Spyder Garage

Default UNRESOLVED VIBRATION ISSUES ON 2012 RT LIMITED

Can someone provide me with the current contact information for the go to person at BRP for unresolved issues.

A brief explanation for my request;
    At about 1000 km my RT developed a vibration which was attributed to the drive belt and at the 1st service (1200km) adjustments were made to both the tension and alignment with no real effect. Since that time 2 other attempts were made primarily on belt alignment/tension and 1 more attempt at which time a BRP campaign (software upgrade) was performed which was suppose to move the shift points, belt harmonics, power band, etc., again with no real results. Bottom line is that I have an RT Limited on which only the 1 of 7k km were enjoyable to ride.

Thank you, your help will be greatly appreciated.
    Cape Spear, NF. Most
    easterly point in North
    America
    Provinces & States visited on
    Motorcycle
    2 and/or 3 wheel

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration

While I hope this was a rare occurrence one person has reported a misaligned engine. There is a alignment tool described and process to check alignment in the repair manual. Then their is a possibility the engine is making contact with the frame. Some, after having checked these still have vibration, while others have none. A sponsor here - SmoothSpyder - offers a slack side tensioner and while it may or may not eliminate all vibration, it has proven to be successful in general and personally if everything else checks out OK.....it's money well spent. It will make both you and your spyder happier.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 08-26-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Outporter View Post
    Can someone provide me with the current contact information for the go to person at BRP for unresolved issues.

At about 1000 km my RT developed a vibration which was attributed to the drive belt and at the 1st service (1200km) adjustments were made to both the tension and alignment with no real effect. Since that time 2 other attempts were made primarily on belt alignment/tension and 1 more attempt at which time a BRP campaign (software upgrade) was performed which was suppose to move the shift points, belt harmonics, power band, etc., again with no real results. Bottom line is that I have an RT Limited on which only the 1 of 7k km were enjoyable to ride.

I too feel your pain, for I too have a 2012 that we seem to be unable to get rid of all the vibration. I have spent over $1000.00 on this problem and have been able to reduce some of the vibration but not eliminate it. Yes, the Smooth Idler helped a lot and tightening the belt helped even more. You will also hear a lot about high RPM shifting on this site that will help, well in my case it makes no difference, the higher the RPM the more intense the vibration. My engine aliment has been checked as well. As far as somebody within BRP that will take this issue on and really help you......I have not found anyone within BRP that really cares. I have, through my dealer been told multiple time that BRP will be in contact, well, I'm still waiting, I have not heard word one

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by phj View Post
    I too feel your pain, for I too have a 2012 that we seem to be unable to get rid of all the vibration. I have spent over $1000.00 on this problem and have been able to reduce some of the vibration but not eliminate it. Yes, the Smooth Idler helped a lot and tightening the belt helped even more. You will also hear a lot about high RPM shifting on this site that will help, well in my case it makes no difference, the higher the RPM the more intense the vibration. My engine aliment has been checked as well. As far as somebody within BRP that will take this issue on and really help you......I have not found anyone within BRP that really cares. I have, through my dealer been told multiple time that BRP will be in contact, well, I'm still waiting, I have not heard word one
    Hope! If he manages to get a phone number for the B.B.O.T.B at Can Am. Sure hope he shares it.

B.B.O.T.B. - Biggest Buck On The Bayou

Spyder Garage

My RTS-SE5 has the same belt flapping issue since bought new July 13, 2012. I'm still in limbo in regards to the correct and proper fix for mine. You might try this BRP number 1-888-864-2002 and establish a case file number with BRP. Let us know if you ever get proper resolution on this issue.
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    My RTS-SE5 has the same belt flapping issue since bought new July 13, 2012. I'm still in limbo in regards to the correct and proper fix for mine. You might try this BRP number 1-888-864-2002 and establish a case file number with BRP. Let us know if you ever get proper resolution on this issue.
    Dropped by to see my dealer today, the bike goes back in tomorrow for a fifth attempt at resolving the issue. I also called the number above (also suggested by the dealer) and confirmed that there is a case file established.

Thanks
    John
    Cape Spear, NF. Most
    easterly point in North
    America
    Motorcycle
    2 and/or 3 wheel

Spyder Garage

Does your vibration continue if you pull the clutch in and keep the RPM's up while coasting?

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Does your vibration continue if you pull the clutch in and keep the RPM's up while coasting?
    It's an RT Limited (SE5). No way that I know of to put it in neutral at speed but it certainly continues while coasting/deceleration in gear at any speed/gear above 4800 RPM. It's brutal at 115-120km in 5th gear.
    Cape Spear, NF. Most
    easterly point in North
    America
    Motorcycle
    2 and/or 3 wheel

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have asked a few people that work with belt drive type stuff not spyders but a general thought was due to randomness of the issues has anyone replaced the belt to test? Wouldn't take much of a defect to cause this would it????

Just my 2 cents.
    Josh
    AKA "Camdenlake"
    Soon to be 2012 Red Goldwing

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default UNRESOLVED VIBRATION ISSUES ON 2012 RT LIMITED

If it still happens with the clutch in, it isn't engine related, as you are nolonger running at 4500 rpm with the clutch in. Could it be a wheel alignment or balancing issue?
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Camdenlake View Post
    I have asked a few people that work with belt drive type stuff not spyders but a general thought was due to randomness of the issues has anyone replaced the belt to test? Wouldn't take much of a defect to cause this would it????

Just my 2 cents.
    Makes sense to me. If you and I had vibration issue that were related to tiny amounts of debris on the rear sprocket, belt irregularities could do much the same, I think. If I had barked up every other tree, I'd consider trying this.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Did you check if the lug nuts on the front wheels are tightened?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Camdenlake View Post

Just my 2 cents.
    If BRP was to ask me to try a different belt I would be happy to oblige. I have considered that there may be a difference or a lack of standards in how the belts are built. However, after all the visits to the maintenance shop to adjust the belt, re-balance tires, check other potential problems, add after market items and all at my expense and still not one word from BRP. Well, it's time for them to step up to the plate and put forth some ideas and dollars.

I know this is not comparing apples to apples, but a few years ago when Arctic Cat came out with their new 185+ hp snowmobile there were a lot of riders that were blowing there belt. After some research by Arctic Cat they did find some defects in some of the belts. Cat stepped up and sent ever owner of the affected model a new and improved belt......and the problem mostly went away.

Spyder Garage

If BRP was to ask me to try a different belt I would be happy to oblige. I have considered that there may be a difference or a lack of standards in how the belts are built. However, after all the visits to the maintenance shop to adjust the belt, re-balance tires, check other potential problems, add after market items and all at my expense and still not one word from BRP. Well, it's time for them to step up to the plate and put forth some ideas and dollars.

I know this is not comparing apples to apples, but a few years ago when Arctic Cat came out with their new 185+ hp snowmobile there were a lot of riders that were blowing there belt. After some research by Arctic Cat they did find some defects in some of the belts. Cat stepped up and sent ever owner of the affected model a new and improved belt......and the problem mostly went away.
    Best of luck with that my friend.

Listening and hearing aren't the same.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's an RT Limited (SE5). No way that I know of to put it in neutral at speed but it certainly continues while coasting/deceleration in gear at any speed/gear above 4800 RPM. It's brutal at 115-120km in 5th gear.
    To eliminate an engine vibration issue try running the throttle up to the revs your getting a vibration at in "N".{{Sitting still not rolling}} You will feel it. Your dealer can put it on a jack and test it with the rear tire in the air and check the rear wheel and belt for vibration, but I believe there is something that needs to be disconnected so the nanny doesn't shut it down since the front weels are not turning.. Same issue when testing on a dyno. I have an 011 RT SM5, I just picked up an 012 RT SE5 for a friend and rode it home about 250mi. for him. It has a terrible vibration at 5000-5400 rpms. Since it had 2 miles on it when we took off, I didn't want to run it out and find the sweet spot. At around 200 miles I did get it to 75 for a short burst and it seemed to settle down. Sorry can't give rpms to busy watching cagers watching me. {Have to admit..I looks good on the white limited"}. But from all the 012 SE5 posts,, BRP You Have A Problem!!

! Let's talk it over

! OMG ,we didn't know

!Gotcha covered, get right on it

:: End Results "We'll improve next years model. Give a big discount on this years.

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. Seems the direction some manufactures take these days. Today's consumers are the "Research & Developers" & SL is a testimonial to that fact!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Vibration

Mine RT SE5 (2 months old 3000 miles) vibrates at 4000 rpm and 5000 rpm. After 4200 and 5200 the vibration disappears. Since there is no other apparent adverse effect, I have just been living with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    To eliminate an engine vibration issue try running the throttle up to the revs your getting a vibration at in "N".{{Sitting still not rolling}} You will feel it. Your dealer can put it on a jack and test it with the rear tire in the air and check the rear wheel and belt for vibration, but I believe there is something that needs to be disconnected so the nanny doesn't shut it down since the front weels are not turning.. Same issue when testing on a dyno. I have an 011 RT SM5, I just picked up an 012 RT SE5 for a friend and rode it home about 250mi. for him. It has a terrible vibration at 5000-5400 rpms. Since it had 2 miles on it when we took off, I didn't want to run it out and find the sweet spot. At around 200 miles I did get it to 75 for a short burst and it seemed to settle down. Sorry can't give rpms to busy watching cagers watching me. {Have to admit..I looks good on the white limited"}. But from all the 012 SE5 posts,, BRP You Have A Problem!!

! Let's talk it over

! OMG ,we didn't know

!Gotcha covered, get right on it

:: End Results "We'll improve next years model. Give a big discount on this years.

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. Seems the direction some manufactures take these days. Today's consumers are the "Research & Developers" & SL is a testimonial to that fact!