Thread: Oil changes

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Oil changes

What kind of oil does the spyder use,it`s due for a change,just bought a 2010 rt-s.Any help would be nice,thanks.

Spyder Garage

Your manual has this information. If you don't have a manual, you can download one here. http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og

BRP specifies either their 4-stroke synthetic blend XPS Summer Weight, or a 5W-40 (10W-40 should be OK) semi-synthetic or full-synthetic motorcycle oil, meeting the requirements for API service SL, SJ, SH, or SG classification. Do not use a motor oil meeting the API service SM or ILSAC GF-4 classification.

Please note that there is more to a service interval than merely changing the oil and filter. There are several other tasks that should be performed.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder oil

So...I went thru every brand of synthetic oil in the rack. I understand NOT using service grade SM....but ALL the synthetic I found is labeled SN...but has a secondary list with multiple grades that its equivalent to....including SM???

Spyder Garage

Default Be safe..!!

get the XPS oil sold at dealers or online (cheaper and kit contains 5 qt"s oil filter/s o-ring/s and washers), or the Amsoil sold by sponsors on the home page. Happy hunting..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

There are suitable oils available. Sorry your local shops don't carry them. I have not seen any motorcycle oils labeled API-SN, but I have not looked closely lately. Are you sure you were looking at motorcycle oils?
    Last edited by NancysToy; 09-07-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Nope....went to Oreily's....NO motorcycle oil on the entire 20 ft long 8 ft high wall!!!...finally found Lucas semi synthetic MOTORCYCLE oil...just looking for some
    to top off before next change, then Ill order a BRP kit thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

In my area Valvoline 4T 10-40 full synthetic motorcycle oil is consistently available at Walmart and Autozone stores. It's an excellent oil and very suitable for Spyders.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net