Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question ??? For those who have added the Elka Shocks and Custom Seats

For those of you who have a custom seat and the Elka shocks. I am trying to prioritize and budget some upgrades for my RT Limited. I would like to replace the seat and go with the Elka shocks. Which would be your first priority to replace if you had to do one at a time?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by saint999 View Post
    For those of you who have a custom seat and the Elka shocks. I am trying to prioritize and budget some upgrades for my RT Limited. I would like to replace the seat and go with the Elka shocks. Which would be your first priority to replace if you had to do one at a time?
    Elkas, love the ride, and they make a big difference
    Me & My Babycakes

Spyder Garage

Default Seat & shocks

I've done both (Corbin seat and Elkas) and I think the order would depend on how you're ryding the most. I got the seat first, and followed up with the Elkas a couple weeks before Spyderfest last April. I was actually commuting 110 miles one way to a job for a couple months, and the heated seat was great on a few 25 degree mornings!! My commute was all interstate, and after I got the Elkas, I couldn't believe the difference in stability and handling...especially when getting buffeted behind a semi at 80 mph.
    So, IMHO, if you do a lot of twisties more than highway, get the shocks and invest in a butt pad (AlaskaLeather.com) until you can swing the seat....if comfort is more important, and 'performance' handling can wait...set your factory shocks up to 5 and order the seat! Even with the Corbin, we picked up the butt pads from Alaskan Leather, just to give some extra ventilation if nothing else...and we love 'em!

Good Luck!

Pete
    Our 'Tardis' 2011 RT SE5 A/C Orbital Blue & 622 Trailer
    HMT Brake Lt, KewlMetal Hwy Brkts, Corbin Seat w/heat & backrest, Custom Dynamics Fender Tips & Mudflap LEDs, Gorilla Alarm, Stebel Horn, Xenon Depot HID Kit, SpyderPOPS Radiator block & BumpSkid, RumblingPride TCM flag mts, Elkas, BRP Fogs, Garmin 665, Alaskan Leather ButtPads, Gremlin Bell, GripBuddies, his/her htd gear power jacks, KewlMetal Perf Air Intake, BajaRon plugs/wires & Anti-Sway Bar, Baker Belt Stabilizer, Baker Mug.

Spyder Garage

Depends on whether or not your butt hurts.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Get the seat

Quote Originally Posted by saint999 View Post

If your Huevos Hurt, Get the seat and adjust your factory shocks to #5...........they are set at #3 from the factory....setting is adjustable from 1 to 5

This will help a lot until you can order the elka's. In the meantime you can start breaking in your seat. Sorry elka, it's a no brainer when the Huevos are concerned.

If your Huevos are ok...Get the elka's your twisties were never so fun.

Ride Master
    Last edited by Ride Master; 08-15-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Corbin first...then Elkas

Corbin...butt didn't hurt but got dang tired of having to unload my dry bag to fuel up with stock seat when traveling long distances....several months later at Spyderfest got the Elkas. Absolutely love both...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Elkas defenitely change the ride, just had them installed a SITA last week. That would be my first mod and it improves the ride immensly!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Talking

Thanks all for your replies, just to provide some additional info as I think about what you replied. The Huevos/Butt can get sore but I am a little use to that from years of riding although it gets harder with age. Thank goodness no kids in my future.
    The instability of steering at 65+ is a little unsettling. At times can be a lot unsettling and the mind wants to slow it way down because of trust. We are windy here in NC so add speed, wind, 18 wheelers and twisty at 70 can be a lil scary. I had my shocks set to 4 the min I bought the bike cause of this forum and it made a difference on curvy roads but thinking it may not be enough for highway. With all that said, What would you do?
    Thanks for all your great help
    Joe

Spyder Garage

I just rode 200 miles down to Cowtown and then 200 miles back home with the elkas on. Hugh difference in the wind and thru the curves. I would get the elkas first.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

For comfort go with the seat, for performance go with the Elkas. Only you can prioritize what needs to be done first.

Spyder Garage

Default Elkas

Elkas, a no brainier safety and a great handling bike before comfort!

Spyder Garage

Default ??? For those who have added the Elka Shocks and Custom Seats

I got the Elkas at Spyderfest. Then the Ultimate seat. Both are great. But for me, I think the order was correct.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Elkas. Especially if you have unsettling feeling at 65+ mph as you described. See sponsor http://www.spyderelkadirect.com

Spyder Garage

I have the Kontour Seat and Elkas. I love both, but I'd go with the Elkas first. You can always make temporary adjustments with your seat situation through periodic stops to stretch the legs or purchase some beads, a cushion, or a sheepskin cover to make due for a while.

It is hard to "fix" the uneasy feeling you get when you take a corner hard and the spyder feels like it is wallowing through or you get passed by an 18 wheeler or hit with a gust of wind and the spyder feels like it is not going to hold the line even with the shocks at their highest setting.
    Last edited by bo9roadking; 08-16-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

What year is your ride? If it is 2011 or newer you will not see that dramatic of improvement from the Elkas (basic model). Now that I have had the Elkas for a while I have to say I am actually disapointed in them a bit. Hopefully a performance sway bar will come out by Baja Ron soon, that will make the real deference in corning I am looking for.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Depends on whether or not your butt hurts.
    Scotty,
    Talk about putting it succinctly!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    What year is your ride? If it is 2011 or newer you will not see that dramatic of improvement from the Elkas (basic model). Now that I have had the Elkas for a while I have to say I am actually disapointed in them a bit. Hopefully a performance sway bar will come out by Baja Ron soon, that will make the real deference in corning I am looking for.
    Id have to disagree. Went from stock shocks on my 11 to Elkas. World of difference. Maybe not as huge as it would have been from the crummy shocks on the '10, but still a big difference in handling.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hands down Elkas...After driving in the Adirondacks after having them installed there and then over 800 miles home....absolutely no question...It was a pleasure flying past the semi's without the buffering.

Spyder Garage

I have Works shocks, saved enough over the Elkas to buy the driver backrest for my Corbin seat.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Elka's/Corbin

I have the 2011 limited. I went with the Elka's first after much reading and talking. Since I am in the flat lands, it made a huge difference in the handling and on the interstates. I was beginning to think I had made a big mistake buying the spyder until I put the Elka's on. In the mean time, I borrowed an Airhawk from a friend. Then a few months later and a couple conversations with Lamont, I bought the Corbin with colored stitching and the Lamonster Cut. Now, I ride on comfort and not scared of that interstate. Life is good! Oh, and I still use an Airhawk on long trips. Keeps me dry..
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

+1 for the Lamonster cut - a $35 beadrider works wonders to keep cool & dry.

You need to find other Spyders with various seats - few will like the same seat. Personally, I've had Russell, Mustang, Corbin, and most of the others - as well as a ton to stock seats (incl a group from the HD wish book, and I always end up with a Corbin. It just works for me.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Have Corbin and Elkas. Had seat first then shocks but if I had to I'd go for the Elkas first. As you mention being uncomfortable with the wind and speed it would seem the shocks would ba a first choice.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Got seat and elkas at the same time but i would say elkas would be #1 seat a close 2nd.

Josh
    Josh
    AKA "Camdenlake"
    Soon to be 2012 Red Goldwing

Spyder Garage

I love my Elka's but I hated the stock seat so for me it would be the seat. I realize how much I hated it everytime I ride a RT with the stock seat. Both are worth the investment.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I have Works shocks, saved enough over the Elkas to buy the driver backrest for my Corbin seat.
    Hmmm may have to look into those. Any specifics around what you bought from them?