Thread: RSS & backrest

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RSS & backrest

I have a friend who just bought a new RSS and is interested in a backrest. I have yet to see his bike. Is all that is required is just the backrest or is there more to it than that? Looking at the BRP catalog the prices seem outrageous. I saw this from another owner and don't know anything about them. Can somebody give a review? Thanks so much.

http://www.classiccruiser.com/RoadKr...Spyder/909226/
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Default there are two parts

Hi.. your friend will need to buy the sports rack and the back rest.. booth parts are some how pricey, and the sports rack is not the friendliest of install. I have them both in my RS, and they are a blessing for the passenger.. The sports rack alone is great to carry extra cargo.
    Your friend will have lots of fun buying accessories for his bike.. tell him to get some LEDs from TricLed..they are a site sponsor.

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP rack and backrest and I second the previous post. I spent almost 2 hours this weekend riding with my son in the passenger seat (first passenger ever, mind you) and he loved it. He said and I quote "it is mad comfortable". Although it is pricy, you can find a good deal. There are few of them listed on e-bay now and I saw one here in the For Sale section. As for the install, I did it myself; took about 1 hour and I learned to read and re-read instructions and take my time with it and all worked out in the end. Good luck.

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone bought the backrest for their 2012 models? The website does not mention 2012 and I think its only because they did not update their webpage. I don't think there was a change in bolt patterns between the 11 and 12 but just checking to make sure. Thanks

Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Looking good.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Has anyone bought the backrest for their 2012 models? The website does not mention 2012 and I think its only because they did not update their webpage. I don't think there was a change in bolt patterns between the 11 and 12 but just checking to make sure. Thanks

I too am considering this backrest. I have posted this backrest a couple of times no one seems to have installed one. I guess we will be the first.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My opinion (and 2 cents)

I do not have the RoadKrome backrest, but notice that the mounting brackets to go with it are separate. While at $210.00 compared to $640.00 I can understand going with the RoadKrome backrest. My only thing against it, and why I went with the BRP setup, was removing the backrest. With the RoadKrome you have (according to their pics) the bracket bars standing up, but with the BRP you have the sport lid. Of course if you never remove the backrest this is a mute point. The only time I have my backrest on is when I have a passenger with me.

As for how good a backrest is for the passenger. I have ridden with my wife and both daughters on the bike, and they won't ride without it now. It gives them such a secure feeling that when Katie and I went to SITR she was texting her Mom and sister all the way up and back without holding on (her Mom did not like that).
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP back rest installed on my 2012 RSS. When I have a passenger on the back they LOVE IT! When I don't have a passenger, I LOVE the rear deck lid!!
    The back rest goes on and off in just a few seconds
    The back rest also is adjustable and you can buy it in a color that matches your Spyder!!
    Most of all it looks like it belongs on the spyder!! Sorry no offense but the other mentioned back rest just doesn't look right to me. The money saved doesn't help the thought of having to look at that for years to come. Just my 2 cents worth.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by H.L.Spyder Guy View Post
    I have the BRP back rest installed on my 2012 RSS. When I have a passenger on the back they LOVE IT! When I don't have a passenger, I LOVE the rear deck lid!!
    The back rest also is adjustable and you can buy it in a color that matches your Spyder!!
    Most of all it looks like it belongs on the spyder!! Sorry no offense but the other mentioned back rest just doesn't look right to me. The money saved doesn't help the thought of having to look at that for years to come. Just my 2 cents worth.
    As I am retired and watching my pennies the extra $400 for a BRP backrest is out of the question. I am not too concerned with the looks of the backrest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default how do you remove the backrest to just have the flat plate?

Hi I was wondering how to remove the backrest when I don't have a passenger?

Quote Originally Posted by H.L.Spyder Guy View Post

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tink'sToy View Post
    Hi I was wondering how to remove the backrest when I don't have a passenger?
    Very easy. You lift the seat like you do to fill the gas tank. There will be a red pull that "unhinges" the seat. Just pull it forward and the backrest is released to be removed. Then you just put the flat plate in it's place. Some people also buy a mono cowl that covers the space, but I like the look of the plate.

Spyder Garage

Just to let you know that when the backrest is being used there is no rack to put stuff on.With Kewelmetal's backrest and sport rack you can still carry a cooler when the backrest is on.

Spyder Garage

Cool Have a spare back rest

I have a friend who just bought a new RSS and is interested in a backrest. I have yet to see his bike. Is all that is required is just the backrest or is there more to it than that? Looking at the BRP catalog the prices seem outrageous. I saw this from another owner and don't know anything about them. Can somebody give a review? Thanks so much.

I have a spare backrest your friend can have for $30.00 plus shipping if he is interested. It's in perfect condition but I need the sport rack for luggage. Just email me at jharpo1@verizon.net if he's interested.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by swrafey2000 View Post
    Just to let you know that when the backrest is being used there is no rack to put stuff on.With Kewelmetal's backrest and sport rack you can still carry a cooler when the backrest is on.
    I use the BRP passenger backrest with a Kuryakin Grand Tour Bag. In front when riding alone, and provides me a backrest; in the back of the backrest, strapped to the BRP backrest and the rear grab bars. Whether you install forward or behind the BRP backrest, the bag performs flawlessly.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the rack and rest on my 2012 RSS and love it.

Spyder Garage

I am interested in the BRP version if anyone is selling one.

"Tigger" 2011 RS-S Alloy Orange/Matte Black (hers)
    "Hammer Head" 2012 RoadGlide Custom (his)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jharpo View Post
    I have a spare backrest your friend can have for $30.00 plus shipping if he is interested. It's in perfect condition but I need the sport rack for luggage. Just email me at jharpo1@verizon.net if he's interested.
    Just ran across this post. Any chance you still have that spare backrest and if so what color?
    MY RIDE - 2011 RSS SE5 Alloy Orange/Matte Black
    MY MODS - Yoshimura Exhaust, BRP Comfort Seat, Fog Lights, Battery Tender, 4.5" Easy Risers, Kuryaken Iso Grips, Cal Sci XL Windshield, Cruise-mate Throttle Lock, Green Air Filter, O2 modifier, Weaver Floorboards, Baja Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Smoothspyder Adjustable Backrest, Center LED Tail Light and Magic Brake Flasher.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Faran, r u sure about the cover!?

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    Very easy. You lift the seat like you do to fill the gas tank. There will be a red pull that "unhinges" the seat. Just pull it forward and the backrest is released to be removed. Then you just put the flat plate in it's place. Some people also buy a mono cowl that covers the space, but I like the look of the plate.
    Faran, good to see you again! Even if it is just online and a pic of you... lol

Are you sure about the cowl cover!? I have that cover (REALLY LIKE IT), and it covers the 'rear half' of the seat. It does not seem to cover the rack area. I've been looking at that because I am adding the Sport Rack and Back Rest too. (still searching for a deal on the Sport Rack though, Magnesium color if anyone has one!

Stay in touch!
    J

Spyder Garage

I have a back rest that I am willing to let go. Silver and rarely used.

I am installing a Givi top case on the sport rack. It is a project but once done it will give me that lockable long range storage I want.

I also bought an Ultimate seat with back rest. It moves easily to the passenger position. I am not sure you would need a back rest if you have a passenger to lean on. I never carry a passenger so I have no experience about what works in this area.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JsSpy View Post
    Faran, good to see you again! Even if it is just online and a pic of you... lol

Are you sure about the cowl cover!? I have that cover (REALLY LIKE IT), and it covers the 'rear half' of the seat. It does not seem to cover the rack area. I've been looking at that because I am adding the Sport Rack and Back Rest too. (still searching for a deal on the Sport Rack though, Magnesium color if anyone has one!

Stay in touch!
    J

Duh. You are right. I was thinking of just the plate and not the full cover. I don't have that one.

Take care of yourself and Merry Christmas!

Faran