting of any combination of rack accessory you require (bikes, canoes, cargo boxes, etc.).

F.A.Q.s
    - Trailer weight empty (150 lbs.)
    - Cargo capacity (250 lbs.)
    - Coincidentally, this adds up to 400 lbs, which is the max. towing capacity of the Spyder
    - 1 7/8" ball hitch
    - Cost approx. $3k + accessories
    - Not cheap, good quality build, fits niche

I've attached a couple of photos.

Stan the Man

kayak2a.jpgkayak1a.jpg

Spyder Garage

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Way cool! Husband and I each have 12 foot kayaks and I wondered about pulling them, too. It could be done!
    2016 RTS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Trailer is expensive. But, it's versatile!! You can throw a Thule box on there and make it a cargo trailer. Or, trailer your bicycles! Anything you can mount on Thule or Yakima racks you can mount on the trailer. Great idea!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They just opened up some of the NYC reservoir system to canoes and kayaks...
    This could have some real potential around here...
    "Oh Honey!..."
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I love this idea. I live just north of Vancouver, BC (in the summer) and could easily scoot up and down the coast. i wonder if you could take it on the ferries. I just bought a new RTS and have been considering trading in my 5th wheel (which is currently in TX) and getting a Toyhauler 5th wheel. Keep us posted. Sarah

magical member
    Spyder Garage

You could look at folding Kayaks, that would fit in the rt-622. I used too kayak a few years back, still have a Sigma 17 folding sea kayak in storage. It folds into a back pack and weight is 55lb folded. Takes about 10 minutes to assemble. Great for storage as well as it only takes the space of a large back pack. Used to have a VW Vanagon, we used to go off weekends camping, fishing etc. With the kids grown up and not wanting to camp anymore I sold the Vanagon about 3 years a go.

Harry

Spyder Garage

Hummm? I have a 17 foot Gumman canoe with the option of a 5 HP outboard. Yes, it will do a blistering 12 MPH on the water.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder with Kayaks and bicycles

Quote Originally Posted by TasmanianDevil View Post
    I love this idea. I live just north of Vancouver, BC (in the summer) and could easily scoot up and down the coast. i wonder if you could take it on the ferries. I just bought a new RTS and have been considering trading in my 5th wheel (which is currently in TX) and getting a Toyhauler 5th wheel. Keep us posted. Sarah
    Spyder with kayaks and bicycles
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Ronsam,

How much does your trailer weigh? My imagination is running wild. Have you taken it on a ferry?

Sarah

Spyder Garage

Take a look at Trailex trailers - half the price of Yakimas, and their service and quality are top shelf.
    I have a SUT-250-M2 we use for our Hobie kayaks. It's all aluminum and light weight enough I'm sure the RT could tow it- but no hitch on my spyder.
    It fits in a 2car garage with the RT and plenty of walk around room. They make a 1up kayak/boat trailer too. Good Luck

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder kayaks Bicycles

Ronsam,

How much does your trailer weigh? My imagination is running wild. Have you taken it on a ferry?

Sarah
    The trailer is 300 pounds , + 80 pounds for two Kayaks + 20 pounds of !!!!!
    I did not take the ferry , It will be no problem to take the ferry, I did about 5000 KL and a trip to Bella Coola with the trailer and the Kayaks and two up. The spyder has no problem to pull the trailer with the Kayaks or the bicycles
    Have a nice day

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder tent trailer and Kayak

Ronsam,

Sarah
    The trailer is a tent trailer Leesure lite Built in Osoyoos BC

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

No that we are a two Spyder family, my husband converted our homemade trailer into one to carry our kayaks. Can't wait to try it out!
    IMG_0335.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Spyder Garage

Ronsam, I have another post going, ""600-mi service - advice?". I have mentioned your pics of the tent trailer on it. I have checked out the Leesure lite trailer website and may continue on to Osoyoos after my servicing in Vancouver Weds and check it out? I plan on heading east through the mountains and camping out on the way home instead of heading north up the coast. Which motorcycle hitch do you use? One thing I like about this trailer is that it is designed to be hauled by motorcycles. I can see where a tent trailer could dramatically change my travel plans (or lack of plans).

Thanks for the info, Sarah

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Kayak Tent trailer

Ronsam, I have another post going, ""600-mi service - advice?". I have mentioned your pics of the tent trailer on it. I have checked out the Leesure lite trailer website and may continue on to Osoyoos after my servicing in Vancouver Weds and check it out? I plan on heading east through the mountains and camping out on the way home instead of heading north up the coast. Which motorcycle hitch do you use? One thing I like about this trailer is that it is designed to be hauled by motorcycles. I can see where a tent trailer could dramatically change my travel plans (or lack of plans).

Thanks for the info, Sarah
    I use BRP hitch , It is the best, If you stop in Kamloops i can show you my tent trailer and the update i did on it

Spyder Garage

Stopping in Kamloops would be great. I had planned to travel to Cache Creek anyway. Sarah