Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18 wheelers

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 18 wheelers

I am new to riding on the Interstate, but the few rides we have taken, when approaching an 18 wheeler I encounter a heck of lot of buffering. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong. It tends to scare the out of me and the little woman behind me gets very unhappy. As everybody knows we don't want an unhappy woman.. Thanks..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    I am new to riding on the Interstate, but the few rides we have taken, when approaching an 18 wheeler I encounter a heck of lot of buffering. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong. It tends to scare the out of me and the little woman behind me gets very unhappy. As everybody knows we don't want an unhappy woman.. Thanks..
    It's normal. Try increasing the spring tension on your front shocks for added stability.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're aware that it's going to happen; it'd easier to deal with it! Grip the tank with your knees to help steady yourself on the bike too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It seems to be the "normal" thing. I also note that 18 wheelers that are carrying shipping containers instead of a regular trailer seem to give off even more buffeting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The best way to deal with 18 wheeler is, stay as far as you can to the left an put the hammer down. If you can't pass stay back off them at lest a 100 feet or further. Trust me I drive a 18 wheeler I look for bikes that are not paying attention an do my best to let them go around if possible.I have a 2010 RT when we went to Cowtown this year I had them put the ELKa [stage #1] shocks on an I don't worry about 18 wheelers any more, Put a good pair of shocks and adj your air in your tires if you are running what BRP recommends it's to low for me I'am 6'2'' 255 lb the stiffer the front end is the better you can feel the road which all falls back to the handling of your spyder. I run 30 in the front 30 in the rear, My wife has a 2011 RS an she runs 20 in the front an 30 in the rear. She 5' 4'' and NO I'am not that stupid
    Last edited by johnnyg; 08-08-2012 at 05:18 PM.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I watched one shred a tire on I-95. Itry to be in a different zip code when following them.

Spyder Garage

Default No buffeting

I passed this 18 wheeler (well honestly I don't know how many wheels it has) and had no buffeting at all.

IMG_00000005.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you ride with your windshield all the way up? I find that doing that causes more buffeting so I always ride with mine all the way down.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Elkas fixed a lot of the buffeting for me. I do get around them as quickly as possible. Saw one hit a rubber gater and sent rubber flying all over. Bit unnerving on a bike.
    Ray
    "Instead of arriving in Heaven in a nice well perserved body I'd rather slide in feet first, all beat up, loudly proclaiming thank you Jesus for a great ride!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Cowboy View Post
    Elkas fixed a lot of the buffeting for me. I do get around them as quickly as possible. Saw one hit a rubber gater and sent rubber flying all over. Bit unnerving on a bike.

Elkas solved it for me as well.The Spyder is Rock solid,but I get pitched around a bit.To be expected.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong.
    Normal. Two-wheelers suffer the same problem. The best thing is to stay loose. The bike gets buffeted but is more stable than you think. The problem is that you also get buffeted and if you're tense (which is normal) and tighten up, then every time you get moved, you also pull on the bars, even if you don't intend to. So your movement pulls the bars and the bike changes direction. Then you work harder at staying straight and get more tense and tighter and the spiral gets worse. Stay loose, let yourself get blown around without moving the bars and you'll be OK. Annoying but OK. I agree the stiffer front shock setting helps and I recently added Elka's to my 2011 RT and they help a lot. But concentrate on staying loose and keep your arms relaxed. Not easy at first but try it and you'll get the hang of it.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Good advice here. Don't fight it. You'll get used to it in time.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I agree with adding the elka's...............since we had them put on prior to Spyderfest this year, we don't have near the problems with 18 wheelers as in the past!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Do you ride with your windshield all the way up? I find that doing that causes more buffeting so I always ride with mine all the way down.
    I agree but when I do this I get some helmet buffeting (I've got the sport windscreen)...The only time I crank it all the way up is when I'm going over 70 to stop the helmet shake. The sport windscreen does help with turbulence. One word of caution though, if you like looking over the windscreen and add Elkas, it raises the front up and you're only about an inch lower than where you started.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default Buffeting

Much like the "wandering" that some new riders report, buffeting is more a matter of what the rider feels than what is happening to the Spyder. Just relax and steer normally and you'll find the machine handles the wind with no problem. You don't need high priced shocks or settings so high as to make the ride too stiff for comfort. As you will quickly find, this forum is full of folks who can't wait to "improve" their ride with all kinds of after market devices. I am not saying these add ons are of no value, but do feel most are not needed for safe operation. Get used to your machine with at least 600-1,000 miles riding time and then make a decision on shocks; you just might save yourself some serious money.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks to Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinderhook View Post
    Much like the "wandering" that some new riders report, buffeting is more a matter of what the rider feels than what is happening to the Spyder. Just relax and steer normally and you'll find the machine handles the wind with no problem. You don't need high priced shocks or settings so high as to make the ride too stiff for comfort. As you will quickly find, this forum is full of folks who can't wait to "improve" their ride with all kinds of after market devices. I am not saying these add ons are of no value, but do feel most are not needed for safe operation. Get used to your machine with at least 600-1,000 miles riding time and then make a decision on shocks; you just might save yourself some serious money.
    I really appreciate all the replys, and I am going to try to stay "loose and relaxed" when I am behind an 18 wheeler. You can bet that I am going to be squeezing the Spyder with my knees, though. Thanks again and God Bless..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The reason that I suggested locking on with your knees, is that the buffeting can get you to rocking around int he saddle and it's easy to add a little bit of unwanted steering input under those conditions...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Buffering

Installed Stage 1 Elka's and relaxed the grip on my 2011 RT limited. I am now "one" with the . Works great! I highly recommend it!
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Speed up to pass as quickly as possible. Trying to pass at 2 or 3 miles faster than the 18 wheeler, you are asking for disaster...getting sucked into the rig being one possibility. Handle the Spyder as you would a car...not much difference.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The reason that I suggested locking on with your knees, is that the buffeting can get you to rocking around int he saddle and it's easy to add a little bit of unwanted steering input under those conditions...
    I found with the stock pegs on my GS SE5 that it was pretty hard for me to squeeze my knees to hold onto my Spyder but after installing the Seal Floorboards and 4"x1" HeliBars Risers I don't really need to squeeze my knees at all.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

After awhile you will recognize which trucks produce more turbulence than others. You will also estimate their speed because the faster they drive the more turb they create. In the summer, the air is also hotter! The standard square lined trucks and boxes will create the most. Some trucking lines now put aerodynamic lines in the front on top of the roof, and in the back of the trailer for fuel economy (wish we could do that). These produce the least turb. Soon you will associate who has what, even subconciously. I prefer staying in the fast lane when I ryde alone, depending on traffic of course. Living in the hot desert there is a lot of junk lying in the slow lanes from truck tires. The two lanes on the right will tend to have a broken surface, even the cement ones, caused by the heavy vehicles. Spyder ryders do not like this. When traffic increases I will move to the most middle lane looking for escape routes. And look out for the fast boys coming behind you. Many do not drive defensively!
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 18 wheelers

last serious encounter with an 18 wheeler i dont remember much buffeting but i do rember thinking OH CRAP just as i relised he wasnt stopping at the stop sign and then it was just very painfull until the ambulance got there. theres not much give in a kenworth when u slam into the side of it i seriously dont recomend it at all

mick
    keep the shiny side up

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    The standard square lined trucks and boxes will create the most.
    Actually these are the worst:

2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

When I'm passing an 18 wheeler I make it as quick as possible. And I stay as far away from it as the number of lanes will allow. There's going to be buffeting from them no matter what you do...get past it as quick as possible or stay as far away from it as possible.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    When I'm passing an 18 wheeler I make it as quick as possible. And I stay as far away from it as the number of lanes will allow. There's going to be buffeting from them no matter what you do...get past it as quick as possible or stay as far away from it as possible.
    It's good advice if you can..On places like I-75 which is just loaded with semis you are constantly in their company.
    2012 Spyder RT