Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Angry RS Overheated - no coolant

So, today we were heading out for a ride with some of our 2 wheeler friends;
    I didn't even get out of the driveway before the RS overheated and went into limp mode.

So, I back it into the garage, and we took off, 2 up on the RT.

When we got back home, several hours later, and it was completely cool, we started it up again.
    Checked the fuses and relays.
    It idled for a few minutes and then the temp went straight up and off the chart again. (
    The fan did come on.)
    Got a high temp warning and went limp mode.

It has 16,469 miles.
    Back in July, at 14,500 miles, we had the big service done which included new fluids, including coolant. It's shown no signs of leakage.

The reservoir has no coolant in it..... zero.

My thoughts are, we should be seeing some coolant in there . . . at least to the minimum line.

Is this holding tank (reservoir) part of the pressure system?

Thoughts? Suggestions????

Spyder Garage

Yes, the coolant should be at least to the minimum line (cold). Yes, the coolant tank is pressurized.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

SpyderLovers Sponsor SPYDERPOPS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RS Overheated - no coolant

You may have a hole in the coolant tank. To test it remove the panels so you can see most of the tank.

Fill the tank with water and start the engine while watching the tank and hoses. If it is leaking you will be able to see the leak once it gets pressure built up.

Watch the temp gauge while performing the test.
    Last edited by SPYDERPOPS; 09-09-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Dang, how many times have we heard of this one.....

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

If the cap was not properly installed at the last service, it may go a long ways before you realize there's a problem. I opened mine the night before leaving for the Owners Event in Durango, to top off the coolant. Did not get the cap back on properly and rode from the Atlanta, GA area to north of Raton, NM before it overheated. It had puked coolant the last two fuel stops, so I had bought some 50/50 just in case. I was hoping it was just making room because I had overfilled it before leaving home. When I removed the cap to put in the new coolant & then reinstalled the cap, I knew then what the problem was. I'd had a very difficult time putting the cap on at home. When I put it on on the side of the road, it slipped right into place & I knew I had it right that time. No more problems.

I chalk it up as a self-inflicted wound. Hopefully you'll find your problem to be the same.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

As Mark related above, be sure the cap is turned to the second detent!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Lol. Not to laugh at your misfortune but that error is more popular than a cracked bottle. That's one of the reasons I do most of my own maintenance. Nobody loves your spyder like you do

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation WARNING: Cat's on her soapbox again......

Quote Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
    Lol. Not to laugh at your misfortune but that error is more popular than a cracked bottle. That's one of the reasons I do most of my own maintenance. Nobody loves your spyder like you do

Vaughn and I were discussing this matter last night. Several of our 'issues' have arisen not long after a service.
    Last edited by Spyder Cat; 09-13-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up CanAm oem parts link

thank you!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default replacements for relays

where's the best place to get relays?

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I agree with most of your rant. I disagree that you need some super garage and a degree in mechanical engineering to perform maintenance on the bikes.

One atv jack, some stands, a 3/8 driver set from sears, some Allen's and torx and maybe something to catch the oil or coolant in and your set... Oh and a TQ wrench.

Half of everything I owe to this site and the do it yourself entries.

The spyder can strand you, just like a car. Imagine if a relay went bad and you had it towed to a repair facility 300 miles away! Imagine if the bike relay went out in an autozone parking lot.

Recently someone had limp mode for led lights, far from home. This site an his perseverance paid off.

You owe it to yourself, honestly.

Spyder Garage

I have learned so much from this site that I have actually given advice to my dealer's tech! (good thing he likes me...or I'd be...well...)

I knew almost nothing about these things before joining this site. People here are super helpful and our Fearless Leader Lamont is the Man!!!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Spyderlovers ROCK!

I totally agree with you about how much Lamont and Spyderlovers has contributed to Spyder-dom at large.
    (Our dealer even admits sometimes he learns about what's going on here first, before he gets the info from BRP.)
    Anytime we have a problem, we've always found the answers here.

And this time is no different. From the info gained here, we went down the list and, after checking relays, etc.
    discovered that the cap on the reservoir was not tightened. (THANK YOU!!!! there is a 2nd notch!)
    So, this evening we added 1.5 litres of 50/50, started it up.... fan came on at 5 bars . . .
    and it got no hotter... a much-welcomed code-free zone.

So tomorrow I'll see if I can get it down the driveway and then maybe down the block and back . . .

We'll check in the morning to see if there's any dripping, as we don't know if there's a hole in the reservoir, hoses, etc.

Hopefully this will be the end of the chapter and we can all ride happily into the sunset.

(So far as the super garage and doing our own maintenance, Vaughn does a lot of it himself. He's been wrenching bikes since he was 15, and worked up to being parts manager at a big Honda dealer in So Cal before opening his own shop in So Ore. Nowdays, between the peg leg [left] and new knee [right], together with 60 year old bones and all their aches and pains, he was thinking his major wrenching days were behind him.)

Spyderlovers ROCK!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Cat View Post
    where's the best place to get relays?
    Direct from Mouser Electronics...

Search the forum for "mouser" and you will find the direct links to the relays... Very cheap - same relays as BRP.

Found it... http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...pQSHNqEA%3d%3d

Those are the smaller relays... if you have the 08/09 you can punch in the larger relay info and mouser has those too.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Update: RS coolant issue due to hole in reservoir

Wanted to post an update:

After adding refilling the coolant tank, I ran the RS around the driveway to let it heat up.
    It did not overheat but there was a trail of coolant everywhere I went.
    I could see coolant on the bottom of the reservoir.
    Couldn't tell if it was from a crack in the reservoir itself or a faulty connection.
    Lost 3/4 of the reservoir in less than 10 minutes.

Had it towed to the dealer yesterday, and within an hour they called back to report
    the problem is the reservoir has been rubbing against the frame resulting in a hole in the reservoir.

The part is on order and should arrive next week.
    When they install the new reservoir, they'll put in a pad to prevent contact between the two.

Could be a design flaw. . . . Might be something to watch for.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Overheating

I have posted on this problem several times. My 09 RS SM had this problem 3 weeks ago with 25k klm on the clock. Problem may have been caused by mechancial distress (pressure) causing tank to rub on frame. Problem may have been started by a loose or poor connection between loom and thermostat on upper right side which the dealer said was not sending any reading to the 'system' as reported by BUDS.

Since repair, no problems at all.

By way of caution I have wired up a manual toggle switch to control fan in addition to its programmed operation.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lapirow View Post
    I have posted on this problem several times. My 09 RS SM had this problem 3 weeks ago with 25k klm on the clock. Problem may have been caused by mechancial distress (pressure) causing tank to rub on frame. Problem may have been started by a loose or poor connection between loom and thermostat on upper right side which the dealer said was not sending any reading to the 'system' as reported by BUDS.

Since repair, no problems at all.

By way of caution I have wired up a manual toggle switch to control fan in addition to its programmed operation.
    not a bad idea at all.

guess i'm from the old school and would rather have gauges with numbers rather than lines that keep ya guessing....

Spyder Garage

I need one of these in aluminum from moroso or something. The welders I know weld seam lines on dairy tanks etc and don't fab . Money to be made here

Spyder Garage

Default Hey that was me, stranded in Nashville.

I agree with most of your rant. I disagree that you need some super garage and a degree in mechanical engineering to perform maintenance on the bikes.

One atv jack, some stands, a 3/8 driver set from sears, some Allen's and torx and maybe something to catch the oil or coolant in and your set... Oh and a TQ wrench.

The spyder can strand you, just like a car. Imagine if a relay went bad and you had it towed to a repair facility 300 miles away! Imagine if the bike relay went out in an autozone parking lot.

Recently someone had limp mode for led lights, far from home. This site an his perseverance paid off.

You owe it to yourself, honestly.
    If that was in July, It was me, stranded in Nashville. I ryde solo with my creator and this AWESOME group of individuals on this site. It was better than a dealership, cause they charge (when they're open, and they weren't for the 4th). I followed the majority suggestion and was back on the road after a visit to Walmart for the stock bulb. No Limp Mode since. But now I'm back here cause my coolant overflow tank has cracked. Thanks for the link to purchase. Dealer wants $175.00. I can do it for under $75.00 (with a little help from my SpyderFriends). Thanks again Y'all.
    St'09

Spyder Garage

Glad we could help, and good job!