Spyder Garage

Default New York Times Article on Trikes.

Romney & Boyd

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If I was 20 years younger I certainly would NOT be on three wheels. just saying I started off with a 100 cc Yamaha back in the mid sisties, had a 305 Honda dream, a 350 Jawa , a 650 Triumph , a 750 Magna, A 883 Sportster, 1100 Honda ACE, 1500 Kawi Nomad. and now at 63 I am on A Spyder. To me it was the wise choice at my age.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm 33 and healthy. I chose a Spyder. I'm also a geek, into new things, and had a father pass in a motorcycle accident, so I wanted something safer.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I feel like running over the little essobee that wrote that article with my wheelchair!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Don't forget to wear the hearing aid like they made reference to in the article also.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I feel like running over the little essobee that wrote that article with my wheelchair!
    Don't do that...just hit him with your cane!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

The one thing that does surprize me a little when you read the posts after the article is the way the 2 wheelers just hate trikes and the people that ride them? I just don't get it what's the big deal FFS? Their real passionate about it I will give them that much.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

There were only a few reader comments when I read the article the first time. Now, there are many more. Most of the comments are rude and mean spirited.
    Roberta
    ----------------------------------------------
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Spyder Garage

Default Buy it again

Quote Originally Posted by Rar View Post
    There were only a few reader comments when I read the article the first time. Now, there are many more. Most of the comments are rude and mean spirited.
    If I were 20 something, again I would buy a Spyder as well. (I don't think I would get a traditional trike though) I always want something a little different from the majority and I like the style, visibility and comfort of not having to put my feet down. I rode 'Wings back in the day and my buddy described them as "Low-Speed High-Drag" (compared to his Ninja). But I always had a faring, music and a sound track to my ride. He had poor posture and the skin on his face stretched back from acceleration!

The Spyder's safety is a factor NOW (couldn't walk for 6 months in my 20s due to a cycle accident, and there's a lesson you don't forget) but geezerdom aside, I would have one at any age. I like being different and getting the bit of extra attention. Anyone can ride a 'same ole same ole Harley'... but it takes a little rebellion and self confidence to ride something really unique.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

"Anyone can ride a 'same ole same ole Harley'... but it takes a little rebellion and self confidence to ride something really unique."

Roberta
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

They think that they are the only ones who can ride motorcycles and if you don't have two wheels, you're inferior. Well, the way I feel is - a Spyder is not a motorcycle. It is a Roadster, and a unique vehicle. We are priviliged to be able to own these Roadsters, and can go as fast, if not faster than they can. If you were at Lamont's barbeque, you saw an age spread from the late 20's to the 80's (sorry Forrest!).

I'm proud of our Spyders, they bring a lot of fun and adventure into our lives, the people who ride them are amazing, and we wouldn't have anything else!

Spyder Garage

I'm getting really tired of these purists

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruisersbaby View Post
    They think that they are the only ones who can ride motorcycles and if you don't have two wheels, you're inferior. Well, the way I feel is - a Spyder is not a motorcycle. It is a Roadster, and a unique vehicle. We are priviliged to be able to own these Roadsters, and can go as fast, if not faster than they can. If you were at Lamont's barbeque, you saw an age spread from the late 20's to the 80's (sorry Forrest!).

I'm proud of our Spyders, they bring a lot of fun and adventure into our lives, the people who ride them are amazing, and we wouldn't have anything else!

I was terrified to take my MSF course at 62. I'm proud that I passed it. I certainly dont have the experience as many of the posters seem to have. BUT....it seems I have more tolerance and appreciation for cycling than they.
    Roberta
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Spyder Garage

"Anyone can ride a 'same ole same ole Harley'... but it takes a little rebellion and self confidence to ride something really unique."

I tend to agree. The other interesting piece of data I was told by my Harley dealer is that the median age of new Tri-Glide sales ia 46. So it ain't just old folks buying three wheelers.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
    I'm getting really tired of these purists
    As a Bowhunter; I see it there also!

The only TRUE Bowhunters use longbows and wooden arrows with feather fletching...
    Compound Bows have "Training wheels" (sound familiar??)
    I won't even begin to mention what is said about crossbows...

Snobbery exists everywhere...

Spyder Garage

I started riding in 1961 with Triumph Bonneville's. Since then I have ridden many dozens of bikes and owned well over a dozen myself. Some I owned were iconic - Norton Commando, '73 Kawasaki Z900, etc. Many were were cruisers, other crotch rockets. All in all each had it's strengths and weakness. In fact, all were criticized by some reporter somewhere. Some pundits who claimed to know why people did this or that liberally lent their opinions to print (no internet then). Now many of those bikes are "classics" sought out by collectors. In fact I still ride an '86 Honda V65!

My point is this - the pundits can't see the future. In fact they want to sell their articles so they have to find fault so someone somewhere will read them. It is rare to find pundits that are objective and impartial. The more controversy the more money they make. You know what you want in a machine and that is what you should focus on. Soon, you'll find that the Spyder is common place and copied by many.

In all the motorcycles I have owned, the Spyder stands head and shoulders above the others. It accomplishes everything I want in this type machine. I would not trade it for any production motorcycle on the market today. I can say without fear of contradiction, that my decision to buy had nothing to do with my age or infirmity but strictly with the type of riding I do. I want to travel long distances and carry a lot of gear and this machines does that well.

Stay the course and ignore the others! You are the ones breaking the molds and leading motorcycles into the future.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

Default Mr Looney

New-Bee on the ROCK

I hear what your guys and gals are saying about safety..
    I am in China and you thing some places in USA are bad, thats a cake walk compared to here..
    I like all the safety features built into the

I have only known about this machine a few weeks now and really like what I see...... Hope go get on in the next year... But first must do my research and with a little help from you experienced riders maybe I can get a good one!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post
    New-Bee on the ROCK

I am in China and you thing some places in USA are bad, thats a cake walk compared to here..

I have only known about this machine a few weeks now and really like what I see...... Hope go get on in the next year... But first must do my research and with a little help from you experienced riders maybe I can get a good one!!
    Roberta
    2012 RT A&C SE-5
    Fog lights
    Cal-Sci Windshield

Spyder Garage

It's an offensive and idiotic article that shows the bias and ignorance of the author. I have NEVER had anyone come up to me on my Spyder and suggest it was a geriatric trike. They see high tech and cool and the Spyder's movie roles support it. On the other hand I've seen several recent comedies with old guys on Harleys. Maybe that's what they're pissed about. Lol
    2009 Spyder RS (non operational)
    2022 Spyder RT Limited
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    I started riding in 1961 with Triumph Bonneville's. Since then I have ridden many dozens of bikes and owned well over a dozen myself. Some I owned were iconic - Norton Commando, '73 Kawasaki Z900, etc. Many were were cruisers, other crotch rockets. All in all each had it's strengths and weakness. In fact, all were criticized by some reporter somewhere. Some pundits who claimed to know why people did this or that liberally lent their opinions to print (no internet then). Now many of those bikes are "classics" sought out by collectors. In fact I still ride an '86 Honda V65!

My point is this - the pundits can't see the future. In fact they want to sell their articles so they have to find fault so someone somewhere will read them. It is rare to find pundits that are objective and impartial. The more controversy the more money they make. You know what you want in a machine and that is what you should focus on. Soon, you'll find that the Spyder is common place and copied by many.

In all the motorcycles I have owned, the Spyder stands head and shoulders above the others. It accomplishes everything I want in this type machine. I would not trade it for any production motorcycle on the market today. I can say without fear of contradiction, that my decision to buy had nothing to do with my age or infirmity but strictly with the type of riding I do. I want to travel long distances and carry a lot of gear and this machines does that well.

Stay the course and ignore the others! You are the ones breaking the molds and leading motorcycles into the future.
    Well said!

BTW, I still own a 65 Bonneville.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

X2!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post
    New-Bee on the ROCK

Ni Hao.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post

Couldn't have said it any better. I get tired of any pundit, no matter whether they are political, writers, etc. They think their opinions are the right ones and they are above and beyond any one else. Thanks for stating what so many of us think!!