Spyder Garage

Default Replacement Key?

After my wife & I finished working on our Spyders (put new GloRyder lights on my Spyder and wife replaced batteries in her GloRyder lights on her Spyder), we took both Spyders on several errands (gas, dinner, shopping) near our house. After parking them in the garage, she tells me that I had her key to my Spyder. (We keep each other's spare key in event of emergency). Since I always leave my key in my Spyder unless we're away from home, I informed her that the key in the bike was my key! She then informs me that she used her key when she pulled it out of the garage (which was weird, because I leave my key in the Spyder while parked in the garage). Regardless, we've lost one spare key to my Spyder. Classic case of HE DID/SHE DID; but lost key nevertheless! So how difficult is it to obtain a replacement key? I've ordered an IPS and it was shipped yesterday, but I want to make sure we have a spare key in the 'unlikely' event we, er, um, lose a key...

Thanks!

Mark D. Harrington
    Retired USAF (MSgt)

Bikes:
    2005 Honda Shadow 750
    2010 AutoMoto (150cc)
    2012 Can Am RT Limited - White (Wife's)
    2012 Can Am RT Limited - White (Mine)

Spyder Garage

Default Replacement Key?

My dealer made me a third key, he had blanks, but you need to bring any key(s) that you have to him so that they will "pair" about 35.00 if i remember correctly

Joe

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I didn't have the help of my wife, but I also managed to lose a key, and I was about to post the same question. Since it's going in for ACS problem anyway hopefully they can get it done at the same time.
    Dan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Spare and paired" keys have always been a decent source of debate; largely due to the huge differences in what the dealers can charge to pair them up...
    We don't carry our 2nd key with us; that's what being darn good and careful is for! .
    But... I do keep two unpaired spares: one with me and one on the bike just in case a jacket gets thrown in the frunk with the real key in a pocket...
    Ilco's X270 blank works perfectly to make up such a key...
    And they WILL start the bike; just get the real key close enough to transmit to the computers and you're off to the races!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default lost key replacement

The DESS system in the Spyder must have at least one previously programmed key to program a new key. So if you lose all your programmed keys the ignition switch and DESS have to be replaced. The dealer can cut and program a replacement key for you. A side benefit is the lost key if found by someone with bad intentions it will no longer work. Another option would be to go to a lock smith and get new key cloned (again you must have a working key). I tried this but the lock smith could not get the blank in a reasonable amount of time and the wholesaler required a large minimum order.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default operators guide

From the 2011 RT operators guide.

lost key.JPG

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Lost key

Run down to Woodbridge. They'll take care if it. I had an extra made a couple of years ago.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I tried this but the lock smith could not get the blank in a reasonable amount of time and the wholesaler required a large minimum order.
    You can buy the Ilco X270 online...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Appreciate the tip, Bob. But since I'm down to only one programmed key, I'll have to have the dealer make up one (or more) when I bring it in next week.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Default Not clonable

You can make a copy using Ilco X270 but it won't start the Spyder. I was looking for a blank with the correct chip type that my lock smith can make into a fully functional clone of an original key.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Replacement Key?

Does the Dealer need the bike to program a spare key or just one of the originals?
    2015 SE6 RT-S
    Black/Red Special Edition.

Spyder Garage

The dealer needs the Spyder and all of the keys. Any keys he does not have at the time of programing a new key will no longer work.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Replacement ing.

[I have a new factory ing switch. I bought it to replace mine with a broken key but got a locksmith and pulled the broken key out and put everything back together. It has both keys and the spare lock for the trailer .

QUOTE=SpyderMarkus;511059]After my wife & I finished working on our Spyders (put new GloRyder lights on my Spyder and wife replaced batteries in her GloRyder lights on her Spyder), we took both Spyders on several errands (gas, dinner, shopping) near our house. After parking them in the garage, she tells me that I had her key to my Spyder. (We keep each other's spare key in event of emergency). Since I always leave my key in my Spyder unless we're away from home, I informed her that the key in the bike was my key! She then informs me that she used her key when she pulled it out of the garage (which was weird, because I leave my key in the Spyder while parked in the garage). Regardless, we've lost one spare key to my Spyder. Classic case of HE DID/SHE DID; but lost key nevertheless! So how difficult is it to obtain a replacement key? I've ordered an IPS and it was shipped yesterday, but I want to make sure we have a spare key in the 'unlikely' event we, er, um, lose a key...

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You can make a copy using Ilco X270 but it won't start the Spyder. I was looking for a blank with the correct chip type that my lock smith can make into a fully functional clone of an original key.
    We keep our "Dumb" spare for that odd chance that I throw my key in a jacket pocket, and then pitch the jacket into the frunk...

Oh... You can start and run the bike on the dumb key; you just need to put a "real" key close enough to the ignition switch when trying to start the bike.
    (I just don't know why you'd need to do that; other than for entertainment purposes... )

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy OZ

Hi all here in oz a new key will cost you $100 so im very careful with mine.
    cheers mick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

that price seems a bit out of the realm of reasonable...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default not in oz

that price seems a bit out of the realm of reasonable...

yeah it might be in the US but when an RT LTD costs 44,000 new and thats the discount price i paid 20,000 for my 2012 RS SM5 and people here were amazed i got it for that as people last year paid 27,000 for an RS SM5

cheers mick

Spyder Garage

I recently had an extra key made: (price approx $80
    Dealer ordered the blank.
    I took it to locksmith for cutting.
    Back to dealer for programming.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One more thing to worry about???
    That ain't fair; Sparks! I'm not even done digesting turkey yet!

Spyder Garage

We keep our "Dumb" spare for that odd chance that I throw my key in a jacket pocket, and then pitch the jacket into the frunk...

Oh... You can start and run the bike on the dumb key; you just need to put a "real" key close enough to the ignition switch when trying to start the bike.
    (I just don't know why you'd need to do that; other than for entertainment purposes... )
    If for some reason you need to replace the ignition switch (other then losing all your keys). The dealer can use a dumb key and one of the old keys in the programing sequence so that you don't have to buy a new DESS unit.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I wonder what the lifespan of the RFID chip in the key is?
    The MTBF (mean time between failure) of any electronic component is finite.

"Oh sorry, your keys both crapped out so your DESS module must be replaced. A thousand bucks please"
    The Spyder key uses the same Texas Instrument chip as used in many cars and trucks for many years. I have not heard of it being much of a problem of the chip failing. It is only active for a couple milliseconds during start up.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I'll save the discussion on the cost of out of warranty throttle bodies for the day after Christmas.
    Thanks! I'll still be pretty-well "egg-nogged up" so it shouldn't hurt too bad!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When we bought our bike from Cowtown in Cuba they sent us a spare key. I had it cut and have been to two dealers and both were unable to program it. I stood there with them at the last dealer and they went step by according to the manual,insert their master key and wipes it out. Insert one of the two keys (did not matter which one) and it would reprogram it, but the computer in the bike would not let them reprogram the second key.
    They tried it several times, they can program one key but not both. The dealer is going to contact BRP to see what to do next. I am one of those who needs a second key, my old timers sets in and I cant remember where I lay them down.
    Has anyone had this problem?
    enjoy the ride
    Allen & Patti