Thread: Locked seat?

Spyder Garage

Default Locked seat?

Went to go on a ride Sunday and was not able to get the seat open to put gas in. Almost tore the seat off to get in.Anybody have thsi problem before? 2011 RT SE5.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default locked seat

Quote Originally Posted by viperryder View Post
    Went to go on a ride Sunday and was not able to get the seat open to put gas in. Almost tore the seat off to get in.Anybody have thsi problem before? 2011 RT SE5.
    I never had that problem. I took off the lock from under the seat. Now all I have to do is raise the seat.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes

We had this problem a year or so ago we had to have a new key installed, We took the lock off and have no problems. We haven't had any problem with the seat lifting when riding, and you can always get gas when you stop. 2008 GS

Spyder Garage

I'm not good with these types of things. How do you take the lock off?

Phil

Spyder Garage

The first thing to do in that situation is push down hard on the right front corner of the seat (over the latch) while pushing down turning the key to unlock it. If that works, your latch needs lubrication, and possibly a little bit of adjustment. BTW, do you have an aftermarket seat or any seat cover that can fold under the seat, or anything like a fuse block or comm system installed under the seat that can push up on it?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Humble pie time.

A couple of weeks ago I got into a panic 'cos I couldn't raise the seat. Turned the key & pulled & pulled.

After a rest to calm myself I found I had been turning the key the wrong way...DUMBCOFF!!

Spyder Garage

I don't know how many times I have opened the frunk when I intended to unlock the seat..............
    2011 RTS SM5

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Something did happen to my locking pin at SiTR. The seat wouldn't close and latch, and when I got it to, wouldn't open. I was able to fix it The parking lot with my leatherman by loosening the pin under the seat and repositioning it. I recall I also needed to extend it a tad by Adjusting both nuts on it, requiring a second set of pliers.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    I don't know how many times I have opened the frunk when I intended to unlock the seat..............
    You might as well get something out of there while you're gassing up; you might need it later!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post

And just how many gallons of gas does the frunk hold???

Spyder Garage

Tough crowd............... You admit to an indescretion and everyone jumps on ya.........with friends like you all who needs enemy's?

Actually..............i'm kinda thinkin I may take the lock off of mine?
    2011 RTS SM5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Humble pie time.

A couple of weeks ago I got into a panic 'cos I couldn't raise the seat. Turned the key & pulled & pulled.

After a rest to calm myself I found I had been turning the key the wrong way...DUMBCOFF!!
    I am glad I'm not the only person who has done this

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog4ou View Post
    I'm not good with these types of things. How do you take the lock off?

Phil
    All you have to do is remove the latch pin from the bottom of the seat. Unscrews with an 8mm or 10mm..... unscrew all the way...

No reason to have it there since when you're riding you're holding the seat down in place.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default old post about the same thing

I don't know how to link it here, so I will just let you know go to search for "Can't Open Seat" posted by Erags

Spyder Garage

Default Reading your thread jinxed me!!!

Wellllll, in reading your thread today, I thought smugly to myself, poor person having a ridiculous problem! Can't EVEN get the seat up to put gas in. That's crazy! That would never happen to MY brand new 2012 Viper Red RT-S SE5 that I purchased May 8, 2012 and take meticulous care of and have already had one scheduled service on since owning. It's been in the shop twice for add-on's (chrome) and BACK to the shop twice (for repair because of the add-on's) with the most recent visit being this past Saturday. Had chrome handlebars and exhaust tip/heat shield installed on my baby then. Rode it over the weekend a few times since picking it up on Saturday afternoon and was ryding today, looked down at the gas gauge and realized I was almost out of gas. No problem! I was right there at Kroger so I pulled over to fill 'er up. Great! Love Kroger gas!! Dismounted, turned key to the right, pulled up on seat ... wouldn't budge. Oh, I though, I'm not doing it correctly. Again, I tried. Wouldn't budge! Wellllll, I though ... I'm really retarded; my neurons aren't firing on all cyclinders 2day ... I'm still not doing it right, so I turned key and pulled up AGAIN with more effort! By this time, I was ready for a crow bar when I saw 2 young guys headed my way looking very curious about my roadster. Typical! Can't go anywhere that people don't yell at me out car windows, at stop lights, stop me in parking lots, and now, the Kroger gas station while I'm struggling with a dang seat that won't do what it's suppose to do and has me convinced I've lost my mind! The guys strolled right up, grins plastered alllll over their faces, with tons of questions forming on the tip of their collective tongues that I was in no mood to answer, but I didn't want to be impolite and after all, I DO live in the South and didn't want to shame my momma. I stopped struggling with the seat and relaxed enough to pretend nothing was wrong and while answering all their questions, simultaneously and casually (I thought) continued to fiddle with the key/lock/seat all to no avail and without one single swear word. FINALLY, the young men ran out of questions and left me alone with my almost empty tank and no way to get more gas. I looked at my watch, realized the power sports place which had done all mods on my roadster was still open and not far. I road with my fingers crossed that I wouldn't run out of gas. To make a longer story shorter; the service tech had forgotten to reconnect the cable (after installing the mods), to release the latch when the key is turned right, to raise the dang seat to get gas!!!!! I was NOT shocked. I was NOT surprised. I wasn't even annoyed. I expected something like this to happen again. After all, the first time they installed mods (chrome foot peg support castings) for me, the brake lights wouldn't go off and I had to return my roadster for repair. Now, this second time around, the cable to unlock the seat wasn't working because it hadn't been reconnected. The service tech forgot. All I can say is, I will NEVER read another thread on here and think that it can't happen to me. It did. I'm sorry you're having a problem and I hope you get it fixed and "right" the first time! Good Luck!
    Last edited by Dikicep9; 08-21-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Now that's a story lol!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dikicep9 View Post
    Wellllll, in reading your thread today, I thought smugly to myself, poor person having a ridiculous problem! Can't EVEN get the seat up to put gas in. That's crazy! That would never happen to MY brand new 2012 Viper Red RT-S SE5 that I purchased May 8, 2012 and take meticulous care of and have already had one scheduled service on since owning. It's been in the shop twice for add-on's (chrome) and BACK to the shop twice (for repair because of the add-on's) with the most recent visit being this past Saturday. Had chrome handlebars and exhaust tip/heat shield installed on my baby then. Rode it over the weekend a few times since picking it up on Saturday afternoon and was ryding today, looked down at the gas gauge and realized I was almost out of gas. No problem! I was right there at Kroger so I pulled over to fill 'er up. Great! Love Kroger gas!! Dismounted, turned key to the left, pulled up on seat ... wouldn't budge. Oh, I though, I'm not doing it right. Again, I tried. Wouldn't budge! Wellllll, I though ... I'm really retarded; my neurons aren't firing on all cyclinders 2day ... I'm still not doing it right, so I turned key and pulled up AGAIN with more effort! By this time, I was ready for a crow bar when I saw 2 young guys headed my way looking very curious about my roadster. Typical! Can't go anywhere that people don't yell at me out car windows, at stop lights, stop me in parking lots, and now, the Kroger gas station while I'm struggling with a dang seat that won't do what it's suppose to do and has me convinced I've lost my mind! The guys strolled right up, grins plastered alllll over their faces, with tons of questions forming on the tip of their collective tongues that I was in no mood to answer, but I didn't want to be impolite and after all, I DO live in the South and didn't want to shame my momma. I stopped struggling with the seat and relaxed enough to pretend nothing was wrong and while answering all their questions, simultaneously and casually (I thought) continued to fiddle with the key/lock/seat all to no avail and without one single swear word. FINALLY, the young men ran out of questions and left me alone with my almost empty tank and no way to get more gas. I looked at my watch, realized the power sports place which had done all mods on my roadster was still open and not far. I road with my fingers crossed that I wouldn't run out of gas. To make a longer story shorter; the service tech had forgotten to reconnect the cable (after installing the mods), to release the latch when the key is turned left, to raise the dang seat to get gas!!!!! I was NOT shocked. I was NOT surprised. I wasn't even annoyed. I expected something like this to happen again. After all, the first time they installed mods (foot peg support castings) for me, the brake lights wouldn't go off and I had to return my roadster for repair. Now, this second time around, the cable to unlock the seat wasn't working because it hadn't been reconnected. The service tech forgot. All I can say is, I will NEVER read another thread on here and think that it can't happen to me. It did. I'm sorry you're having a problem and I hope you get it fixed and "right" the first time! Good Luck!

If you ever have them do any wheel and tire work I think I would take along a LUG Wrench and check the LUG nuts before I drove off the lot.

Spyder Garage

Default Locked seat?

Turned key to the left? If you in fact pushed down and turned key to the left (counterclockwise) you would be opening the front trunk (frunk).
    If on the other hand you pushed down and turned key to the right (clockwise) you would be opening the seat (if the cable was attached).
    KYSPYDER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kyspyder View Post
    Turned key to the left? If you in fact pushed down and turned key to the left (counterclockwise) you would be opening the front trunk (frunk).
    If on the other hand you pushed down and turned key to the right (clockwise) you would be opening the seat (if the cable was attached).
    KYSPYDER
    Oh, details, details!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kyspyder View Post
    KYSPYDER

Thanks for the correction! By my 3rd or 4th attempt turning the key to the RIGHT and the seat still not lifting, I was turning the key every which way trying to get the seat up, however, the cable to release the latch is NOT connected. The service tech at the power sports dealership that I eventually rode back to was turning the key to the RIGHT and, of course, it wouldn't work for him either. No cable connect. I have more mods planned, but now I'm afraid to have them done there.
    Last edited by Dikicep9; 08-21-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think you all need one of these.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Default Locked seat

My wife knew if I put the thread on Spyderlovers I would get the answer. To mu suprise, I got off at the machine and took the key in the house. Came out a little later and tried it agian. This time it worked. Maybe the machine had to reset the COMPUTER. Thanks once again.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

My wife knew if I put the thread on Spyderlovers I would get the answer. To mu suprise, I got off at the machine and took the key in the house. Came out a little later and tried it agian. This time it worked. Maybe the machine had to reset the COMPUTER. Thanks once again.
    I'm glad you got it opened. I do hope that you are kidding about the computer. The seat is purely a mechanical device...no electric or electronic components in this equation. For reliability, I'd be sure to lube the latch and post, and adjust the post if needed. The situation won't get better over time, and when you need gas, it is pretty handy to be able to open the seat.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!