Spyder Garage

Default Installed Capt Jim's Belt Tensioner today...

After reading everything I could find on SpyderLovers about the belt
    tensioner plus Capt Jim's Installation Instructions, I started on the tensioner
    install on my 2012 RT this morning.

I decided to give it a try without removing any side panels, only the 2
    plastic belt guards. After studying the mounting location from underneath the
    spyder (on jack stands) I soon found the right location to mount the bracket and
    drill the two holes in the frame. After I clamped the bracket in place
    with longnose vicegrips, I decided to depart from the instructions and go ahead
    and centerpunch & drill the forward hole while the bracket was clamped.
    Then I put in the front bolt & nut and tightened them down. Now I was able
    to remove the clamp and work on the back hole. Once it was drilled and the bolt
    & nut installed I was done with the bracket and never had to move it
    again. (It would be very difficult to mark both holes at the same time, so this
    approach worked well.)

Now that the scary part was done, the rest was easy and Capt Jim's
    instructions were accurate and complete in every aspect. After double checking
    the alignment, tracking, and tensioner adjustment, I headed out for a short road
    test. After driving just a few miles at speeds from 40 to 70 it was apparent
    that the persistent belt related vibrations at various rpms were all gone! I still have
    occasional harmonic vibrations from mystery causes but the belt related vibrations were noticeably gone.

Capt Jim's Smooth Spyder (sponsor) belt tensioner is a very high quality item and a significant
    spyder performance improvement. It makes you wonder why BRP doesn't include this
    as a standard feature on all Spyders since that super long spyder belt is always going to flex
    and add vibrations any time you ride.

The following are a couple of pics from the install but the first one is from
    Phil's install where he had the side panels removed and you can see the full
    picture..

e21762be[1].jpg Tensioner02.jpg P8075639.jpg P8085649.jpg
    Last edited by cjackg; 08-09-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Spyder Garage

big improvement on vibration. a must do mod.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

What is the difference between capt jims belt tensioner and the smoothspyder?

Spyder Garage

I believe they are the same person.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JRWW View Post
    What is the difference between capt jims belt tensioner and the smoothspyder?
    Same thing... He is a SpyderLovers sponsor..... http://www.smoothspyder.com/products.html

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
    big improvement on vibration. a must do mod.
    Yes, I agree!! I have removed a lot of the vibration but still have a little more to figure out and remove.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I took my RT to Jim Potts Motorsports in Woodstock, IL. for the brake pin recall. Their service manager spotted my belt tensioner immediately and asked what it was. After explaining, he stated that it BRP would not honor the warranty on the belt with the tensioner. He got curious and took pics to show his mechanic. He knew nothing of the belt vibration problems. Then
    I'm told he's never ridden a Spyder. He rides a Harley. DUH!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    After reading everything I could find on SpyderLovers about the belt
    tensioner plus Capt Jim's Installation Instructions, I started on the tensioner
    install on my 2012 RT this morning.

I decided to give it a try without removing any side panels, only the 2
    plastic belt guards. After studying the mounting location from underneath the
    spyder (on jack stands) I soon found the right location to mount the bracket and
    drill the two holes in the frame. After I clamped the bracket in place
    with longnose vicegrips, I decided to depart from the instructions and go ahead
    and centerpunch & drill the forward hole while the bracket was clamped.
    Then I put in the front bolt & nut and tightened them down. Now I was able
    to remove the clamp and work on the back hole. Once it was drilled and the bolt
    & nut installed I was done with the bracket and never had to move it
    again. (It would be very difficult to mark both holes at the same time, so this
    approach worked well.)

Now that the scary part was done, the rest was easy and Capt Jim's
    instructions were accurate and complete in every aspect. After double checking
    the alignment, tracking, and tensioner adjustment, I headed out for a short road
    test. After driving just a few miles at speeds from 40 to 70 it was apparent
    that the persistent belt related vibrations at various rpms were all gone! I still have
    occasional harmonic vibrations from mystery causes but the belt related vibrations were noticeably gone.

Capt Jim's Smooth Spyder (sponsor) belt tensioner is a very high quality item and a significant
    spyder performance improvement. It makes you wonder why BRP doesn't include this
    as a standard feature on all Spyders since that super long spyder belt is always going to flex
    and add vibrations any time you ride.

The following are a couple of pics from the install but the first one is from
    Phil's install where he had the side panels removed and you can see the full
    picture..

e21762be[1].jpg Tensioner02.jpg P8075639.jpg P8085649.jpg

Spyder Garage

The Service Tech at Jim Potts may ride a HD but I can assure you he has ridden Spyders and is no doubt the best tech in the area. JMHO and experience.
    2011 Pearl White RT Limited
    HMT Brake Light, Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Lights, GloRyders, Seal Floorboards, Powerlet 12V, Garage Door Momentary Button, Bump Skid, Elka's Stage 1, Ultimate Sea, Air Wings

Member of the Woodstock Spyder Ryders (Illinois)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    I took my RT to Jim Potts Motorsports in Woodstock, IL. for the brake pin recall. Their service manager spotted my belt tensioner immediately and asked what it was. After explaining, he stated that it BRP would not honor the warranty on the belt with the tensioner. He got curious and took pics to show his mechanic. He knew nothing of the belt vibration problems. Then
    I could certainly see them having warranty problems on the belt due to this modification... but I'm not sure they're really covering belts anyway as they are a wear item. I had 56,000 miles on my original belt without any problems.... had the belt tensioner on for the last 20,000 miles.

On my RT it feels so smooth I have not felt the need for the tensioner......

Pertaining to the HD and vibrations, certainly many HD's vibrate far more than the Spyder... in particular at idle... but once they are at speed they do smooth out quite a bit.

I still contend that many complaining about the Spyder vibrations just aren't familiar with having a 1,000 cc V-Twin underneath them....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

He told me he had never ridden a Spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The Service Tech at Jim Potts may ride a HD but I can assure you he has ridden Spyders and is no doubt the best tech in the area. JMHO and experience.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was told by him that BRP warranties the belt for 100,000 miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I could certainly see them having warranty problems on the belt due to this modification... but I'm not sure they're really covering belts anyway as they are a wear item. I had 56,000 miles on my original belt without any problems.... had the belt tensioner on for the last 20,000 miles.

On my RT it feels so smooth I have not felt the need for the tensioner......

Pertaining to the HD and vibrations, certainly many HD's vibrate far more than the Spyder... in particular at idle... but once they are at speed they do smooth out quite a bit.

I still contend that many complaining about the Spyder vibrations just aren't familiar with having a 1,000 cc V-Twin underneath them....

Spyder Garage

The belt is to be adjusted within a certain tension range dictated by BRP. As long as your belt is not adjusted to the top of that range your smoothspyder should not cause it to exceed BRP's edict on belt tension. Therefore there should not be any warranty issue. In fact...IMO....you are doing your Spyder and BRP a favor having installed it.

Just another service manager with a personal opinion.......no different than mine. Who's right?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

In BRP's warranty exceptions it states:

Exclusions - Are Not Warranted

Normal wear and tear, such as, without limitation, wear and tear of the tires, battery, generator brushes, sealed beams and light bulbs, clutch plates and facings, drive belt, brake pads, brake linings and rotors and sprockets.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

He needs to read up on what is warrantied and what is not.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I owned an HD RoadKing and I know what you mean about the v-twin vibration, but the RT has a harmonic vibration that is different. If it is the belt, like some people have mentioned, I may get the belt tensioner. I get a vibration at about 5500 RPM and it doesn't matter what gear I'm in. Once I get past that rpm range, everything is smooth again.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

He told me he had never ridden a Spyder
    Doug I don't think the service manager is there anymore. The service tech is good but there were questions about the manager. He told me and another rider that he had installled the new ECU filter. When I went to change my oil I found that he had not done mine or the other riders RT. I was not happy but he is not there anymore so I will continue to use the good tech that is still there and did most of the work on Spyders anyway.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)