Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cheyenne to Alaska and return - Spyder critique

This will be the first of a series of critiques covering my trip to Alaska and return. Some of my views may not coincide with yours but they may lead to some constructive discussions. First and foremost at my age (74.5) and mechanical ability (minimal) was/is the Spyder reliable? The answer is that with a the exception of a few hiccups it turned out to be very reliable, that doesn't mean that I had the same confidence that the Wing rider had throughout the trip; It was based on my experience going to Durango and Cuba that I was still "waiting for the other shoe to drop" especially when the first hiccup occurred with my wife on board 360 miles from nowhere. Physcologically it took away from the enjoyment of the ridebut, I would still do it again. The Spyder as a touring bike, when I compare it against the Wing it falls short in two main areas; gas mileage (range) and instrumentation. No doubt a range of 130-150 miles does not stack up against 240 - 310 miles; its not that I don't mind stopping every 100 miles to stretch my legs its when the next gas station is 140 - 200 miles from where I am when I fill up, on some stretches in Alaska an advertised station was out of gas or closed (I did carry and extra 3 gals ), instrumentation: the speed number is easy to read, the rpm needle is ok as well as the speed needle the rest of the gauge panel to put it bluntly "sucks". As I said I'm at the age where I need glasses,both seeing and reading, when I can't read the time,temp, mileage, or settings when I'm moving without getting my face within inches of the screen I become an accident waiting to happen;stopping every time I want to check the mileage or change a cb channel or radio station just does'nt cut if for me, also in a bright sun shiney day or when it glares you can't see the little indicator light like parkbrake on, gas low etc. Take a look at the Wings dash and you can see everything. You might be saying "then why didn't you buy a wing?" and the answer would be I need the extra stability based on physical limitations, I'm sold on the ride just not on these two items. Extra addons: Seal Floorboards- best thing since sliced bread, can't say enough good things about them, Butler Cup- don't leave home without it, Spyder Pops stuff- all worked as advertised except the belt guard came loose and rubbed on the tire, no problem just tightened it and left it on because of all the dirt and gravel roads we had to travel on, Baker Air Wings worked great, especially kept the mud off my legs when on those muddy roads, Corbin Seat - took them four trys but the last one was right on and after the break in period (1000 miles) really made for a comfortable ride. Tires- with 12000 miles on bike rear tire is at wear bars, front tires don't even look like they've been used (must have great alignment on the front end). All in all it was a great adventure that I could not have made on two wheels but there is no doubt in my mind some improvements should be made if you really want to call the Spyder RT a touring bike.
    Last edited by dlennox; 08-23-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Based on what you have written, I could not agree more with you. I would not question any of your statements whatsoever. I now find my self having to do a "face plant" to read things on the gauges some times also.

I had a similar mechanical hiccup on our trip back from Homer, and I am right there with you. 300 miles away from the nearest repair shop and a very expensive tow job if it would have come to that. The fun of the ride is over, and you are just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Have never ridden a touring bike, but feel your comments are fair.

As for face-plants, HotGlue showed me his pair of bifocal sunglasses. They're made for fishermen so they can see to tie knots. You can find them in the fishing dept. of sports stores.

Didn't have any major mechanical problems. Just minor ones with an easy fix.

Front wheels got thrown out of wack from having too much fun on the ice heaves by Deception Bay, had new tires and an alignment done by akspyderman's dealer. I promise not to catch air on the heaves again.

It was lucky that Spydee's belt bit the dust only 100 miles from a dealership. It was due to de-lamination. The tow cost around $700. Lucky we weren't 300 miles out in the bush...

I agree that SpyderPop's Missing Belt Guard probably saved us all sorts of grief.

Looking forward to your next critique.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.