Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Had all I can stand can't stand no more; Popeye.

I won't bore you with all the problems I've had with my 2011 R/TS but you read the forum, we've experienced most of them. Between two clusters I now have close to 10,000 miles. I have a question that might clearup my DPS warnings as of late. The bike has been in the shop three times for DPS, drag it home warning the last two months. We would like to travel on it but have no confidence in the what ever it is. Yesterday the Mrs. and I went down to Sarasota, twenty miles, visted my Brother and turned for home. I keep hearing a clunking sound when the attitude of the machine changed but told myself I'd check it back at the house. In a straight line drive @ 45mph the DPS light came on and again get it to the house mode. Twenty miles later we limped into the house where I took pictures of the cluster and shut the machine down (found no codes). Pulled the key waited reinserted the key and fired up. No indication of a problem. Shut back down. Had the Mrs. stand on the pegs and rock the bike, again you could hear a clunking sound coming from the front end. I put my head in the left front wheeel well and had Mrs. rock the boat. The clunking was coming from a loose dog bone where the sway bar bolts to the A frame. I tightened it up and rode the bike twenty miles with no problem. My question is DPS always electricial in nature or could the loose sway bar end cause the DPS warning? I'd like to stay away from the dealer if I could as they have turned into the Dentist I hate to visit. He's a nice guy but is over his head relating to Spyders. I traded a Road King for this pleasure and bought the 622 matching trailer; what was I thinking. I've checked all things electrical that I've seen on this forum and found everything OK. The last time, last week, it was in the shop Jr. Spyder tech said my battery conection was rusty and the service manager said he was going to have to charge me the next time I come in. I reminded him in my best behavior it was still under warranty, fix it.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Had all I can stand can't stand no more; Popeye.

I think that loose connection could definitely be the cause and causing the sensors some grief.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

alwas rember to check fusess and relays they vibrate loose just like what you found ,i check mine every 500 miles and the battery cables vibrate loose too.these things get loose all kinds of bad things happen,and its a good idea to keep a battery tender on all times your not riding.

Spyder Garage

Most likely cause of DPS warnings with no active fault code...loose battery connections, dirty/corroded battery connections, bad battery. If your dealer did not find any past codes in BUDS, this is even more likely. It is possible that the steering sensors need calibration, but that seldom occurs suddenly. Second most likely is having your foot riding/touching the brake pedal without actually applying the brake, but the dealer should have seen past codes that indicate this.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sure does stink when you something that you buy for fun turns out to be anything but! No active error codes IS a mystery; but that funky swaybar connection sure couldn't have been helping the situation at all...
    We seem to hear a lot about the battery being the source of a lot of the fun with these machines; it's never a bad idea to take a good look at them for potential trouble spots.
    Anyway; I'm sorry to hear that you've been in it this deep; here's to hoping that you can find an easy and painless way out! Good Luck! Please let us know what you find...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default had all I can.........

I know your grief had lots of problems with my r/t the dog bone lose could be the trouble. my r/t the censers on front end were not calibrated one saying up other saying down. hope you good luck with yours I finaly got mine fixed an now love it. Pete
    my wife and I on our 2011 spyder-rt-L'IL Red