Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Angry BR-1 has company :(

took my 2009 rs in for some service/ maintenance a tire replacement and a brake cable replacement on 8-21

they did the oil change then they pulled the rear tire and put the new one on and then they called me to the shop to show me a damaged rear hub i had noticed a vibration in the right foot peg on the trip up

so now they are ordering parts they said the part was in stock and should arrive by Thursday the 24th

i grabbed a couple items from the bike and caught a ride 140 miles home to wait and wait and wait

called Thursday ready to go get my rs and ride like the wind and no parts maybe Tuesday the 28th

called and nothing and then Tuesday nothing and now Thursday 8-30 again the owner said she called BRP and they say they have some parts shipped to her but cant give an idea on which part is shipped out and when to expect delivery

so BR-1 has a Cell mate hopefully the Warden will prole them both soon

whats up with BRP lack of parts support for these bikes

this is the longest i have gone with out riding my bike since i purchased it

this SUCKS
    Last edited by Tx web rider; 08-30-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: corrected my dates

Spyder Garage

Wow, that does suck! Sometimes manufacturers use up their stock building new items, therefore there are not enough parts "on the shelf" to cover demand.

It happens in the aircraft industry all the time.

BTW, I'm not defending BRP, it's just a business decision a company has to make.

Hope Y'all get you bikes back soon!!!

Spyder Garage

Wonder if its that parts are coming down from Canada and getting held up in customs?

If that's the case, you'd think they'd put a distribution point in the states somewhere.

I know I've had to wait weeks for parts I've ordered for my BMW; kinda why I've got a parts wall with all kinds of spares...I guess I might have to start one for the spyder too hearing how quite a few seem to be having this issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I feel your pain, Bro! Waiting on parts is worse than waiting for Christmas as an eight year-old!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I also have parts on order. A new cruise control switch, a light bulb for my driving lights (yeh! the dealer did not have that in stock either), and a comfort seat for akspyderlady's RT.

It has been a week now and I have heard nothing. The good part, we can both drive our 's while waiting for the above parts.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Oh my!!! Terrible news.

So it seems as if delivery occurs on either a Tuesday or Thursday for your dealer. Now you have to wait through the weekend for another Tuesday.

Im so sorry and hope your Spyder is repaired soon.

Spyder Garage

Default corrections

added some dates to the writeup

and just called Kelly and no UPS shipment today sigh

Spyder Garage

Seems like all the blame is put on BRP, but one must ask why are your local dealers not carrying parts. I know there is a cost involved, but there is some investment needed by the dealers also. My local dealer here in Central Florida had a huge stock of parts in stock. Obviously every parts can not be stocked, but the ones with a low MTBF rate should be on the shelve in my opinion.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

If I were a dealer a message from BRP that indicated parts were shipped and when would help me keep my customers better informed and cut down on my having to make excuses for something I have no control over. Just a list - what shipped, and when. A scanned copy of the packing list
    - ?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dizneyman View Post
    Seems like all the blame is put on BRP, but one must ask why are your local dealers not carrying parts. I know there is a cost involved, but there is some investment needed by the dealers also. My local dealer here in Central Florida had a huge stock of parts in stock. Obviously every parts can not be stocked, but the ones with a low MTBF rate should be on the shelve in my opinion.
    Should it be a BRP requirement?

How many of their dealers would have the cash reserve to comply?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post

Maybe if they can't stock basic items (like tires, brake pads, bulbs, etc.) they shouldn't be selling the machine.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Maybe if they can't stock basic items (like tires, brake pads, bulbs, etc.) they shouldn't be selling the machine.
    Who, is waitng on items such as these? No one I've seen.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

SOP.
    It has nothing to do with dealers stocking parts, It has all to do with BRP not having an inventory of parts in their warehouse, This is nothing new for BRP. 4 years ago when i told my Sons i was getting a Spyder, They said if you need a part think back order, and be prepared to lose a lot of riding time waiting for that part.
    The reason they said this is because both my sons had BRP Snowmobiles, [years befor] They even lost an entire season on one waiting for a part that was backordered on a recall.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    SOP.
    It has nothing to do with dealers stocking parts, It has all to do with BRP not having an inventory of parts in their warehouse, This is nothing new for BRP. 4 years ago when i told my Sons i was getting a Spyder, They said if you need a part think back order, and be prepared to lose a lot of riding time waiting for that part.
    The reason they said this is because both my sons had BRP Snowmobiles, [years befor] They even lost an entire season on one waiting for a part that was backordered on a recall.
    Exactly. If the stuff is on backorder from the manufacturer for repairs, it would take a dealer a long, long time to build a satisfactory inventory.

Without doubt BRP has a minimum standard for a dealer to be given the product to sell.

Anyone know what that is?

Facts please. Not hyperbole.

Spyder Garage

Its a numbers game, and the amount of stock needed is directly related to the number of bikes serviced/sold and the failure rate of certain items. This formula has to be used by both BRP and the dealers. What may help is if BRP would have forward stocking locations around the US, possibly 4 regions to start. There are plenty of logistic companies that do this kind of business. This would speed up the delivery times of parts movement, and would make sure there are enough allocated parts for service around the country. On top of that dealers should still carry the high failure rate items in stock. I just had to have a radio replaced due to the water intrusion campaign and my dealer had the new radio in 5 working days. Not bad in my opinion, so not sure why others are waiting so long for parts. Could it be the dealers are not ordering them for a few days?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dizneyman View Post
    Its a numbers game, and the amount of stock needed is directly related to the number of bikes serviced/sold and the failure rate of certain items. This formula has to be used by both BRP and the dealers. What may help is if BRP would have forward stocking locations around the US, possibly 4 regions to start. There are plenty of logistic companies that do this kind of business. This would speed up the delivery times of parts movement, and would make sure there are enough allocated parts for service around the country. On top of that dealers should still carry the high failure rate items in stock. I just had to have a radio replaced due to the water intrusion campaign and my dealer had the new radio in 5 working days. Not bad in my opinion, so not sure why others are waiting so long for parts. Could it be the dealers are not ordering them for a few days?
    To the best of my knowledge they have a setup like this for accessories. No idea whether thats the case for parts other. Doesn't seem to be the case or folks wouldn't be waiting for parts to come out of Canada.

I'm thinking your radio may have been drop shipped from its manufacturer. Not BRP.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 08-30-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Brp parts lag time

You would think a rear hub would ba a fairly common item I guess not
    thinking call cow town to see if the have one worth a try might get sooner

Spyder Garage

Default parts

it's the new system just in time ,and it, never is, in time you wait and wait.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by btcherm View Post
    it's the new system just in time ,and it, never is, in time you wait and wait.
    It's not too new anymore, but it is widespread. It hurts the small volume manufacturers more, since they carry proportionately less inventory, and have fewer distribution centers. JIT may save the manufacturers money, and put the burden of inventory taxes onto the parts supplier, but it hurts the consumer. If the parts are made offshore, it gets even worse, as the manufacturer has to wait, too, sometimes for an indefinite period of time, for manufacture, shipping, and clearing customs. If there is one thing I wish would revert to the old ways, it would sure be this one.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Actually, JIT is for the most part being replaced by "Lean" and "Sig Sigma" principles. I work for a small volume manufacturer of high tech equipment, about 180 units a year, but they range from 200k to 800k per system. Since implementing lean and managing inventory, our margins have increased dramatically and my hit rate for having the parts I need stocked in my international warehouse is running about 95%. The whole key is how you manage your vendors!! One would have to think BRP would understand all this and understand the failure rate of all components.

Would be nice to hear from all those that did not wait an excessive time for parts as compared the number who have complaints, which are very much valid.

As for the person who said my radio may have come from the manufacturer, that may very well be, but that is "lean" to BRP.

Spyder Garage

Who, is waitng on items such as these? No one I've seen.
    I have had to wait for a rear tire and for rear brake pads. Not in stock. So I guess now you've "seen" one.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

I have had to wait for a rear tire and for rear brake pads. Not in stock. So I guess now you've "seen" one.
    Guess I have

Only game in town or your choice to let them do the work?

Spyder Garage

Guess I have

Only game in town or your choice to let them do the work?
    Not exactly "in town", but about 30 miles away. Next closest is also about 30 miles away but they said it would be 2 weeks before they could even look at the Spyder.

By the way, my response was sharper than I intended. Sorry.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Not exactly "in town", but about 30 miles away. Next closest is also about 30 miles away but they said it would be 2 weeks before they could even look at the Spyder.

By the way, my response was sharper than I intended. Sorry.
    Dan, No problem. Ever! No one can come across anymore direct than me. Most of the time I don't intend to come off that way.....but know I do

Spyder Garage

100% Had my back tire off replacing my origional tire with a Kuhmo, went to only local dealer (90 miles away)(one way) to get a new set of brake pads and low and behold---their on back order---no body has any all the way to Canada she tells me And don't know when they will be in. So I go home and put my old pads back on and hope they will hold up till after Lamont's.