Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Locking glove box

I have a 2012 RT. I think the glove box used to lock when I turned the handlebars full left and turned the key to the locked position. Am I correct that it should lock, and if so any thoughts as to why mine doesn't?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Have you checked the latch to see if box is closing all the way and catching? Does it need lubricant? I have had alot of hassle with my glove box too, and now no longer use it for anything

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by muonwhiz View Post
    Have you checked the latch to see if box is closing all the way and catching? Does it need lubricant? I have had alot of hassle with my glove box too, and now no longer use it for anything

And make sure you are locking the handlebars properly (i.e. key should turn further to the left until a 9-3 o'clock position).
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Default COULD BE WRONG, BUT.....

I don't believe the glove box, itself, locks. I believe when you turn your handle bars and lock them, it covers the glove box so no one can get in it????

Spyder Garage

The glove box does lock with the handle bars locked. (at least on mine anyway)

Mine won't even let me lock the handle bars if the glove box door is ajar.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They lock???

I'm gonna have to go try this out...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzermom View Post
    I don't believe the glove box, itself, locks. I believe when you turn your handle bars and lock them, it covers the glove box so no one can get in it????

Turning the handlebars a hard left or right locks the glove box itself. Locking the handlebars just prevents a "knowlegable person" to move the handlebars back and open the glove box.
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    They lock???

Well...what's the verdict??

Spyder Garage

Default SEE, I KNEW IT!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Turning the handlebars a hard left or right locks the glove box itself. Locking the handlebars just prevents a "knowlegable person" to move the handlebars back and open the glove box.
    Good to now know, thanks!!!!

Spyder Garage

They lock???

Quote Originally Posted by mooneych View Post

Well...what's the verdict??

That he's taking too long!!!

Previously owned:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I'll be a son of a... seacook! They do, and it does!

HEY!!! Who started the BBQ without me??

Spyder Garage

Well I'll be a son of a... seacook! They do, and it does!
    Funny... things you learn everyday! I actually taught one of the techs that "trick" when I got my ... and where did I learn it: SPYDERLOVERS.COM

HEY!!! Who started the BBQ without me??
    You took too long!!

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Bob, we started without you!

Spyder Garage

Did you have any work done on it recently? I had to have mine replaced and they did not connect a cable or something and it did not lock. Took it back in and they fixed it. Maybe it somehow got knocked out??

Spyder Garage

I don't even have a RT and I think I know this one. The cable came off.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzermom View Post
    My 2010 does lock the box when the bars are locked. I really don't use the lock much though. I have stuff in the glove box but unless your a spyder owner you don't know its there.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mooneych View Post
    Bob, we started without you!
    Oh... I'll get caught up for sure!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

by the way, when you go to lock your handlebars - if you notice it WONT lock, then you need to check the glove box to be sure that it is closed all the way. The handlebars WONT lock if the glove box is not latched.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

Default Yes it does lock!

Have had my 2010 RT since March and yesterday for the first time, it locked and my car keys were lock in it so couldn't drive my car. My manual says nothing about the locking mechanism and neither did the dealer. I got on my Bike to take it back to the dealer to have them "unjam" the glove box. Backed out of the garage, put it in park and got off for a second, when I went to climb back on, I noticed that the compartment had popped open. I always park mine straight ahead in the garage so have no idea why it locked, but I learned a lesson. Hope it helps someone.

Spyder Garage

Something jammed against the glove box lid can make it seem like it is locked, because it won't press down and unlatch. Moving the Spyder probably settled the object into place, allowing the lid to open.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 06-15-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spoke to the dealer

The cable did come loose as suspected, but it is apparently a major pain to fix. I have had the side panels off and though I see that the cable has come loose from the glovebox itself, I can not find where it connects to the machine to lock it-The cable does not move when the handlebars are turned.

The dealer says he will address it when it goes in at 5K, which is soon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    The cable did come loose as suspected, but it is apparently a major pain to fix. I have had the side panels off and though I see that the cable has come loose from the glovebox itself, I can not find where it connects to the machine to lock it-The cable does not move when the handlebars are turned.

The dealer says he will address it when it goes in at 5K, which is soon.
    The cable will not move when the handlebars are turned...only when they are turned and locked.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder RT Limited - glove box NOT locking, but latches OK

I pulled the upper left panel off and watch the cable that controls the lock to the glove box. Cable is not working to lock glove box.....it goes from latch to the steering column. I am not going to "explore" the steering column area as I think this is where the cable is disconnected. The lock itself on the glovebox works fine when you manually move it to position. Another "fix" next time I'm at the dealer. Just an inconvenience, no big thing....however, you think you spend this much money on a new bike and you should NOT have to deal with little fixes like this.
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I also had trouble with my glove box on my 2012 RT-S. The first time I locked the steering, when I unlocked it, the lock actually broke. I took it to the dealer where I bought the bike and they said that the latch broke. Waited for the new latch and never heard from them. I had to call to see if it was in. It was but it is still not installed or fixed. I have a new dealer that I am dealing with now so hopefully soon it will be installed by them. The other dealer??? Long Story.
    Tim

Spyder Garage

Default Locking (really not locking) glove box issue on my NEW 2012 RT Limited...ugh

I have just over 2000 miles on my 2012 RT Limited that I purchased in March this year. The glove box locked initially, but now doesn't. I did check to make sure both direction to lock the front wheels were checked, but either way, it doesn't lock....next service is not for awhile and I don't want to take it in now for this! Therefore I pulled off the upper left panel and watch the cable to the locking mechanism by the glove box. Absolutely no movement by the cable when turning the wheels back and forth. I then check the locking mechanism with a screwdrive to press it in the direction the cable would, lock works perfectly. I stopped exploring as this cable "dives" into the nest of things by the steering column and did not want to keep taking things apart. I am a Mechanical Engineer and also a mechanic who has overhauled many engines. These spyders are tough to work on since you must keep removing items to really get at what you need to fix. I have installed several new items (High Center LED Brake light, Highway Pegs, bluetooth, etc.), but I am going to let the dealer dig into this one. Looks like they need to get to the steering column where the cable attaches to the steering mechanism......just my thoughts.

I hope it works for awhile after they fix it! Seems like this kind of thing should not happen to such an expensive machine!! LOL More of a hassle than a "real" issue, but should not happen on a new bike!

Good luck to you all.
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac