Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Utopia Back Rest for RT

I've read alot about them and looked at many pictures and all looks good. I'm looking into getting one ordered soon but was just wondering what you guys out there, that have them on their RTs, think of them.

Anything about the backrest you don't care for?

How easy was it to install?

Also I'm a bigger guy, how strong/sturdy is the seat & brackets?

Did anyone opt for the quick out option, if so how do you like it?

Thank you all in advance for your comments,

Brad
    My Heaps:

2010 Spyder RT-AC SE5

1987 BUICK Turbo T - TURBO SBC Project still in the works - (11.3 @ 121 without the turbo installed N/A)

RIP - 1982 OLDS CUTLASS 11.02 @ 129.2mph

Sold -- 1987 BUICK Turbo T W02 11.61 @ 118mph

Sold -- 2004 DODGE SRT-4 S2 13.0 @ 111.9 mph

"...there's two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will see 'em,
    but the only thing that matters is that little line between 'em..."

Spyder Garage

Hey Brad-

I'm 6'1", 270lb. I LOVE mine. One of the top 3 mods I've done. I lean back into it a lot, hard, and it shows NO signs of movement.

I detailed the install here:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...4&postcount=58
    -and-
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...4&postcount=72

I have not done the quick release. So far no need.

Spyder Garage

I couldn't get the Utopia backrest I tried to adjust to suit my needs, but that's just me. They seem to be well made, and they compliment the stock Spyder seat, looking jyust like a factory piece. If you like using a backrest, this seems to be a good one. If I was shaped differently, I'd have one.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 07-02-2011 at 07:36 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I qualify as a "big guy" and have no questions concerning the sturdiness of the backrest and the bracket. My RT has the first Utopia backrest built for the RT and therefore has had it installed longer than any other. (The black RT and yellow GS/RS on his website are mine. The closeups of the Utopia backrest and passenger backrest are mine) I have found no negative aspects to the backrest. I also ride standing with my feet on lower highway pegs and lean against the backrest with no problems.

This is my 4th bike with the Utopia, one of which has had it for 9 years. No problems with the backrest or the saddle.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Find out for yourself

Brad,

Teddy has it on his new Viper REDSpYderFest EdDition RT-S & we love it. Let me know when your free & we'll stop by and you can take it for a spin yourself & make your own decision

Spyder Garage

All I can add is make sure that you are comfortable on the factory seat before putting money into the backrest.
    I have one and love it!, but the factory seat makes me feel, as another member put it one time, as if I am sitting on top of the Spyder rather than sitting in it. I have thought about getting a used Corbin (sit in it feel and the gas door) or keeping my seat with the money already spent on the backrest and cut some out of the seat to give me the sit in not sit on feeling that I am pretty sure I want.
    If you are comfortable on the factory seat and you are looking for that lean back crusing comfort, then the utopia is an excellent choice and it looks OEM which is a plus as well.
    Good luck on your up coming choice

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Nancy's Back

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I couldn't get the Uptopia backrest I tried to adjust to suit my needs, but that's just me. They seem to be well made, and they compliment the stock Spyder seat, looking jyust like a factory piece. If you like using a backrest, this seems to be a good one. If I was shaped differently, I'd have one.
    Why does it have to be shaped different, do you have a different back from the rest of us??

Spyder Garage

I'm very happy with mine, very happy indeed.
    As to the install, it's far harder to get the dam* seat off and on than it is to install the Utopia.

Make sure you put some duct tape over the holes in the back so you don't lose any of the nuts, bolts, or spacers when you remove the seat.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I love my Utopia Backrest. I have ridden approx 12000 miles with it, and since having it , there is no distance I would be afraid to ride... Before the backrest I would get stiff or achy from 400 miles in a day, now 600 to 700 is no problem.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I qualify as a "big guy" and have no questions concerning the sturdiness of the backrest and the bracket. My RT has the first Utopia backrest built for the RT and therefore has had it installed longer than any other. (The black RT and yellow GS/RS on his website are mine. The closeups of the Utopia backrest and passenger backrest are mine) I have found no negative aspects to the backrest. I also ride standing with my feet on lower highway pegs and lean against the backrest with no problems.

This is my 4th bike with the Utopia, one of which has had it for 9 years. No problems with the backrest or the saddle.
    After some input from Mark Lawson, I ordered a backrest and had it shipped to my dealer to install when BR1 arrived....3 weeks later. I am 6'4", 215...I love the backrest. Thanks, Mark.

Last edited by Mr. White; 07-04-2011 at 11:42 AM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I'm very happy with mine, very happy indeed.
    As to the install, it's far harder to get the dam* seat off and on than it is to install the Utopia.

Make sure you put some duct tape over the holes in the back so you don't lose any of the nuts, bolts, or spacers when you remove the seat.
    It is a GREAT additiioon. Installation can be an issue as stated above, also aligning the holes was interesting. But I would do it again in a minute!!!

Ephesians 2:8-9

Spyder Garage

I just complete a 4000 mile trip in 7 days with the back rest and had no problems with it. I did however, cut about 1 1/2 inches of foam out of the seat to make it more of a dish (bowl)feeling (like my HD) and again no sore issues to deal with. They at the time did not have a 2011 model so I used a 2010 and it bolted right in. Life is good

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredCGRider View Post
    Why does it have to be shaped different, do you have a different back from the rest of us??
    I have scoliosis and a deepy curved lumbar region. I also tend to tilt quite far forward at the hip. There is only a small region of my lumbar that feels comfortable with anything touching it, as a result. A much smaller backrest, with more downward and forward adjustment would be be necessary to not cause me discomfort or pain. To put it in fewer words, Nancy says I'm not normal!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Smile Great Backrest

I have had my Utopia backrest for a year now and love it. So nice to have that back support and it is still a solid fit. I must admit that it was a tongue twister getting the 2 bolts in under the seat into the bracket. Cutting through the seat was a bit disturbing, hoping I did not do it wrong, but that was then and now I love it.

Spyder Garage

Will take delivdery on my Spyder week after next - currently use a backrest on my BMW and really like it. Will it work with the Spyder comfort seat on a RS? Looks like most of the folks whio have posted are RT owners.
    Thanks.
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Spyder Garage

Default Utopia Back Rest

What can I say - I held off for ages, now I have one and they are awesome.. I am a high mileage user and thoroughly recommend the Utopia. Thing looks stock as well.

Just my Two Bobs Worth!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
    Will take delivdery on my Spyder week after next - currently use a backrest on my BMW and really like it. Will it work with the Spyder comfort seat on a RS? Looks like most of the folks whio have posted are RT owners.
    Thanks.
    David,

Take a look at their website ( http://www.utpr.com/spyder.html ) They makes one specifically for the comfort seat.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Utopia Backrest for the Spyder RT

Just received and fitted the Utopia Backrest from Bob (Utopia Products -USA)

Had to wait for delivery about 3 weeks USA to UK
    Fitted it yesterday with some help - Great advice found on this website
    ref Seat removal - Blocking the rear holes etc

Well worth the wait - Excellent product - Very well made and looks part of the Spyder - Test rode and my ride comfort has improved - Doing long distance should not be a problem
    Hope not - as I am planning a trip to Germany (Ist time taking a vehicle over to mainland Europe) in Sept

Might meet up with some Spyder owners over there

As always great advice and information from the members of this website
    Thanks everyone

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Spyder – RT-S SES (AUTO 2010 Modes)

List of Mods :-
    Added Zuno 660 -Garmin kit as supplied on the Spyder RT Limited
    LED Bulbs Reversing Lights,Front position lights
    HMT - Brake Light
    LED – Running lights
    LED - Mud Flap lights
    Rear extended Mud Flap
    Sport Tall Wide Clear Windshield
    Utopia Backrest
    S/S Grills both sides matching
    Bottom Panel S/S Protection
    Rubber Tank protector on glove box
    Grip Puppies
    Power Socket in Switch Cluster
    Rear Speaker Switch for passenger On/OFF
    Upgraded Front Marine Speakers
    Bluetooth On board Radio to Sena SMH10 Headsets

Spyder Garage

After having mine installed so far this season, I've observed one small issue.

The hardware has a tendency to loosen up with use. Specifically, the adjustment screw at the base.

This is the screw that sets the amount of lean of the backrest, forward or back.

A little blue Loctite and I'm good to go.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine is due to arrive tomorrow! Ye-haw. Should be doing install Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I'm repeating a question I've asked before but didn't get a lot of answers so I'm tossing it in here since so many of you have the Utopia. From what I'm reading above, it seems that the backrest has little or no back/forward give.....is this correct? If so, then it won't work for me as I had one on a previous 2 wheeler with absolutely no "give" and it seemed to scrub my back when going over bumps and I took it off. I have back issues that are relieved by a softer movement. Right now I'm using a stuffed leather bag which works pretty well but doesnt look so good. However, I do have a Utopia on a Helix scooter that does have a fair amount of 'give" and I love it.

Edited to add: went back up and read Phil's addition of the innertube for more lower back support and that sounds like something I can use if I do install the backrest.

I have a Utopia on the way but am uncertain about installing it. Wish I could find someone with one installed on an RT.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 07-25-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I'm repeating a question I've asked before but didn't get a lot of answers so I'm tossing it in here since so many of you have the Utopia. From what I'm reading above, it seems that the backrest has little or no back/forward give.....is this correct? If so, then it won't work for me as I had one on a previous 2 wheeler with absolutely no "give" and it seemed to scrub my back when going over bumps and I took it off. I have back issues that are relieved by a softer movement. Right now I'm using a stuffed leather bag which works pretty well but doesnt look so good. However, I do have a Utopia on a Helix scooter that does have a fair amount of 'give" and I love it.

I have a Utopia on the way but am uncertain about installing it. Wish I could find someone with one installed on an RT.
    The backrest on your Helix is likely only using the seat-pan for support, so there is likely some flex. Our Silverwing scooter was like that. The backrest on the RT uses the spine of the RT for support, so it is rock solid.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    After having mine installed so far this season, I've observed one small issue.

The hardware has a tendency to loosen up with use. Specifically, the adjustment screw at the base.

This is the screw that sets the amount of lean of the backrest, forward or back.

A little blue Loctite and I'm good to go.
    Hmm, after reading this, I had to go look at mine & found it as you say, except I've never had mine budge. Sounds like a good solution you've suggested.

My Goldwing Utopia backrest has a set-nut that tightens to keep the adjustment in place. I bought that Utopia in 2002, so they've apparently made changes...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

The Utopia was the first mod I had installed. It was put on my RTS during set up. I liked the Utopia and the way it matched up to the original seat.

It turned out to be a big mistake for me--because within 500 miles, I decided I did not like the stock seat. I ended up purchasing a Corbin and backrest.

I have a brand new RTS stock seat with the PE # embroidered on it, and the Utopia attached.

I am not going to sell this part separate--as the special seat should go with the bike when I decide to trade or sell.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-25-2011 at 11:27 AM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We both have back issues and my wife has had surgery. Since I installed the backrest we have not had backaches. Would never ride without one again.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.