Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wind

It seems as if my RT is very wind sensitive. It feels as if I'm having to fight the steering, as I seem to blow all over the road.

Any tips for coping with or driving in very windy conditions?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Handling the wind

Lowering your windshield will stop some of the buffeting. Also don't grab the handlebars tightly. Loosen your grip and the bike will do fine. It will bounce around a bit but holding to tightly will make it worse. Another suggestion is Elka shocks for the front
    Slowing down is also an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Rar View Post
    It seems as if my RT is very wind sensitive. It feels as if I'm having to fight the steering, as I seem to blow all over the road.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Check your tire pressure and front shock setting, maybe the front needs a little stiffening up?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... Plus it never hurts to pull your knees in against the tank to help support yourself against the side gusts...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had to take my RT for its 600 mile check up today. Just when I'd get the hang of coping with the sustained winds, a bigger gust would come up. I kept my speed pretty constant at 55, but next time I will slow down and try lowering my windshield.

Spyder Garage

Default Wind

Loosen your grip on the Spyder, squeeze your knees, let your body take the wind, the bike doesn't, this way when the wind blows, your knees hold you, it gives you a second to correct your body, so what this means is you are going to sway, not the bike!

Works for me, we've had a windy summer in Ottawa this year

Dave

Spyder Garage

Pretend that each handgrip is a sparrow, relax your hands and shoulders and try not to hurt the bird.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Must be im extra tense in the wind and every time I feel a gust, I'm reflexedly (is that a word?) squeezing the handlebars all the harder.

I'll try releasing the death grip. It's somewhat of a relief to learn its me that's blowing and not the Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Change your front shocks to Elkas... I know what you are talking about but since I made the change I don't even notice the cross winds

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As everyone can probably tell, I'm a new ryder. If I had to choose one thing that made me the most apprehensive (scared), It would be the wind. I will ask my dealer about Elkas. Maybe that's what I will ask Santa for.

Would changing out the shocks void my warranty?

Spyder Garage

As everyone can probably tell, I'm a new ryder. If I had to choose one thing that made me the most apprehensive (scared), It would be the wind. I will ask my dealer about Elkas. Maybe that's what I will ask Santa for.

Would changing out the shocks void my warranty?
    Why splurge for Elkas? Just dial up the ones you have to 4 or 5 and see if it helps some. Being that you're new, chance are dealer set up probably only has you at 3. A little extra preload and your problems might go away. Then after some more miles if you're still not comfortable, think about the Elka upgrade.

2011 Spyder RT A&C SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Wind

Try 18 psi in the front tires. It made a huge difference on mine, along with upping the shock settings.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    Try 18 psi in the front tires. It made a huge difference on mine, along with upping the shock settings.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    That's exactly what I did and it works like a dream.
    Ivor

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I agree with what was said. Pump up the front tires to 17-20 psi, raise the front spring preload a notch or two, and relax your grip on the bars. All should help. Remember, though, that the Spyder does not have the gyroscopic directional stability of a motorcycle, and it does not have the weight to keep its momemtum like a car. Under some conditions it may dance around a bit. In those situations, pick the middle of the lane, and just worry about staying between the lines, not carving a straight path. The wind is just something to adjust to sometimes.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Love it!

Just enjoy the dance.

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I agree with what was said. Pump up the front tires to 17-20 psi, raise the front spring preload a notch or two, and relax your grip on the bars. All should help. Remember, though, that the Spyder does not have the gyroscopic directional stability of a motorcycle, and it does not have the weight to keep its momemtum like a car. Under some conditions it may dance around a bit. In those situations, pick the middle of the lane, and just worry about staying between the lines, not carving a straight path. The wind is just something to adjust to sometimes.

Spyder Garage

Default i dont get it

I have to ask. Are the ones hav ing a problem with wind newto riding? I own several bikes & a 2012 limited. I have factory shocks & settings. With the
    cruise on I take my hands off the bars for miles at a time only reaching up to make minor adjustments in my lane. This is at 75-85 MPH. Just relax. The spyder will handle the wind. I don't mean to sound harsh. I just really don't have this problem. Its not a car. You do feel the environment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wind

It was seem so J. My GS has a small windshield. I don't mind the wind at all, provided its not gusting over 35 mph plus.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When reading comments about handeling, heat or vibration it become apparent that prior riding experience plays a part.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had some of these http://www.techspec-usa.com/ on my FJR and decided to transfer them to my when I sold it. They help 'attach' you to your bike. I got the snake skin design.....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Exactly right

Quote Originally Posted by Dib52 View Post
    Why splurge for Elkas? Just dial up the ones you have to 4 or 5 and see if it helps some. Being that you're new, chance are dealer set up probably only has you at 3. A little extra preload and your problems might go away. Then after some more miles if you're still not comfortable, think about the Elka upgrade.
    Loosen up your grip, adjust the shocks to 5, use your knees and ride on. Elkas are the answer in the long run, but these three things will make it doable. Stay way behind trailer trucks! Had a huge piece of tire pop up the other day. Had I been closer, it could have been a hell of a mess.

Forgot the tire pressures. As stated above, try 18 psi in the front and don't forget the back at about 28 for a lot of folks. That works for me.

Enjoy

Tuck
    Last edited by TuckMiddle; 08-29-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A lot of folks seem to want to be quick on the trigger when it comes to thinking that Elkas will solve everything from a wobbly RT, to bad breath and ringworm...
    The fact is; getting the riding style sorted out will do as much or more; for an awful lot less money!
    But Elkas ARE a nice addition...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Cool Not sure if you've seen this thread, but its the BEST for New Spyder Ryders

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

As for the wind issue, once you learn to relax your grip, and stabilize yourself more with your knees against the seat than on the grips, you'll notice that YOU start swaying and NOT so much the
    Teddy and I call it "Dance'n In The Seat"

You'll do a little jig in the seat, and depending on how crowned the roads are that you are ryding, you may also notice the wants to go left or right of center and if you think about it, that totally makes sense. Many roads get the 'Crowning' effect from all the cars, trucks & semis having only 2 tracks, and the having 3 seperate tracks, with the middle tire being in the center and up on top of the 'Crown' it makes sense that its going to want to 'slide' off the top of the crown and back into the 'rut'. And that's ok as long as you keep a light grip on the handlebars and stabilize yourself with your knees, you'll find the will track pretty well straight, with you doing a little jig in your seat
    RELAX & ENJOY THE RYDE

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    A lot of folks seem to want to be quick on the trigger when it comes to thinking that Elkas will solve everything from a wobbly RT, to bad breath and ringworm...
    The fact is; getting the riding style sorted out will do as much or more; for an awful lot less money!
    But Elkas ARE a nice addition...
    They won't.....are you saying they won't??

Well that's just GREAT!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Many thanks for all of these helpful suggestions.

Hubby changed the shock setting to 5 and increased the front tire PSI to 17. I'll see if that helps with the wind. Wouldn't you know it isn't very windy today.

Will the increased shock setting make the steering less responsive in curves?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

@ Dave: right now, I can't picture dancing in the seat, but I sure do know what you're saying with the way the roads are crowned. I'll have to keep thinking on this.