Thread: Cramps in legs

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Cramps in legs

It seems that lately I have been having cramps in both of my hips while riding my spyder. This just started and I would like to know if anyone has ever experienced this problem. I am 75 years old and I have the spyder for three years now. I had my left knee replaced twice and am due for the right knee soon. I don't want to go to a Doctor because they send you for unneccesary tests and then tell you there is nothing wrong.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My legs have always cramped up; starting with the hips, and then getting more interesting as the ride progresses!
    My floorboards now allow for moving around a bit to lessen them. Standing tall in the saddle to stretch also helps; as do frequent stops to shake some blood back down into my feet.

But I also figure that as long as something hurts; it must still be working at least a little bit!
    A Corbin seat with the "Lamonster" cut might be worth a bit of investigation...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I used to get this quite often, along with cramps in my thighs and calves. I have a great doctor, who put me on a Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc supplement. That helped tremendously, as did paying better attention to staying hydrated, and regular stretching exercises. Cramps can also result from muscle weakness, and strengthening exercises, especially a balanced approac like the physical therapists do, can be helpful in those cases. I don't recommend that you take supplements without a doctor's instructions, but it worked for me.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes it can be a simple case of getting some more potassium in your system... try a couple of bananas and call me in the morning!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I also have the cramping in my lower legs but I discovered what it was last year and it prevented me from going to Spyderfest...Poor circulation, clogged arteries which resulted in me having heart surgery, putting me down for the entire riding season. I now have a artifical artery, attached to my aorta down thru my belly and wishboning to both my legs..Thank God I was smart enough to go to a vascular surgeon to have my cramping checked out...Hoping this is not the case for you but if everything else is ruled out, have your circulation checked out.

Spyder Garage

I had cramping trouble also,one thing that helps me is taking my wallet out of back packet and putting in cargo pockets ,not sitting on that lump made a big difference !
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well my wallet is thin enough that it's not an issue...
    I always knew that having money would be a bad thing!

Spyder Garage

All good advice above. Position change is what I have experimented a lot. I have floorboards, Corbin seat, sheepskin seatpad, and Airhawk cushion. The floorboards allow you to change position, the seat is big enough that I can move around a bit, and the cusions provide some additional height, which makes a difference for me sometimes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default It works

OK before you all and fall off of your spyder. Leg/body cramps..best, quick solution....couple ounces of DILL PICKLE JUICE...ok you are allowed to ...but just remember when in the throes of contortions and pain!!!!! IT WORKS....oh yea and the Seal floorboards have practically eliminated the issue for me...but if on long rydes I still will get "a hitch" and need to reposition my leg on those awesome floorboards and it is ryde on time!!!!
    Everyone have a great day ryding...I head out to Yellowstone country on Thursday....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Sometimes it can be a simple case of getting some more potassium in your system... try a couple of bananas and call me in the morning!
    Another good thing about bananas... This was taught by a fighter pilot prior to my ride - "They taste the same coming back up as they did going down"...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=murphybrown;499735] Leg/body cramps..best, quick solution....couple ounces of DILL PICKLE JUICE...ok you are allowed to ...but just remember when in the throes of contortions and pain!!!!! QUOTE]
    I haven't tried vinegar; but it's worth a shot!
    Thanks!

Dave,
    I'd never let a good banana go to waste. Once they're down, the gates get locked!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I think it's the seat and foot peg combination, plus goofed up body chemistry as has been posted here. I got a Corbin saddle and that improved things a lot. Not saying you should do that. Might not have anything to do with your situation but I had to have a stiffer and better shaped seat. I can ride on that thing all day long. Some people prefer the Ultimate seat which is also very nice. I have long legs and I think having either floor boards or highway pegs that let me stretch my legs out some would be nice too and I am looking at those.

2012 Spyder RT-S SE5

Corbin seat, Inspector Gadget cup holder, Original Grip Buddies
    2005 Honda VTX-1800R
    2002 Honda 750 Shadow ACE

Spyder Garage

I have been looking for a higher thinner seat because I feel the seating on the Spyder causes me to be a little to far forward and my legs to be pushed apart wider than is comfortable. the Seal Floorboards has helped but I still would like to find a way to sit a little higher and farther back. The design of the Spyder means that if I put my feet forward then it spreads my legs even more so that is not really the solution, but I also think it should be something that my body should be able to get used to if I'm not too old or too inflexible. Please keep the ideas coming as the solution may be very different for every one.

PS I'm 65.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

all great solutions. You might want to visit your doctor first, let him rule out those things which if not fixed or ignored might get you in a heap of trouble first; then try the other things which have been mentioned in whatever order of significance that you deem is proper. You didn't get to be 75 by ignoring things in the first place now did you???

I'm 62 by the way.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default leg cramps

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    all great solutions. You might want to visit your doctor first, let him rule out those things which if not fixed or ignored might get you in a heap of trouble first; then try the other things which have been mentioned in whatever order of significance that you deem is proper. You didn't get to be 75 by ignoring things in the first place now did you???

I'm 62 by the way.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now I don't know where to start. I have made my own floor boards and they work okay as far as stretching out the legs but if I ride thru twist turns I don't put my feet on ther floor boards. When I get a chance to stretch them out, that is when the cramps get worst because of the repositioning of the legs.
    Thanks again

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    OK before you all and fall off of your spyder. Leg/body cramps..best, quick solution....couple ounces of DILL PICKLE JUICE...ok you are allowed to ...but just remember when in the throes of contortions and pain!!!!! IT WORKS....oh yea and the Seal floorboards have practically eliminated the issue for me...but if on long rydes I still will get "a hitch" and need to reposition my leg on those awesome floorboards and it is ryde on time!!!!
    Everyone have a great day ryding...I head out to Yellowstone country on Thursday....
    MB HAVE A GREAT TRIP. LmAO cause I use pickle juice for exactly that and on extremely hot days .

Carolyn and mike
    Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default leg cramps

Quote Originally Posted by arris View Post
    It seems that lately I have been having cramps in both of my hips while riding my spyder. This just started and I would like to know if anyone has ever experienced this problem. I am 75 years old and I have the spyder for three years now. I had my left knee replaced twice and am due for the right knee soon. I don't want to go to a Doctor because they send you for unneccesary tests and then tell you there is nothing wrong.
    had same problem, went to a docter for ingrown toenail,mentioned leg cramps, he measured my
    legs and found r/leg shorter then left. installed thin heel pad in shoe...............NO MORE
    CRAMPS

Spyder Garage

I highly recommend taking evening primrose oil. There marketed toward women but can be highly beneficial for men, they promote blood flow which help with this type of pain.

Here's some info for men.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

For the past 3 years I got cramping on my legs and hips whilst riding my Goldwing.My left leg especially gave me a lot of discomfort after half an hour.I had highway pegs and that didnt help much.Also I was having a lot of knee problems causing me to limp a lotThe strangest thing is since I bought the Rt 6 weeks ago I am not getting problems of any sort at all.I have been riding a lot with absolutely no problems whatsoever.No knee pain at all.I did install Seal Floorboards which enables one to move ones legs about.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Pickle Shot

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Dill pickle juice and a shot of tequilla.......called a pickle shot! Works every time.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually it doesn't... But if you have enough of them; you just won't care!!

Spyder Garage

Will sweet pickle juice do the same thing? Just askin' cause I don't like dill pickles.

arntufun

This stuff is made for cramps, it says it right on the box.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Randy!
    I'll see if I can get the Missus to pick me up a box... and some Depends, and Ensure also!

(Now where'd I leave my damn glasses? Hey, You kids! Get off my lawn!)