Spyder Garage

Default Oil temperature Gauge

Hi,

After the clutch prematurely failed in my new RT and the dealer suggested that I had overheated it by excessively slipped the clutch, I want to install an Oil Temp Gauge to monitor engine oil temperatures. It looks like the best place to put the sensor is to splice it into the hose between the engine’s oil “out” fitting and the oil cooler.

Has anyone else installed an oil temp. gauge, and where did you pick up the temperature from. Thanks in advance.
    Scott H

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default oil temp

fyi harley has one on thir dip stick,i dont know how it would work an a syder?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default oooops

THAT SHOULD BE SPYDER

Spyder Garage

CBX; can't help you with the guage, but a lot of us were "easy riders" keeping the RPM's down thinking it was better on the motor and poss even saving gas. I had 15K on my '11 RT when BRP recently did the computer upgrade to increase the RPM's for gear down shifting, and cautioned us all to keep the RPM's up, well over 4K under normal running and for upshifting.

Some folks like to run up to 5K for shifting. I've had to do a little relearning and now make a lot more use of 4th gear, always downshifting when the RPM gets to 4K. And my milage seems to have improved slightly which suggests I was lugging the bike without really knowing it.

Spyder Garage

An oil temperature gauge will not likely help. Clutch overheating is a localized issue, and the overall oil temp is unlikely to rise. What happens is that the cltch plates can't dissipate the heat (into the oil) fast enough, warp, and burn. The best measure of clutch damage is more likely to be foound in regular oil testing after each oil change. If you ride an SM, be careful with the clutch. If you ride an SE, be sure not to upshift until the rpm in the higher gear will remain above 3,500.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default NANCYSTOY

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    An oil temperature gauge will not likely help. Clutch overheating is a localized issue, and the overall oil temp is unlikely to rise. What happens is that the cltch plates can't dissipate the heat (into the oil) fast enough, warp, and burn. The best measure of clutch damage is more likely to be foound in regular oil testing after each oil change. If you ride an SM, be careful with the clutch. If you ride an SE, be sure not to upshift until the rpm in the higher gear will remain above 3,500.
    How do you test the oil after each oil change?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    How do you test the oil after each oil change?
    You send a sample in to an oil testing firm.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cbxconnie View Post
    Hi,

After the clutch prematurely failed in my new RT and the dealer suggested that I had overheated it by excessively slipped the clutch, I want to install an Oil Temp Gauge to monitor engine oil temperatures. It looks like the best place to put the sensor is to splice it into the hose between the engine’s oil “out” fitting and the oil cooler.

Has anyone else installed an oil temp. gauge, and where did you pick up the temperature from. Thanks in advance.
    Scott H
    My clutch gave out after coming back from Spyderfest 2011 (bought my brand new in November '10) with 3700 miles. After going back and forth with the dealer and BRP, the cluctch was rebuilt. A cause of the problem was never determined, but as of today (11,000 miles) so far my has worked flawlesly. I monitor the oil closely and have it changed at the required intervals, being milage or time. One thing that I have learned after the issue (thanks to this website) is that the SM-5 clutch is VERY sensitive, I stopped touching the clutch lever (I would have my hand on it even when I wasn't using it) and to shift at high RPM's since Rotax engines love that.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You send a sample in to an oil testing firm.
    Thanks, never heard of anybody doing that before.