Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Put what you will, or not, wear on your head, then go outside and let yourself fall face first into your driveway.

Choose wisely.

You may never, knock on wood, have an accident ... but what if today is your turn?

Spyder Garage

Wife and I have the Can Am ST1's. They come apart in the most wunderful way.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I both wear full face helmets...mine is a Shoei RF 1100 and hers is a Shoei RF 1000. I've been wearing full face helmets since 1976, when they first became available where I was living at the time. I had one, a Simpson, literally save my life in 1980. I simply don't like the thought of shaving with asphalt or concrete if something goes wrong.

I also have a Shoei 3/4 helmet that I wear for parades.

And, these days, I don't even look at a helmet unless it's both DOT AND Snell rated.

Oh...most of the other Spyder ryders we ride with wear 3/4 helmets. Some wear 1/2 helmets, some no helmet, but my wife and I are the only ones who seem to wear full face all the time.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We use Fulmer 3/4 with shield and sun shield, with the SMH10 headsets. Very pleased with them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Fuel Modulars; they work very well for those of us who wear glasses.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Helmets

I use a 3/4 and a full depending on how brave I feel that day. Ever watch the "Wild Wheels" or what ever the speed channel calls it? Virtually all "participants" fall directly on their faces, with or without a helmet. Bikes, bicycles, ATV, skate boards, whatever. It's amazing. One 30 minute show is enough to convince most folks that the more protective the helmet, the less chance of a broken face, neck, etc. And don't forget the armoured jackets and maybe pants.
    Tuck

Spyder Garage

Default helmets

I have three new W O W helmets 3/4 two bright blue one black and one full face with visor your choice 25 bucks ea. IL' be at most events thru biketoberfest 18th 19th 20th the other capt jim in deland.call 386 490 6771

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have always worn a full face helmet, started with it when on 2 wheels and just continued it, so I'm used to them by now. Fully 1/3 of all motorcycling head injuries are to the face and jaw. But to each his or her own, as long as wearing something! Just bought a new full face helmet and the ventilation in them is getting better all the time, I wore it even in the 100+ degree days in AZ.

Spyder Garage

if the weather is nice and i'm riding alone I dont wear a helmet

if I am riding with my brother, I wear either my 1/2 helmet or 3/4 depending on the weather (so we can talk via bluetooth)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Around town the shorite.
    Day ride when weather is good and 90% if rain. 3/4
    Winter ride, or long long ride I switch from 3/4 to full. And in extended rain the full is better be it winter or summer. that water stings.

What he said for me too!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool three

Hi all i have three diffrent ones a shorty (the cops dont like this one even though its rated )a normal open-face with a shield , and a flip-front full face (my least favorite its claustophobic ) here in OZ helmet wearing is mandatory and i wear whatever is comfortable in the current weather ,the full-face is like wearing an oven in 110 degrees but the shorty is like wearing a fridge in cold weather so each to his/her own .
    cheers mick

Spyder Garage

That's me.... That's what I wear. Go to a few MC accidents and you'll be wearing them too!

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Statistics state that over 35% of damage to head area in a motorcycle accident is to the jaw area. It may not be much of a face but it's the only one I have so always full face (modular so can flip up when stopped if warm). My friends that wear the shorties say that wind from passing traffic jerks their heads/necks around so figure I'm not missing anything.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by revjvegas View Post
    You may never, knock on wood, have an accident ... but what if today is your turn?
    When I got my first MC, 30 years ago, I was told there are 2 kinds of riders - the ones who have had an accident, and the kind that will eventually. I don't know if the same holds true for the Spyder, but no sense in taking chances...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

In some fifty years of riding, most with a full face helmet, I've had two serious unplanned dismounts. In both cases my helmets, one Arai and one Shoei, were severely damaged. The damage to the helmets could well have been damage to my head.

The Spyder is a little less risky and lately I've been using a 3/4 for local rides. The risks of road and traffic hazards are still there though. A face plant can spoil your day.

Spyder Garage

We have both types of helmets and always wear one. Back in June we had a freak accident. I vividly recall my helmet bouncing off of the pavement twice. I did end up with a very badly shattered right leg. Had I not had a helmet on the medical folks said it likely would have been a heck of a lot worse. Four months of recovery and physical therapy are enough for me.

Spyder Garage

I wear a modular full face and wife wears a 3/4. Both can fit in frunk together with Sena headsets. Quieter for the headset with full-face but I also wear it up on hot days. Always had full-face on my sport bike, less wind to dry my contacts out.
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Helmets???????

Could it be that riding a Spyder is to utterly thrilling that we subconsciously wear better head protection than most in order to preserve our being so that we may long and joyously continue the thrill??????.....smoky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Seems to me like the jaw has a target painted on it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have used full face helmets on motorcycles since they started making them. I crashed in '86 and flattened out the chin on my helmet as well as deep scratches all over it but broke my shoulder. I have crashed in military aircraft with a open face with no physical injuries but destroyed the helmet.

Today I have two Shoei. One X-12 for everyday use and a open face RJ Platinum open face for long trips where I need Bluetooth capability. I also wear a protective jacket and boots in all weather. When I teach safety classes and get questions about how much to spend on a helmet, I ask them how much their head is worth.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

Default helmets

In Aug. of this year I was stopped at a traffic light with my two wheeler when a car hit me head on. I am still taking physical therapy. If I did not have my 3/4 helmet on I would not be replying to this thread. I need another helmet, I think I might purchase a full face modular type. Thanks, Ride Safe & Long

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Do people fall on their right side more than there left?

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

I've got a Nolan N-42 that is coming up on 5 years old, wish they still made 'em, the 43 doesn't fit me. But a friend bought me a Shoei Neo-Tec that fits really well.
    Been riding 58 years, had a lot of helmets, destroyed a few, won't ride without one.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default helmets? DUH!?

Helmets, why anyone would question the use or the style?
    I am 56 years old, started riding motorized two wheelers at the age of 12. When I was young I went down so many times that if I told you some of my stories and the specifics of those events you might just wet yourself! Trail, dirt bike, and motocross taught me a lot. But I also learned more than my share of lessons. Having ATGATT, All The Gear All The Time, means when you go down, and at some time you will, are you going to get up or are you not?
    90% of riders, dirt or road, go down face first. Fact!
    Not wearing a helmet when going down means that you, regardless of speed, are 98% at risk of a fatal head injury. Fact! Just drop a six inch sugar mellen off a four foot latter and reflect about what you just saw.
    3/4 helmets AND shorty or half shell helmets do nothing to protect your face, chin, teeth, or nose. Remember that 90% of riders that go down go face first. Fact!
    The best protection for the face, neck and brain is provided by a full face helmet that is fitted correctly, period! Fact!
    Modular helmets offer most of the benefits of full face helmets. Yes this is true. But modular helmets are tested and rated at a lower standard as are full face helmets. Fact!
    Do you want to live if you go down?
    Do you want to look like a freak if you go down? And survive?
    Folks, this is a no brainer.
    Hell, I have survived for over forty four years, I must be on to something don't ya think?
    ATGATT it's just that simple.
    Moezie, LUV to all!