Spyder Garage

Default Anyone bought the chrome handlebar cover off of ebay (plastic cover)

There is a cover on ebay that is made of ABS and chromed that covers the handlebars. Just sticks on with tape. Looks pretty decent, is cheaper than the factory one (although I think it is still too much), and you dont have to remove the entire half of the bike to put it on. I have the factory nav mount and I am pretty sure, it will not work with that. I asked the seller and they did not know. Anyone purchased one? If so do you think the factory GPS mount will work with it?

Spyder Garage

Saw that the other day, would love to hear about the quality etc.................. With you on the price as well!
    2011 RTS SM5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The BRP Chrome handlebars, although super quality, cost an arm and a leg up here in Canada. The install is also a bear.

This offering is exactly what I have been looking for and it is definitely at the top of my purchase list.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Since I won't be buying this for a few more months, I too would appreciate it if someone who has or will purchase this item posts a review.

Spyder Garage

Default Chromed Handlebar Cover

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    There is a cover on ebay that is made of ABS and chromed that covers the handlebars. Just sticks on with tape. Looks pretty decent, is cheaper than the factory one (although I think it is still too much), and you dont have to remove the entire half of the bike to put it on. I have the factory nav mount and I am pretty sure, it will not work with that. I asked the seller and they did not know. Anyone purchased one? If so do you think the factory GPS mount will work with it?
    I purchased the cover and was very pleased with the quality of the cover. When I installed cover it fit nice but didn't want to go down on the handlebars and around the ignition switch. I have an IPS key holder and it would not fit with the cover. I used a 2" hole saw & drilled the bottom of cover for clearance. Installed cover and am very please with the fit. If you don't have the IPS key holder, I think you need to use a file around the hole on the cover to make it a little larger around the switch to fit down on the bars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dickjanewats View Post
    I purchased the cover and was very pleased with the quality of the cover. When I installed cover it fit nice but didn't want to go down on the handlebars and around the ignition switch. I have an IPS key holder and it would not fit with the cover. I used a 2" hole saw & drilled the bottom of cover for clearance. Installed cover and am very please with the fit. If you don't have the IPS key holder, I think you need to use a file around the hole on the cover to make it a little larger around the switch to fit down on the bars.
    No GPS I am assuming. I wonder if it will interfere with the mount.

Spyder Garage

Default Chrome Handlebar Cover

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    No GPS I am assuming. I wonder if it will interfere with the mount.
    Correct, No GPS. The orginal 4 bolts are in still accessable, although they are recessed in the cover. Not sure how the GPS mounts but there is a small rectangular hole which matches the handlebar plug where I have a spyder decal that I purchased on e-bay that is still visable.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dickjanewats View Post
    Thank you for the update. Am I correct in assuming that after your mods to the unit you were able to utilize the IPS with this cover?
    Can you post a close up picture of the installed cover?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you grab us a link to this item? Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Chrome Handlebar Cover

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Thank you for the update. Am I correct in assuming that after your mods to the unit you were able to utilize the IPS with this cover?
    Can you post a close up picture of the installed cover?
    Yes, I could use my IPS . Hopefully these pictures will help you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Can you grab us a link to this item? Thanks!

Here is one link on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyde...920e04&vxp=mtr

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Looks very nice..Do you get any glare when sun is over your shoulder?? I recently put on polished Madstad footrests and I can get some wicked glare from them if the sun is in the wrong spot.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Looks very nice..Do you get any glare when sun is over your shoulder?? I recently put on polished Madstad footrests and I can get some wicked glare from them if the sun is in the wrong spot.

I asked the same question about a year ago and no one seemed to have the problem with the BRP handle bar "cover", or at least never responded.

I use the KewlMetal GPS mount, (I like it better than the BRP mount that came with the limited) so I am sure it will work. I am getting the part today and am guessing that I will have to tear the whole side apart to remove the GPS wiring put on the chrome, then reinstall the GPS, right??

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..