Spyder Garage

Default How to get upgraded lower panel and oil filter cap

I change my own oil and do what ever maintenance I can on my 2011 Spyder RT. I'm not sure I've got this right but ...
    I never received a voucher or notice for the lower panel update or the new oil filter can. I called BRP they said only the dealer can order the parts for me. The dealer said that they will not place the order without the voucher and the only way to get the new oil filter can was for them to preform an oil change ($120+oil+filter) or at the next scheduled maintenance visit ($230+oil+filter+parts).

Can this possibly be right?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DMENTR View Post
    I change my own oil and do what ever maintenance I can on my 2011 Spyder RT. I'm not sure I've got this right but ...
    I never received a voucher or notice for the lower panel update or the new oil filter can. I called BRP they said only the dealer can order the parts for me. The dealer said that they will not place the order without the voucher and the only way to get the new oil filter can was for them to preform an oil change ($120+oil+filter) or at the next scheduled maintenance visit ($230+oil+filter+parts).

Some dealers have provided/installed the new panel without the voucher and some have not (per numerous posts). My dealer in Chesapeake VA required the voucher. You should have received the voucher and the new mx schedule from BRP IF your dealer registered your Spyder with BRP. I've read here that some dealers fail to do this and BRP doesn't know who those Spyder owners are in order to send them the voucher/mx schedule.

Your dealer should sell you the new filters and the new tranny filter cap without them doing the oil change. If not then perhaps checking with other dealers in the area may be an option. My dealer installed the new filters/cap on my 600 my service. I purchased the filters from them and did my own 5000 mile oil change.

Good luck.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

I had a voucher and all those things were installed; the only time I've ever had a dealer do an oil change. Since I like to have a filter or two on hand I bought some from the dealer and the only thing they had were the kits which include Cap, filter & o ring and the cost was about $7.80....basic price, I believe, of a single filter. The had not yet got a supply of individual filters. If you're a do-it-yourselfer, it might pay to just buy the the panels and put them on yourself and if you buy the filter you'll prob get the kit like I did.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm having my oil changed at my dealer this week so that I can get the new panel but I'm supplying my own Amsoil. I figure it is worth it this time to pay them just to get the panel.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DMENTR View Post

Find a new dealer. The new filter cap and filter are offered for sale by any decent dealer, and they will probably order the panel kit for you too.

Dealers like the one you have identified here don't deserve your business. IMO

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Had mine replaced

Had mine replaced Friday and $190.00 later have the newer panel installed. Was out the door in the parking lot when I notice the
    mirror about to fall off. Couldn't believe that they would send me on my way with the tab broken off. But after complaining that
    when I came in mirror was on the bike they took one off another bike in the showroom.
    Anyway, now I remember why I started changing my own oil. And side note, I'm not totally sure but looks like if you have Spyderpops grills that side doesn't fit anymore. So waiting to hear if there will be a newer version on that. Has anybody else had that problem or
    did you modify the old one?
    States Judy and I have visited so far on the

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I get my voucher in the mail from BRP. The dealer installed the panels on my 600 miles check. I called the service mgr 2 weeks before my 600m schedule which made the issue easier.

Spyder Garage

Default How to get upgraded lower panel and oil filter cap

First as mentioned you should have received the Voucher. There's a chance your dealer never registered your Spyder. You need the Voucher to avoid paying for the Panel parts.

Call another dealer, give them the VIN as ask if they could check if your Spyder is registered with BRP.

Now with regard to the panel, assuming you have the Voucher, my wife's Dealer was told by BRP Canada:
    1) If you (Dealer) are doing an oil change install the panel no charge.
    2) If the customer just wants the panel installed the dealer can charge for the installation.
    3) If the customer wishes to install the panel themselves, give it to them.

She chose Option3. Its a straighforward install other than the 'freakin' mirror off/on.

Well worth the time and makes for an easier oil change. And you no longer have to remove the 'freakin' mirror.

John
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"