Spyder Garage

Default RS parking brake adjustment

Does anyone else have an issue with the parking brake not holding adjustment? I have adjusted the parking brake several times and within a few days it will not hold the Spyder from rolling with the brake set. I have adjusted it several different ways with no success. The factory calls for the back wheel jacked off the ground, adjustment made with the 12mm wrench on the adjusting and locking nuts. Factory base setting in tighten the adjuster until the wheel will not turn, then back it off 4 full turns. I have tried that with no luck, I have adjusted it until the brake pedal only drops 4 to 5 clicks, still won't stay in adjustment. I even removed the adjustment lever on the rear shaft and moved it one spline and adjusted the nuts again. All the adjustments last about one week. Is this a common occurance? I have ordered a new brake cable, thinking the old cable has stretched. Does anyone have an idea??
    Last edited by DriftersWay; 07-22-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

The brake should set with 2-3 clicks of the pedal. No need to jack up the Spyder, etc., just adjust until it grabs where you want it to. The parking brake does change adjustment quite rapidly, but yours is way beyond normal. It also should hold the Spyder if set, even at 4-5 clicks. As long as it can be set tightly without activating the release mechanism, it should hold reasonably well. The problem could be with worn brake pads, a caliper problem, dirt/debris build-up, failure to release fully, etc. If you can't get it adjusted, it doesn't hold well, or it changes adjustment rapidly (providing it is releasing properly), I'd recommend having a dealer look at it. Given what you have said, I'd also inspect the rear brake pads for wear. At 1 mm (slightly less than the thickness of a dime, they should be replaced. If the parking brake does not release fully, they can wear fast and the brake adjustment will change rapidly.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

No problems so far!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..

have to agree with Scotty that its not normal the fact it won't hold the adjustment. If you followed all the right procedures it should hold and hold for some time. Even if the pads are worn it should hold. Seems there might be something else going on. Do check the pads and run it by the dealer and have them have a look. Good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Never had an issue with the parking brake holding position/setting. I use it a good bit, a few hills here in St. John's, and only ever have to adjust when pads wear down or when a new cable is installed and stretches slightly.

Check assemblies at each cable end to ensure security.

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go to the DIY or How to step by step forum, it has a film to show you how to do the brake adj, the film works because I used it with no issues

Spyder Garage

Default perhaps this is it

I'm only going to throw this out there because it happened to my 2009 GS. The locking nut that holds the cable clamp to the back hub assembly came off and my parking brake would not set, I ended up getting a new nut with some lock-tite and problem solved.
    ​KMORT44

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    Does anyone else have an issue with the parking brake not holding adjustment? I have adjusted the parking brake several times and within a few days it will not hold the Spyder from rolling with the brake set. I have adjusted it several different ways with no success. The factory calls for the back wheel jacked off the ground, adjustment made with the 12mm wrench on the adjusting and locking nuts. Factory base setting in tighten the adjuster until the wheel will not turn, then back it off 4 full turns. I have tried that with no luck, I have adjusted it until the brake pedal only drops 4 to 5 clicks, still won't stay in adjustment. I even removed the adjustment lever on the rear shaft and moved it one spline and adjusted the nuts again. All the adjustments last about one week. Is this a common occurance? I have ordered a new brake cable, thinking the old cable has stretched. Does anyone have an idea??
    It can be a few things that can cause this. The can be the cable is dry, get a cable lube kit and lube the cable or the rear brake needs a major adjustment as shown in the repair & maintenance manual or the brake caliper piston and pads or sticking or the major brake adjustment was done wrong or the brake adjustment spline is worn and slipping or the pads are worn or the adjustments nuts are not locked tight or the brake piston shaft needs to be cleaned and lubed with bake grease I always clean lube the brake and lube the cable when I do my yearly maintenance. That's IMHO.Mike

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did an adj about 4 mths ago, and it's need again (it does not hold at all) MY Fault I ran it about a mile with parking brake on 3 weeks ago.

Spyder Garage

The parking brake pedal was one of my least favorite things on the GS and RS models. I had the manual clutch on my 2008 so never used it--just left it in gear when parking.

The 2009 RS was a different situation. When it was working well, it was adjusted to go 2 or 3 clicks. The problem we ran into was that the spouse would overstep the 3 clicks, stretch the cable, and then it would need adjustment again. It also got messed up when she tried to drive it without releasing the parking brake. After a couple times at the dealer ($50) or so to fix it--I became good at adjusting the brake.

The suggestion to look up the video is a good one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Silvervette05 View Post
    I did an adj about 4 mths ago, and it's need again (it does not hold at all) MY Fault I ran it about a mile with parking brake on 3 weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The parking brake pedal was one of my least favorite things on the GS and RS models. I had the manual clutch on my 2008 so never used it--just left it in gear when parking.

The 2009 RS was a different situation. When it was working well, it was adjusted to go 2 or 3 clicks. The problem we ran into was that the spouse would overstep the 3 clicks, stretch the cable, and then it would need adjustment again. It also got messed up when she tried to drive it without releasing the parking brake. After a couple times at the dealer ($50) or so to fix it--I became good at adjusting the brake.

The suggestion to look up the video is a good one.
    I did that and trained myself to look at gauges and make the parking brake light is not flashing before I put it in gear. In bright light it sometimes hard to see.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Click out YouTube, there are several videos that go through step be step much clearer than the owner's manual. I adjusted mine once last year and haven't had to touch it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Silvervette05 View Post
    Go to the DIY or How to step by step forum, it has a film to show you how to do the brake adj, the film works because I used it with no issues
    Ditto on this. I adjusted mine often and wrong until I read the DIY section on this. When done correctly it will hold up for months if not years. This has been a bother on the RS since its inception.