Spyder Garage

Default Trailer lock cylinder

So here we are 100 miles from home and when I locked the trailer this evening the lock cylinder slid partially out along with the key. Apparently when the dealer installed the matching key cylinder something wasn't locked in place properly. Now the cylinder is sticking out slightly and the key will not go back in. Also the trailer is locked with the helmets and jackets inside. I guess we head home tomorrow without the helmets.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had that happen twice. Not fun when your stuff is locked inside.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I am getting tired of all the little gremlins that keep popping up. I have owned Goldwings for years and rarely have ever had to take a GW in for warranty work...

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Get out the drill, that's what Ann did.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Bike View Post
    So here we are 100 miles from home and when I locked the trailer this evening the lock cylinder slid partially out along with the key. Apparently when the dealer installed the matching key cylinder something wasn't locked in place properly. Now the cylinder is sticking out slightly and the key will not go back in. Also the trailer is locked with the helmets and jackets inside. I guess we head home tomorrow without the helmets.
    Have a locksmith drill out the center of the lock and keep the receipt of the bill. Demand that your dealer reimburse you for the poorly installed cylinder when you get home.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Have a locksmith drill out the center of the lock and keep the receipt of the bill. Demand that your dealer reimburse you for the poorly installed cylinder when you get home.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    It goes beyond that. The warranty should cover replacing all three lock cylinders so you can have only one key for all locks. I had this problem with my trunk lock. They ordered and replaced all three locks under warranty.

magical member
    Spyder Garage

Ok not sure how they did it, but I purchased a left over trailer and some how the barrel got put in incorrect with the lid closed. Here's my original thread.

They where able to pick the lock/latch and open the trailer lid then push the barrel all the way in. Does anyone here know how thay may have done this, they did mention a BRP bulletin.

Harry

Spyder Garage

Default lock

make the dealer pay ,and tell them to do it right,and to pay for your inconvenience.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am getting tired of all the little gremlins that keep popping up. I have owned Goldwings for years and rarely have ever had to take a GW in for warranty work...
    Lets see Goldwings in production for 35 years or so? RS Spyders 5 years, RT Spyders 3years.
    Goldwings manufactured in the hundred of thousands by one of the largest motorcycle manufacturers, Spyders by a small recreational vehicle manufacture. Goldwings based on standard motorcycle technology developed over 120 years, Spyders based on new cutting edge technology invented and developed over the last 12 years. When you buy new technology you have an implied role as a field tester! The first motorcycle in the early 1900's were way less reliable than our Spyders! Things will work out in say 20 years or so LOL. But being 63 I want my Spyder now! With all of its wart and all. Hell it's part of the adventure! If I knew it would be always work where would the excitement be!

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    Lets see Goldwings in production for 35 years or so? RS Spyders 5 years, RT Spyders 3years.
    Goldwings manufactured in the hundred of thousands by one of the largest motorcycle manufacturers, Spyders by a small recreational vehicle manufacture. Goldwings based on standard motorcycle technology developed over 120 years, Spyders based on new cutting edge technology invented and developed over the last 12 years. When you buy new technology you have an implied role as a field tester! The first motorcycle in the early 1900's were way less reliable than our Spyders! Things will work out in say 20 years or so LOL. But being 63 I want my Spyder now! With all of its wart and all. Hell it's part of the adventure! If I knew it would be always work where would the excitement be!
    The specific complaint is for a lock cylinder, hardly new technolgy.

I had my GL1800A left saddlebag latch in the shop for repair 11 times while under warranty. A bar, part of the linkage, would bend rather than move as it should & then wouldn't activate the latch. It also was recalled because of overheating problems

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Theres a child safety release located next to, and hanging down by the front door locking pin. If you remove the front clearance light on the left front side. The screws you remove will allow you to snake a wire in and with some luck you may be able to snag the release. It's a long shot for sure, but worth a try. If you don't want to drill the barrel.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 09-02-2012 at 08:18 AM.