Spyder Garage

Default Utopia Backrest Help!

I am in the process of installing my Utopia backrest. I have read all the posts giving hints, my question is this: What did people use to cut thru the plastic seat pan so the bottom T-Bar can be slid up thru the seat?

I have a 10" serrated bread knife that will cut thru the foam but I do not think it will cut the seat pan without bending or breaking!

thanks

Spyder Garage

you don't cut into the pan of the seat with anything....you drill two holes for the base of the backrest. review the instructions on the Utopia page and you will see.

Spyder Garage

You don't cut through the seat pan,you drill 2 holes to connect the 2 parts of the bracket together with 2 bolts.

...as stated a milli-second earlier.
    Last edited by Eraser; 08-03-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: ...as stated a milli-second earlier.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default UTOPIA BACKREST

Quote Originally Posted by ultra93 View Post
    I am in the process of installing my Utopia backrest. I have read all the posts giving hints, my question is this: What did people use to cut thru the plastic seat pan so the bottom T-Bar can be slid up thru the seat?

I have a 10" serrated bread knife that will cut thru the foam but I do not think it will cut the seat pan without bending or breaking!

thanks
    I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU WATCH THEIR VIDEO ON THE INSTALATION BEFORE YOU DO ANOTHER THING.......SERIOUSLY.....Mike..
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-03-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

It's easy enough if you follow their instruction.I put one on aST1300 and one on a Goldwing without to much problem.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, went back and watched all the videos again and now have it figured out. Ready to take the "1st plunge" so to speak!

Thanks again for the quick replies that may have saved me from doing something dumb!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just finished mine and these tips from other spyderlovers helped immensely:

Drill a bit bigger hole in the T bracket that goes on the bottom of the seat.(Just a little bit bigger to allow more play when attaching the armrest bracket)

Cover the holes in the spyder body under the seat, so it doesn't eat any nuts or bolts!

Use some putty or gum to hold the plastic nut and metal spacer when re-installing seat.

Once it is all done you will be very happy, I know I am. Good luck and happy riding!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Here is another tip.
    When connecting the metal support inside the seat to the "T" bracket on the bottom of the seat, use a small screwdriver to line up one of the holes, then mount the bolt through to the second hole. Don't tighten the first bolt down all the way, you still need to let things wiggle. Then mount the second bolt.
    Once both bolts are correctly threaded, you can tighten them both down.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey