Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Record Gas Milage?

I think my current tank is headed towards some sort of personal record on my gas milage. On our ride today, we started with a full tank. I looked down and saw I had 60 miles on the tank and still had 7/9 gas bars remaning. It didn't drop down to 6/9 until well after 70 miles. When my light goes on at 1 bar, i can fit 5 gallons in. 9-1=8 bars = 5 gallons. 8/5=.625 gallons/bar*2 missing bars = 1.25 gallons used for 70 miles (56 mpg). Im sure each bar isn't .625 gallons in reality. I want to say the first couple are closer to .8 gallons. regardless how you look at it, this tank is doing really well. Im getting the impression the 76 gas station by my house doesnt have very good gas, since todays fill up was at a Rebel near my dealer.

magical member
    Spyder Garage

Estimated 56 mpg, that's better than my Prius.

Maybe you put a little more in than usual at the gas station for the ride. Topping off will cause the first bar to take longer to disappear.

I was just about to comment on my choice of gas and deleted it, that's a whole can of worms I don't want to open.

Harry

Spyder Garage

Default gas

wow that good I'm only getting about 31mi.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I think someone put some gas in your tank when you were not looking

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You better drain some out of that tank before it overflows all over the blacktop...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A couple of questions. Where did you ride to? How many showed up?

As for gas mileage i got 34 mpg on a tank on this trip pulling a fully loaded trailer. I have never before. How did I do it? My new Two Brothers exhaust and speeds averaging around 62 mph.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Arr,

Be careful of that last bar.....it can be deceiving.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default MPG

my SPYD3R is an '09 RS w/23,000 miles... i constantly monitor my 'mpg'... i check it after every ride and to date, my results have been: 1. with OEM tires & OEM muffler, 33 mpg average. 2. with KUMHO @ all 3 corners & performance muffler, 35 mpg... i've found that the 1st bar takes about 60 miles before it goes... but don't let that be a true indicator of what's happening in your tank... just enjoy the ride...
    see you all @ LAMONSTERS this coming weekend...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    Estimated 56 mpg, that's better than my Prius.

Maybe you put a little more in than usual at the gas station for the ride. Topping off will cause the first bar to take longer to disappear.

I was just about to comment on my choice of gas and deleted it, that's a whole can of worms I don't want to open.

Harry
    Nope. I don't top off. I use the exact same gassing procedures every time. Put the tip of the nozzle right at the opening, fill until I begin seeing splashback then stop.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    A couple of questions. Where did you ride to? How many showed up?

As for gas mileage i got 34 mpg on a tank on this trip pulling a fully loaded trailer. I have never before. How did I do it? My new Two Brothers exhaust and speeds averaging around 62 mph.
    Ended up going to willow beach since those that came wanted a short ride to stay out of the heat. Myself, Fred, and the turkeys came on the ride, and the Simpsons showed up at the meeting.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel gage "squares"

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    I think my current tank is headed towards some sort of personal record on my gas milage. On our ride today, we started with a full tank. I looked down and saw I had 60 miles on the tank and still had 7/9 gas bars remaning. It didn't drop down to 6/9 until well after 70 miles. When my light goes on at 1 bar, i can fit 5 gallons in. 9-1=8 bars = 5 gallons. 8/5=.625 gallons/bar*2 missing bars = 1.25 gallons used for 70 miles (56 mpg). Im sure each bar isn't .625 gallons in reality. I want to say the first couple are closer to .8 gallons. regardless how you look at it, this tank is doing really well. Im getting the impression the 76 gas station by my house doesnt have very good gas, since todays fill up was at a Rebel near my dealer.
    My RT digital fuel gauge's first square goes out at about 50 miles, the rest of em vary from 10 to 20. When there's only one square left, it'll take about 5+/- a little at 160 to 180 miles. No sense watchin it, just acts like most cars and bikes, almost useless. My Prius has been at 2 boxes left right now, for about 75 miles and 360 total on this fillup. Then they both will disappear around 400 and it'll take 9 or so out of the 11 something capacity of the tank. All the hills here keep it below 46 mpg normally. And, I can fill it up and it won't boil and belch and stink up the garage like my 3 wheel's gas tank. Life's a bi... sometimes, ain't it?
    Tuck

Spyder Garage

Let us know how many gallons/miles are involved at the next fill up. Looking at the bars--it always seems to take forever for the first two to get used up--from that point on--I seem to lose a bar every 25 miles or so. My overall average is still about 34 mpg on pretty much every tank.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Record Gas Milage?

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    my SPYD3R is an '09 RS w/23,000 miles... i constantly monitor my 'mpg'... i check it after every ride and to date, my results have been: 1. with OEM tires & OEM muffler, 33 mpg average. 2. with KUMHO @ all 3 corners & performance muffler, 35 mpg... i've found that the 1st bar takes about 60 miles before it goes... but don't let that be a true indicator of what's happening in your tank... just enjoy the ride...
    see you all @ LAMONSTERS this coming weekend...
    Boy you sure do get around!

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Default Started tracking

We have a 2011 RT with stock muffler and no performance enhancements. I just recently started tracking MPG and yesterday I averaged 32. Avergave speed around 57.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MILEAGE RECORD

56 MPG .... I got $10,000 says it's not happening with a normal customer owned Spyder......Not even downhill with a steady tailwind...and especially not with an RT.....You have set a record but not for gas mileage.....sorry .....Mike....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-02-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Maybe he has the first Spyder Hybrid. Part reality part whatever.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Im getting the impression the 76 gas station by my house doesnt have very good gas, since todays fill up was at a Rebel near my dealer.
    about the gas, as I do seem to get better MPG on one brand of gas compared to another brand. Won't give names as I don't want to open that can of worms.

When we went up to SITR, and we stopped for gas about every 120 miles I would always be on bar three, but one time I was on bar two at 100 miles. We rode the same speeds, and conditions. The difference I think was the gas (don't remember gas brands).
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've found that I get better gas mileage from my Cadillac Escalade using Mexico's no alcahol added gasoline rather than using the alcahol added gas I bought the last time (1 month ago) I was in the States. Though my gas milage in both areas is lousey, pulling my trailer loaded with my Spyder, it's about 2 mpg better using the Mexican regular octane gasoline, all other condition the same. That's about 20% more out of a gallon of gas. Do your math fellows. I drive a real gas guzzler.
    Last edited by Arthur---Mexico; 09-02-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas Mileage

A friend of mine bought a VW beetle and always braged about the gas mileage. He always parked it in his driveway at night. We would sneak up to his houe and add extra gas. Boy was he bragging now about the gas mileage which was close to 70 miles per gallon. After a while we listened to his stories and then we started siphoning about a gallon out. Now his gas mileage dropped down to 20 miles per gallon. He took it back to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong.Was he ever mad when we told him the truth. Then he started to laugh and said that was a good one but I owe you guys one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was down about 5 bars when I gassed up today at nearly 100 miles. Fit 3.2 gallons in. For almost right at 30 mpg. Not so groundbreaking I guess. still better than the 22 mpg I got on the previous tank.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But it sure was fun while it lasted!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default 22 mpg

I was down about 5 bars when I gassed up today at nearly 100 miles. Fit 3.2 gallons in. For almost right at 30 mpg. Not so groundbreaking I guess. still better than the 22 mpg I got on the previous tank.
    What happened to 56 MPG ..I can tell you, you are using the most inaccurate measuring device ever invented to try and give you an exact measurment namely your FUEL guage....that thing is a joke.....You fill tank to brim zero the odo,..drive till you fill tank to the brim zero odo...do this at least 10 times add all the miles and all the gals. and divide ....then you will have a reasonable estimate of your average MPG. but it's still only an estimate. My average is 38-39 mpg 08 GS based on about 3000 miles ...and I have the gas receipts to prove it....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-03-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Record Gas Milage?

I use Fuelly. It gives me an average of All my tanks of gas. I was just seeing what looked to be a really good tank of gas. And it ended up only being slightly better than average.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I for the most part use 87 octane with no ethanol. I put the
    Nozzle in half way when filling up. I've been getting between 170mpg to 190mpg per tank. I guess that is average from what I've seen on this forum

Spyder Garage

Default NEW MILEAGE WINNER

Quote Originally Posted by Slickrick View Post
    I for the most part use 87 octane with no ethanol. I put the
    Nozzle in half way when filling up. I've been getting between 170mpg to 190mpg per tank. I guess that is average from what I've seen on this forum
    I declare Slickrick the absolute uncontested mileage winner..No-one else need apply... ...Mike