Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is there a special wave for Can-Am riders??

When I rode my Goldwing life was simple - almost all bikes I passed in the opposite direction would wave and I would wave back. The Newbies usually had a high wave - something like you might give your grandparents after a weekend visit at their house. The more experienced riders would give you the low wave; one that acknowledged your presence on a motorcycle, but didn't get too excited about it. Occasionally it was just a subtle nod of the helmet, but it did at least reinforce the common bond between us.

Now that I'm riding a Cam-Am, everything is confused. Other bikers stare as I go by, unsure if I merit a wave or not. When I meet up with another rare Can-Am rider, it's high waves from both of us (see Newbie wave above), but others just don't know what to do. My question is - Is there a Universal Can-Am Wave (UCW) that I should be aware of? Perhaps holding up three fingers, to signify three wheels?? I did notice a couple of Harley guys giving me a one finger wave, but that confused me even more as they are not riding unicycles. Regardless, in an effort to form camaraderie I gave them the one finger Harley wave right back. It must have worked, as I could see them turning around in my mirror, but I was late for an appointment and didn't have time to stop and chat with them. Next time.

2008 Spyder GS--> 2012 Harley Dyna

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wave to everybody but I usually save the one finger wave for stupid drivers.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

There is no specific wave for the that I am aware of. I wave similar to what the other bike does. Can't see finger counts from a distance so don't try to match them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I wave low as the bikes pass me, only the passing bike points and stares. I learned to take that as a complement. Go For It. Spyders Rock.........

Spyder Garage

No special wave that I'm aware of. Alot of this stuff seems regional. Who waves and how. Who doesn't etc

In Cali it's the low two finger "drag". Harley's are the best responders. Crotch rockets don't participate. Metrics are 50/50.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
    No special wave that I'm aware of. Alot of this stuff seems regional. Who waves and how. Who doesn't etc

In Cali it's the low two finger "drag". Harley's are the best responders. Crotch rockets don't participate. Metrics are 50/50.

So what's a metric? Is that the politically correct way to say what we used to call "Rice Burners" in the 70s or is it all foreign made bikes?
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

I never realized in all my years of riding a wave was so deep and had such meaning.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    So what's a metric? Is that the politically correct way to say what we used to call "Rice Burners" in the 70s or is it all foreign made bikes?
    Non Harley Cruisers, The rice burners are called Sport bikes now since the Japanese and Euros started to make Cruisers al la Harley.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ivorspyder View Post
    I never realized in all my years of riding a wave was so deep and had such meaning.
    I do the ; Wooooo, And wiggle my Raccoon tail that i have on my helmet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post

I believe they are now called "Ricers". Applies to Japanese made Cars and Bikes, that are usually "souped" up - you know, rear spoilers on cars that simply do not belong there, or whistling sounds implanted into mufflers, so they sound cool, etc. As for waves... I wave to everyone, but since I switched to Spyder few weeks ago, I do not get too many waves back. Oh well, such is life!

Spyder Garage

The official Spyder Wave is the 3 finger wave for 3 wheels.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SequiMike View Post
    When I rode my Goldwing life was simple - almost all bikes I passed in the opposite direction would wave and I would wave back. The Newbies usually had a high wave - something like you might give your grandparents after a weekend visit at their house. The more experienced riders would give you the low wave; one that acknowledged your presence on a motorcycle, but didn't get too excited about it. Occasionally it was just a subtle nod of the helmet, but it did at least reinforce the common bond between us.

Now that I'm riding a Cam-Am, everything is confused. Other bikers stare as I go by, unsure if I merit a wave or not. When I meet up with another rare Can-Am rider, it's high waves from both of us (see Newbie wave above), but others just don't know what to do. My question is - Is there a Universal Can-Am Wave (UCW) that I should be aware of? Perhaps holding up three fingers, to signify three wheels?? I did notice a couple of Harley guys giving me a one finger wave, but that confused me even more as they are not riding unicycles. Regardless, in an effort to form camaraderie I gave them the one finger Harley wave right back. It must have worked, as I could see them turning around in my mirror, but I was late for an appointment and didn't have time to stop and chat with them. Next time.
    Great post. Thanks!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

You are too funny...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just keep control of your back as you wave... It really stinks when a simple wave becomes a front-page story!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just lie on my back and wave my eight legs

Spyder Garage

When other riders wave I will respond with a low hand wave, but when I see another Spyder Ryder, which is rare, I'll do a medium high thumbs up gesture.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wave

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSue View Post
    You are too funny...
    Screw the wave. I have been riding since 1967 and quit waving a couple of years ago. It used to mean something when you were on a bike but now there are so many my arm was getting tired with the waving. So you are on a bike--so what?

Spyder Garage

I don't get as many waves on the Spyder as I did on two wheels.

But I figured from the front they did not even realize it was a motorcycle until they were on you.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

Spyder Riders tend to be 'Out of the Box' types. And the range goes from 'Born on a Bike' to 'Just Got Mine'! Since the Spyder is a one of a kind machine, each rider has their own wave. And they are all good!

Other people are confused and don't know how to take the Spyder, but we are not confused at all and that's all that matters.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Wave

I see other Spyders so seldom. Usually they are riding with a group of non-spyders so I give the 2-finger low wave as the group passes but, the Spyder, I point right at them and they do the same...so far

Last edited by Ride Master; 08-09-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

I just stick my hand out to all riders and public servants, got to keep those officers smiling I tried to convince the wife to do the hand feeling the air thing like on the commercials but she is an old stick in the mud LOL don't tell her I said that.
    Ram mount on both upper air deflectors custom ram mount for ATC9k action cam
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    Dual Color MagicFLEX® Channelz finder lights
    TIPZ units
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR UPPER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR LOWER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CATALYTIC CONVERTER SHIELD
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sequimike you cracked my up with the bit about Harley riders and unicycles. That was a funny story.

I get less waves here in southern Indiana on my RT than I did on my Honda VTX V-twin but I kind of expect it is because they don't see me as a bike when we are headed toward each other. Yesterday some Harley riders and I arrived at a restaurant at the same time and I was somewhat concerned for what they might want to say about my RT. There were more of them than there were of me. But they were genuinely interested and we had a good talk. One of them mentioned ongoing physical issues in his back, as I have, and that he may be forced to consider a 3-wheeler. He said he liked the Spyder and would think about it.

One finger unicycle wave. Now that's funny.

2012 Spyder RT-S SE5

Corbin seat, Inspector Gadget cup holder, Original Grip Buddies
    2005 Honda VTX-1800R
    2002 Honda 750 Shadow ACE

Spyder Garage

Default Spaz Wave

I typically do the low, three finger wave to passing bikes, but I have a funny story,...

One day my wife and I were headed down a back road here in MD, and two other white RT's came through headed the other way. The first time we had seen one on the road out here near home.

We were both so stunned to see each other, us and the riders coming the other way, we did a weird, somewhat awkward, spaz wave thing that did not resemble anything "cool" what-so-ever! Haha! It was very funny!

Its all good, just keep your wheels pavement side down.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

I tend to do the 3 finger. I did have a group of hogs follow me the other night. When I was at my stop they pulled in right behind me. They were a good bunch of riders that just wanted a really good look. They about jumped out of their skin when they opened the frunk and put eyes on my back up 9mm.

Spyder Garage

We were both so stunned to see each other, us and the riders coming the other way, we did a weird, somewhat awkward, spaz wave thing that did not resemble anything "cool" what-so-ever! Haha! It was very funny!

Well, now, THAT sounds familiar!!! DOH!