Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ANTI-SWAY BAR

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by major911 View Post
    I have my stock shocks set at 5 for handling but it makes for a very bumpy ride. Would adding the sway bar allow me to back the shocks off to 4 and still have the stability but with a little softer ride?
    I ride mostly two up so I left the setting at 5. All I can say try setting 4, but before doing that find a road with some hard turns and run it at 5. Then set your shocks to 4 and rerun the same section of road. I hope this helps.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Work wonders on handling. .!!

I installed mine in under an hour removing the frunk. I find it more comfortable to work better for centering and a good chance to grease the front end.
    20130128_093821.jpg 20130128_094432.jpg 20130201_102146.jpg 20130201_112005.jpg
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I installed mine in under an hour removing the frunk. I find it more comfortable to work better for centering and a good chance to grease the front end.
    20130128_093821.jpg 20130128_094432.jpg 20130201_102146.jpg 20130201_112005.jpg
    Removing the Frunk on an RS isn't all that difficult and really does afford an easier access to both the sway bar install and greasing the A-Arms. It looks much more intimidating that it really is.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    +1 No need to remove the trunk.
    Wish there was a nice how to video in the DYI forum for installing this anti sway bar without removing the trunk or at least a video of how to remove the trunk.
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ron can we get the new sway bar for the RSS in red now?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Removing the Frunk on an RS isn't all that difficult and really does afford an easier access to both the sway bar install and greasing the A-Arms. It looks much more intimidating that it really is.
    Ron, can you explain the difference between your bar and the stock bar? What is it about yours that makes such a huge difference in the handling?
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Spyder Garage

Smile BajaRon

Will the BajaRon sway bar help the 2013 rss spyder turn better or leave it alone?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brodyson View Post
    With a 2011 RT and Elka shocks, will I feel a difference with the new sway bar?
    The sway bar will create a bigger improvement than the shocks did.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default sway bar

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    Will the BajaRon sway bar help the 2013 rss spyder turn better or leave it alone?
    GET IT---YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by frenchek View Post
    GET IT---YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT
    ok thankyou

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by major911 View Post
    Ron, can you explain the difference between your bar and the stock bar? What is it about yours that makes such a huge difference in the handling?
    Wow! Not sure how I missed this post but they say; 'Better late than never!'. (Not sure that's always true)

The sway bar is simply a spring. Springs come in all different shapes and sizes, depending on the purpose. In my opinion, the stock sway bar is way too weak. It simply cannot handle the forces imposed on it.

There are several ways to make a sway bar stronger. Size, dimensions and steel compound are the major factors.

For normal driving, optimum handling means all 3 tires will lose traction at the same time. To get this you'd need to push your Spyder to the extreme limit which very few will ever do. But equal traction (front to back) in turns gives you maximum performance whether or not you ever brake a wheel loose. I know it sounds scary to have all 3 wheels brake loose at the same time but it really is a very mild, expected and controllable event. Your not really going from 100% traction to Zero. You don't go spinning off into oblivion. You simply begin to fade to the outside of the curve. This will usually occur at apex so you've got a lot of pavement to play with and just backing off on the power slightly brings everything back.

Like I said, very few will ever encounter this and if you do, you're most likely looking for it to begin with.

If the sway bar is too weak the front wheels lose traction first and 'Wash Out'. This happens much sooner than the 1st scenario given above. If the sway bar is too stiff, the rear wheel loses traction first causing the rear end to 'Kick-Out'.

Generally, the safest of all is for the front wheels to lose traction first which causes the rider to slow down to maintain control. However, there is some overall stability and rider control sacrificed, so you have to decide which way you want to go.

For the average driver, the worst situation is for the rear wheel to kick out which requires quick and correct reaction to maintain control. Though for a skilled driver in a race track environment, this may be exactly what you want.

If the manufacturer's goal is to keep cornering speeds low, then you want a weak sway bar. The vehicle is safe but the feeling is somewhat vague and uncertain compared to riding with a stiffer sway bar, especially if you are trying to go fast. The rider simply adjusts to riding curves at lower speeds.

Universal feedback that I get regarding the sway bar upgrade are;

Increased control in curves, crosswinds and when riding near large trucks on the freeway
    Increased overall stability
    Overall, better, more accurate steering
    Easier steering in curves
    Increased confidence and safety
    Increased stability and control in 'Evasive' maneuvers
    Increases the 'Fun Factor'

The other interesting comment I get is; 'I didn't think I needed this bar because I was quite happy with the way my Spyder handled stock. But I just didn't know what I was missing. I'm very glad I installed the bar.'

Hope this answers your long overdue question...
    Last edited by BajaRon; 11-29-2013 at 11:58 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Increased control in curves, crosswinds and when riding near large trucks on the freeway
    Easier steering in curves
    Increased stability and control in 'Evasive' maneuvers
    Like they say on that radio talk show, "Major Dittos!!!"
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn