Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rent A Trailer To Haul an RT

Does anyone know where I might rent a trailer in South Florida to haul my Spyder RT?

Spyder Garage

Try a trailer rental place?

Spyder Garage

Generally places like U-Haul rent trailers. You can also try places that rent light construction equipment. Make sure that not only the deck of the trailer itself, but also the ramp and width of the entryway to the trailer are wide enough for your RT. Off hand I think you need a minimum of 63", IF I remember correctly.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Default Rent a Trailer

Howdy. You can rent a U-Haul trailer. However, be careful. They "list/advertise" only two 6x12 type trailers -- one with a narrow ramp and one with a wide gate. In reality, they have three 6x12 trailers. Don't leave the lot with a narrow GATE.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Force PAO View Post
    Howdy. You can rent a U-Haul trailer. However, be careful. They "list/advertise" only two 6x12 type trailers -- one with a narrow ramp and one with a wide gate. In reality, they have three 6x12 trailers. Don't leave the lot with a narrow GATE.
    I called U Haul first and they didn't think the trailer was wide enough. I will measure my Spyder and call them again. I was not aware of the issue with ramp versus gate. Thanks for the heads up.

Spyder Garage

Default Rent A Trailer To Haul an RT

Be careful that the ramp is not too steep. The RT doesn't have a lot of clearance. You may have to lay 1 or 2 2"x6" boards under the tailgate to raise it to make it less steep. I trailer mine some & I used to have this problem.

Spyder Garage

The only trailer I found at Uhaul that would take my Spyder was a double axle with a full width gate, and no ramp. 30 bucks a day, local only. I ended up buying a trailer.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dick574 View Post
    Be careful that the ramp is not too steep. The RT doesn't have a lot of clearance. You may have to lay 1 or 2 2"x6" boards under the tailgate to raise it to make it less steep. I trailer mine some & I used to have this problem.
    My dealer was loading my bike on the trailor and forgot that very important point.... Good thing the front plastic is flexible...

2012 Spyder RS S SE5 Magnesium, Power Commander V with Autotune, HMF Exhaust, Green air filter,
    TricLed/Custom Dynamics Led Project titled "Knight Rider"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I spoke with my local U-Haul dealer and the 6' wide X 12' long double axle trailer with ramp will not accommodate a Spyder RT. you lose about 8 inches due to the ramp supports on each side making the 6' wide trailer about 64" wide.

I did find a CampOut Dealer in Miami who sells and rents trailers that will accommodate the Spyder...$650 for 10 days. Seems pricy. For about $3K I can purchase a Drop Tail trailer...the rental cost is 1/5th the cost of the Drop Tail...expensive either way.

Thoughts...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nikon View Post
    I spoke with my local U-Haul dealer and the 6' wide X 12' long double axle trailer with ramp will not accommodate a Spyder RT. you lose about 8 inches due to the ramp supports on each side making the 6' wide trailer about 64" wide.

I did find a CampOut Dealer in Miami who sells and rents trailers that will accommodate the Spyder...$650 for 10 days. Seems pricy. For about $3K I can purchase a Drop Tail trailer...the rental cost is 1/5th the cost of the Drop Tail...expensive either way.

Thoughts...
    Shop around. I think you can do far better than 3K for an open trailer that will be suitable.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

We bought a trailer last year to go to Maggie Valley, however, it was too small. We still used it, but had to strap the back because the Spyder was too long. We do know now that the Spyder RT is 105" long. Good luck finding one. We're ryding to Tennessee, because we just can't afford another trailer right now!!