Spyder Garage

Default DPS Problems. Anyone else?

Mine is a 09 gs/rs manual 10k miles, 3 years old without a single problem until now.

I was out riding with some sports bike this weekend, rode about 150 miles total and the spyder ran great until I reached 85+ mph. The steering would start shaking back and forth, DPS would scroll across screen, check engine light would come on and I would have to restart to clear the errors. Then it would run fine again until I reached 85+mph and the same thing would happen… did this 4 different times. Finally the last time I did not let off right away and it went in limp mode where I had to pull over and let the spyder sit for a few minutes to clear the errors. I’ve never had a problem with the steering, I did get the updates and the replacement DPS that was offered about a year ago and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Or if there are newer updates that correct this. It almost seems if the front tires were unbalanced but I would think you would feel it at a slower speeds also. It’s in the shop now, service manger said it would take 3-4 weeks for repairs. Any suggestions on what it could be? I did replace the front tires not to long ago with car tires and didn't balance them. could this be it?
    Last edited by ozzie; 09-06-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    09 Phanthom

Spyder Garage

The unbalanced car tires would be high on my list of where to check first. 3-4 Weeks to get it serviced????????? That seems like a lot of to me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Three or Four Weeks?????????????????

Time for a maintenance shop change.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS Problems. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Three or Four Weeks?????????????????

Time for a maintenance shop change.
    Agree. That time frame is unacceptable.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Agree. That time frame is unacceptable.
    But not uncommon.

Spyder Garage

Default TAKE IT HOME

then most definately get your fronts balanced. the wheel shake probably freaked out the computer
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    But not uncommon.
    Just got BR1 out of the shop after six plus weeks awaiting parts and repair....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

6 + weeks? that's terrible..
    good thing you had the Honda

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
    Mine is a 09 gs/rs manual 10k miles, 3 years old without a single problem until now. I was out riding with some sports bike this weekend, rode about 150 miles total and the spyder ran great until I reached 85+ mph. The steering would start shaking back and forth, DPS would scroll across screen, check engine light would come on and I would have to restart to clear the errors.
    If this was the 1st time you'd done 85 since fitting your unbalanced tires... Well, you can't tell how much a tire is out of balance by looking at it, but generally the faster you go when there is a balance problem the worse it's likey to show, so I'd say you need to have them balanced and by the dealer who has your Spyder in his workshop, cos it occurs to me that "repairs" may not be necessary once he's done that. Maybe. Here's hoping.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default automotive tires

Brp uses the Kenda tire for the simple reason the sidewalls are soft and spongy, they allow the front wheels to absorb some of the negative energy created. An underinflated tire will allow out of balanced tires not to show alot of evidence there is a problem, another reason for running them @ 15-18 psi. { Softer ride to }The right question was asked in recent comments, "Have you ran 85+ since the new tires were installed..Balance your tires.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

... I did get the updates and the replacement DPS that was offered about a year ago and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?
    2008 RS SM5 with 150K miles: 5 DPS's change during the "DPS fiasco", since than no problems.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    The right question was asked in recent comments, "Have you ran 85+ since the new tires were installed..Balance your tires.
    Hmmm, It was the first time at 85+ mph on the new tires. - That must it!! . But wouldn't you feel some type of shaking at 50-70 mph too? There is none, smooth as can be. I’m going to let the dealer diagnose it and connect to bubs before giving my opinion and asking them to balance the tires. I heard there were some service bulletins with software upgrades available, anyone know for sure?
    09 Phanthom

Spyder Garage

Hmmm, It was the first time at 85+ mph on the new tires. - That must it!! . But wouldn't you feel some type of shaking at 50-70 mph too? There is none, smooth as can be. I’m going to let the dealer diagnose it and connect to bubs before giving my opinion and asking them to balance the tires. I heard there were some service bulletins with software upgrades available, anyone know for sure?
    You seem to be looking for a whole lot of shaking going on where the unbalanced front tires you fitted are NOT to blame. Easy enough to establish -- ask the dealer to swap your tires for a balanced pair and then take your Spyder out and wind it up to 85+. The problem will be revealed to you in an instant, or maybe it won't. It's your call.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Lots of times tires will not show imbalance at lower speeds. Bubble balanced wheels can readily show a shake at highway speeds, but not around town or on rural roads. Wheels balanced on a slower speed spin balancer can show imbalance when used at very high speeds. Law enforcement, racing, and other high speed vehicles usually use a high-speed spin balancer to avoid that problem, spinning the wheels somewhat faster than they expect them to be driven. If a tire is bad, or had to have a lot of weight to balance it, the balance can change with speed.

A tire which has tread that is separating will often show a "hop" at higher speeds, that is not evident at lower rates of rotation. This is hard to differentiate from an imbalance issue. Basically the tire shape goes out of round as the speeds increase and the tire rotates.

At the higher speeds the wheel trueness also comes into play. Small differences in the tread shape or the wheel runout can become problematic at high rotation speeds. My dad used to use a wheel truing machine to adjust cop car tires. It rotated them at the equivalent of 120 mph, and shaved off the tread until they were perfectly round. It made a difference in high speed chases.

I'm inclined to believe that your problem is more likely suspension related if the wheels are true, radially and laterally, and the tires are balanced. Slightly worn shock bushings, tie-rod ends, or ball joints can cause a shake at high speeds...in addition to wearing tires prematurely. No play is acceptable in these components. Check carefully, and if anything is bad replace it, align the front end, and recalibrate the steering sensors.

Please note that none of these issues will shown in BUDS. The only thing that could possibly show up there would be a steering issue that was the root of the shaking...and that is unlikely. This is a job for a mechanic more than a technician...and this stuff isn't in the book.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If a tire is bad, or had to have a lot of weight to balance it, the balance can change with speed.
    A tire which has tread that is separating will often show a "hop" at higher speeds, that is not evident at lower rates of rotation. This is hard to differentiate from an imbalance issue. Basically the tire shape goes out of round as the speeds increase and the tire rotates.
    I'm inclined to believe that your problem is more likely suspension related if the wheels are true, radially and laterally, and the tires are balanced. Slightly worn shock bushings, tie-rod ends, or ball joints can cause a shake at high speeds...in addition to wearing tires prematurely. No play is acceptable in these components. Check carefully, and if anything is bad replace it, align the front end, and recalibrate the steering sensors.

Just doin' my best imitation of BajaRon and cutting what Scotty has said down to the chunky bits that have meat on them...

But...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

Please note that none of these issues will shown in BUDS. The only thing that could possibly show up there would be a steering issue that was the root of the shaking...and that is unlikely. This is a job for a mechanic more than a technician...and this stuff isn't in the book.
    Just got a call from the dealer, bike is ready. According to them the problem was to much air in the front tires throws the sensors off. Don’t laugh… I had 29psi vs. the recommended 17psi. Which I knew was for the factory tires but I thought the car tires needed more. ( guess you don’t go by what’s on the tire ) Does anyone have car tires? What’s your psi? I’ll report back after going 85+ mph.

i will also check for worn shock bushings, tie-rod ends, or ball joints, thanks for the advise.
    09 Phanthom

Spyder Garage

Default balance?

they did not balance the tires at all ?
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    they did not balance the tires at all ?
    no, they don't have the equipment and neither do the 3 other dealers I called. Guess I’ll have to take it to a tire shop if this doesn’t work.
    09 Phanthom

Spyder Garage

Default Could go with Ride-on

no, they don't have the equipment and neither do the 3 other dealers I called. Guess I’ll have to take it to a tire shop if this doesn’t work.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Mine is a 09 gs/rs manual 10k miles, 3 years old without a single problem until now.

I was out riding with some sports bike this weekend, rode about 150 miles total and the spyder ran great until I reached 85+ mph. The steering would start shaking back and forth, DPS would scroll across screen, check engine light would come on and I would have to restart to clear the errors. Then it would run fine again until I reached 85+mph and the same thing would happen…
    Problem solved - To much air pressure in the front tires... test drove today at 100mph no shaking, no errors, $50 later lesson learned! even with car tires only use 17-20 psi.
    09 Phanthom

Spyder Garage

Problem solved - To much air pressure in the front tires... test drove today at 100mph no shaking, no errors, $50 later lesson learned! even with car tires only use 17-20 psi.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!