Thread: Help please

Spyder Garage

Default Help please

2011 RTS (semi automatic)
    Went to start her up this morning and things went downhill fast. First I got the dreaded limp mode on the display. Wanted to move it to a better location so I put it in reverse, she went crazy.. lights flashing, display gone, engine sounded horrible. I shut her down and now I cannot get anything but flashing lights and no display. Put it on charger just in case, but to no avail. Taking to the dealer on Monday.

My question is regarding how to manually disengage the parking brake, so that we can get it on a trailer.

Thanks in advance.
    2018 RT Limited , Champange with black and pink strips

Spyder Garage

Charge your battery! First I would remove the body panels and check the battery connections at the battery (not the jumper connections under the seat) for tightness and cleanliness. If you don't have a Battery Tender or other smart motorcycle battery maintainer, you should think about one. If the battery runs down repeatedly, have the dealer check for excess battery draw from the radio, and also do the radio antenna sealing service bulletin.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

I had the charger on it all day and it shows fully charged. Never had a problem with the battery before but who knows. Unfortunately did not resolve the problem. I am about to start removing tupperware and check posts. Thanks for the suggestions.

Spyder Garage

You can do some simple tests on the battery if you have a multimeter. They are available pretty cheap these days.

After charging, let the battery sit for anywhere from a few hours to overnight. It should retain at least 12.7 volts. This assumes that the radio is not pulling excessive load. You can prevent that by removing the fuse while the Spyder rests, and check that by putting the meter ste to milliamps across the fuse terminals with the Spyder off. Lamont had a thread on this. To conduct a simple load test, hold the throttle wide open to prevent starting, and crank the engine. The voltmeter should not drop below 10.0 volts. If the battery fails either test, it should be replaced. The multimeter can also be used to check the charging output while the engine is running...if you get it running well. One other thing you should check is your fuses and relays, to see that they are well seated. You can even swap the relays around to test for a bad one. Best of luck with your troubleshooting.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default update

Late last night we determined the cause to be a fuse (in the frunk). After that she started right up

Love the Spyderlovers resources, thanks Scotty!

Spyder Garage

ive said this many times battery tender at all times not riding and check fusses and relays ever 500 miles pushe them in they vibrate loose same as the battery cable vibrates loose check often any one of these will make your spyder go crazy.ive found these things loose often .now ride like the wind and have fun.