Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Renting a Spyder

Hello all, newbie here!

I have been a long time fan of the Spyder but have not had a chance to rent one, much less buy one yet. However, we are considering a vacation to South Lake Tahoe next July and there is a place near Sacramento that rents them! Sounds like a good opportunity to have some extra fun.

I have not been on a Motorcycle in 15 years or so, but do ride my ATV quite a bit. From what i've read, i may actually be in a better position than some who have just changed from a bike anyway.

Tahoe is about 2hrs from Sacramento so my plan is to rent one in Sacramento and the wife and i will take the trip.

Anything i should be concerned about having never ridden a Spyder before? I don't have my motorcycle endorsement so i don't have any real (read legal) street experience on the road with a bike, but i'm not particularly concerned on this point.

Since we are vacationing, we will have some luggage for a 4 day trip. Can the Spyder even carry it in the RT configuration?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I did this same thing. We vacation in Panama City Beach , Fl. and there is a place there that rents spyders. they had 2 to renat and we took both of them my wife and I for 24 hours and they gave us a realgood deal. Once I got to ride for that long and get a little used to it I was hooked bought my RS aobut a month later and haven't looked back. I hope that works out for you.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

Glad you are considering a Spyder! There are lots of good folk here that are ready to answer questions, so look around!!!

Spyder Garage

The trip from Sac to Taho is actually about just a little over 1 hr however on hwy 50 a little past Placerville it turns into two lanes and starts the twisty road up hill. Now thats not to bad but thats when everyone competes for line position going up hill as there is very few places to pass thats where the problem lies the cagers are all in a hurry to get over the mountain and push traffic if you are not used to the Spyder which could take 500 or so miles to get comfortable and with all the twisties might make you a little nervous. I lived in Taho for quite some time and the tourist we call them flatlanders drive the mountain roads like their on the flat interstate. So If you do decide to do the ride I suggest you plan to pull over and enjoy the view and let the cagers go on there way so your ride will be more enjoyable. Dont get me wrong I am not trying to discourage you in any way as the ride is beautiful just a word of caution. Also the RT does have quite a bit of storage but some people do tend to OVER pack for short trips ( my wife for one) My suggestion is you should go to your nearest dealer and check the storage on the RT so you can pack accordingly. If I can be of any assistance with information about Taho please PM me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your ATVing experience will help a lot! The RT should also have no trouble hauling what you need to carry with you; just pack in soft luggage that can be squished to fit!
    Now go have some fun!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default .No M/C endorsement

Quote Originally Posted by Remotruker View Post
    Hello all, newbie here!

I have been a long time fan of the Spyder but have not had a chance to rent one, much less buy one yet. However, we are considering a vacation to South Lake Tahoe next July and there is a place near Sacramento that rents them! Sounds like a good opportunity to have some extra fun.

I have not been on a Motorcycle in 15 years or so, but do ride my ATV quite a bit. From what i've read, i may actually be in a better position than some who have just changed from a bike anyway.

Tahoe is about 2hrs from Sacramento so my plan is to rent one in Sacramento and the wife and i will take the trip.

Anything i should be concerned about having never ridden a Spyder before? I don't have my motorcycle endorsement so i don't have any real (read legal) street experience on the road with a bike, but i'm not particularly concerned on this point.

Since we are vacationing, we will have some luggage for a 4 day trip. Can the Spyder even carry it in the RT configuration?

Might want to check and see if a M/C endorsement is required to rent a spyder in Sacramento before you get there.

Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Have a safe and great trip. Great advice above and I cannot add anything to what they have alread said.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Renting

In California we do not need a motorcycle endorsement to ride a Spyder. It is considered a three wheel vehicle so you are fine. From Sacramento figure on about 1 1/2 to 2 hours ride without stops when heading to South Tahoe. It is flat and easy riding on 50 all the way to Pollock Pines when it goes down to 1 lane. Once you get to the top of the pass you will see the Tahoe basin which isa great view.

Hope your rental and ride turns out to be a good one. We ride to Tahoe just to get out of the heat and to get a cup of coffee.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Any advice on places to stay? We are hoping to see the fireworks from our room or at least a good place to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by gln2 View Post
    The trip from Sac to Taho is actually about just a little over 1 hr however on hwy 50 a little past Placerville it turns into two lanes and starts the twisty road up hill. Now thats not to bad but thats when everyone competes for line position going up hill as there is very few places to pass thats where the problem lies the cagers are all in a hurry to get over the mountain and push traffic if you are not used to the Spyder which could take 500 or so miles to get comfortable and with all the twisties might make you a little nervous. I lived in Taho for quite some time and the tourist we call them flatlanders drive the mountain roads like their on the flat interstate. So If you do decide to do the ride I suggest you plan to pull over and enjoy the view and let the cagers go on there way so your ride will be more enjoyable. Dont get me wrong I am not trying to discourage you in any way as the ride is beautiful just a word of caution. Also the RT does have quite a bit of storage but some people do tend to OVER pack for short trips ( my wife for one) My suggestion is you should go to your nearest dealer and check the storage on the RT so you can pack accordingly. If I can be of any assistance with information about Taho please PM me.
    Last edited by Remotruker; 08-15-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

There are a ton of places to rent for the weekend or weekly, monthly depending on the time you are going the prices are reasonable sometimes lower than a hotel room. You can get places for two or even up to 8 or 10 also with a garage to park your Spyder. Go to Google and type in rentals in Lake Taho. Alot of people own vacations homes there and rent them out as they only use them a few weeks out of the year. Its even cheeper if you are with a group. The cabins (houses) come fully equipted with everything you need from dishes to electronics. Here is one example
    https://www.airbnb.com/search?c=srch...FUk0QgodfEgATw
    Last edited by gln2; 08-15-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

The usual new rider advice applies:

Take it easy, remember it's pretty quick both starting and stopping and your passenger might not be ready for sudden motion.

Ride relaxed. If you feel tense, take a break. Don't crush the grips, treat them like eggs, your hands and wrists will thank you.

You can't drink too much when you're riding and you rarely feel thirsty when you're riding. Drink lots, preferably water.

You've probably heard to lean when cornering. This doesn't mean you need to scoot off your seat like a pro-racer. It also doesn't mean lean directly side to side. When you first start you'll feel most comfortable leaning forward and to the inside of the turn. Some people say act like you're trying to put your chin on the back of your hand. With time you'll get a feel for what works best for you.

Don't push yourself. Take breaks, enjoy the sights, it'll make for a more enjoyable experience overall.

You should grab fuel around 100miles to make sure you have plenty of reserve.

Take all the things you want to take with you and stuff them in a 20 Gallon garbage bag. That's about how much room you'll have. This will also give you a little extra space for things in the back that you forgot to include, or things you might buy along the way.

Search Youtube for the spyder owners videos and watch them together, just to make sure you're familiar with how everything works so there's no surprises.

Have fun!

Last edited by Sny; 08-15-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added links
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Sny;500263]The usual new rider advice applies:

Take it easy, remember it's pretty quick both starting and stopping and your passenger might not be ready for sudden motion.

Ride relaxed. If you feel tense, take a break. Don't crush the grips, treat them like eggs, your hands and wrists will thank you.

You can't drink too much when you're riding and you rarely feel thirsty when you're riding. Drink lots, preferably water.

You've probably heard to lean when cornering. This doesn't mean you need to scoot off your seat like a pro-racer. It also doesn't mean lean directly side to side. When you first start you'll feel most comfortable leaning forward and to the inside of the turn. Some people say act like you're trying to put your chin on the back of your hand. With time you'll get a feel for what works best for you.

Don't push yourself. Take breaks, enjoy the sights, it'll make for a more enjoyable experience overall.

You should grab fuel around 100miles to make sure you have plenty of reserve.

Take all the things you want to take with you and stuff them in a 20 Gallon garbage bag. That's about how much room you'll have. This will also give you a little extra space for things in the back that you forgot to include, or things you might buy along the way.

Search Youtube for the spyder owners videos and watch them together, just to make sure you're familiar with how everything works so there's no surprises.

Have fun!

What GREAT advice. Just what he said!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default FWIW - My Experience Scheduling a "Test Ride"

I drove all the way to the Elk Grove, CA dealership to do a test ride back in April 2012. I had already been there once before with my hubby and we looked at several used Spyders they had there, but neither one I was interested in was "ready" for sale because of out of state registration issues. No problem, we decided after a lot of searching and angst trying to find a Spyder that fit what I wanted, that it would be best to purchase a new Spyder since I would be putting on a lot of miles via commuting. So, I called up the dealership in Elk Grove, CA and setup an appointment to do a test ride. Made sense since we were looking at making a major purchase (or at least it is a major purchase in my world) to TRY something before you fork over that kind of moolah. So, 5 minutes before the turnoff I get a call from the salesman, and they cancelled my test ride. I drove an hour and a half, only to hear that they were cancelling on me. I was very upset, to say the least, that they waited until I was almost to the dealership to tell me this. The salesman told me that his boss did not want me to use one of their rentals for a test ride (even though we had already agreed that it would cost $150 for an hour to rent one???) because he was afraid that we might buy one from another dealership...huh, what?! I am not making this stuff up!

Really? I might buy one from another dealership? After driving 2 round trips out to your dealership? That makes a lot of sense

Needless to say...

I bought one from another dealership FOR SURE after that. I had no problem taking out a Spyder rental at the dealership I bought my Spyder from. I LOVE my Spyder and the dealership I take her to.

I just don't want you to drive from Tahoe and have anything similar happen to you. It sucks with the gas prices being as high as they are right now to have someone cancel on you last minute.

Good luck - you will love it after you try it!

Hello all, newbie here!

Spyder Garage

Default Renting a Spyder in California

Hello all, newbie here!

I saw this old post while I was searching for something, and I didn't see any suggestions given on where to rent a Spyder in this area.
    My business, Ryde On Motorsports, has been renting the Can Am Spyder for several years now in the Sacramento area. There used to be 3 other companies that rented in the NorCal area, but as far as I know they have all gone out of business.

If anyone is looking for a Spyder rental, give me a call. I've even delivered to as far away as Las Vegas.
    I'll give all SpyderLovers a 10% discount.
    Spyder Rentals
    www.rydeonmotorsports.com

Life is a Ryde-Enjoy the Journey

Currently Own: 2014 RT, 2016 F3-T
    Used to own: 2012 RT & 2009 RS

Spyder Garage

Hello all, newbie here!

i was in your same position as I never owned a 2 wheeler but had a quad that I rode often. I never even test rode the spyder bf I bought it, the day it was delivered I hopped on and felt right at home. The rides are very similar and I do not think you will feel uneasy.

2015 F3 SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Zombie thread

Pretty old thread, you might have better luck starting new thread and consider becoming an advertiser on this site, you could possibly get some business from vacationers looking for a spyder fix

Spyder Garage

im surprised anyone rents spyders here in the land of over priced insurance and law suites but glad they do. Up by lake tahoe sure is a great place to ride a spyder though that is for sure.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Default Renting a Spyder

Enjoy & report back. I saw no mc endorsement required for CA. So might be best to keep the riding restricted to that state.
    Just a redneck thought. Best of luck to ya. Be sure to share some pics with us

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS
    Last edited by Bfromla; 04-05-2016 at 01:13 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights