Spyder Garage

Default Question about checking the oil level

Pardon me if this has already been asked.

I recently bought a 2008 GS on ebay. When I went to check the oil (cold) there was nothing showing on the dipstick (I did screw it all the way in before checking). I added about 2/3 qt. Amsoil and that brought the cold level up to around halfway between the ADD and FULL mark. Then I drove it around a few miles to heat the oil up. When I checked it again right after shutting down, I noticed the oil was all bubbly and was somewhat above the FULL mark. After letting it settle for about 5-10 minutes, the bubbles are gone and it shows about 1/4 inch above the FULL mark. My questions:
    - is the bubbly look normal when just shutting down, or does this indicate way too much oil?
    - is it worth sucking out that 1/4 inch to bring it back to the FULL mark, or is that not that big a deal?

2008 Spyder GS--> 2012 Harley Dyna

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Check the manual on the procedure - the oil is checked HOT on the RT (assume the same on the RS).
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You should be fine and bubbling immediately after shut down is normal, just let them dissipate before checking.

Spyder Garage

A Spyder requires you to check the oil while the engine is at operating temp. A Spyder uses a dry sump oil system. When cold you will normally get little or no oil on the dip stick because the oil is kept in a secondary reservoir and does not get into the dipstick area until the engine is running. I would suggest you check your oil when you get back from your ride. As to whether you should suck out the excess oil I think I would but it would be better to check with your dealer or wait until on of the gurus here chime in as I am still a very newbie myself.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    You should be fine and bubbling immediately after shut down is normal, just let them dissipate before checking.
    Thanks - glad to hear it's nothing I need to worry about. I'd rather ride my new toy, than have to work on it at this point.

BTW, I noticed your sig line says "'08 silver SM5 pe#3550 of 2500" - how does that work? I'm wondering if that should read #355, in which case it was built very close to mine - #331

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SequiMike View Post
    Thanks - glad to hear it's nothing I need to worry about. I'd rather ride my new toy, than have to work on it at this point.

BTW, I noticed your sig line says "'08 silver SM5 pe#3550 of 2500" - how does that work? I'm wondering if that should read #355, in which case it was built very close to mine - #331
    No that's an old joke...they were only supposed to make 2500 premier editions. I think they wound up making around 3700.
    (and PE's are worth way more!)

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I had an 08 bubbling/foaming is normal right after a hot shut down, Wait 30 sec or so to check the level.
    If in fact the oil is too high [check it again hot With dipstick screwed in] You might want to take some out to avoid blow bye.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL LEVEL

I check mine cold and hot ( like after a ride ).....When cold the oil just touches the fill mark......When hot it 1/4 in. below full......Now I realize this is not perfect but nothing in life is .................................................. ...............................................exc ept the ODYSEEY PC680,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SequiMike View Post
    Pardon me if this has already been asked.

I recently bought a 2008 GS on ebay. When I went to check the oil (cold) there was nothing showing on the dipstick (I did screw it all the way in before checking). I added about 2/3 qt. Amsoil and that brought the cold level up to around halfway between the ADD and FULL mark. Then I drove it around a few miles to heat the oil up. When I checked it again right after shutting down, I noticed the oil was all bubbly and was somewhat above the FULL mark. After letting it settle for about 5-10 minutes, the bubbles are gone and it shows about 1/4 inch above the FULL mark. My questions:
    - is the bubbly look normal when just shutting down, or does this indicate way too much oil?
    - is it worth sucking out that 1/4 inch to bring it back to the FULL mark, or is that not that big a deal?
    I recommend you take your new 08 to a dealer and ask them to plug in the BUDS computer to see what updates have been done to the Spyder. Don't take anyone's word for this. There are a couple of updates that are very important for your safety. Make sure you have the latest model power steering unit (DPS) and make sure there is a long vent hose on the evaporation canister. I am pretty sure BRP will pay for these changes, if they have not been done, because they are safety related.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WaltH View Post
    I recommend you take your new 08 to a dealer and ask them to plug in the BUDS computer to see what updates have been done to the Spyder. Don't take anyone's word for this. There are a couple of updates that are very important for your safety. Make sure you have the latest model power steering unit (DPS) and make sure there is a long vent hose on the evaporation canister. I am pretty sure BRP will pay for these changes, if they have not been done, because they are safety related.
    Thanks for the heads-up! The closest dealer is about an hour away, but I have to head down that way to take the road test on the 25th. I'll ask them to take a look at it then.

Spyder Garage

This is my opinion based on 55,000 miles with two GS's. Check the oil when it is hot. Not warmed up but hot like after running a while. See the manual. Never add more than will bring it to half way up the dip stick.

Why: Any excess oil will blow more oil up into the air box. This is not a problem in itself but it will eventually leak down and get on the engine and then on the floor. It will either make you think you have an oil leak or mask an oil leak or other issue. I have added a piece of air cleaner foam to my return line to stop this from happening and it seems to work. I have also used the catch can method but that never worked very well for me although others have great success with it..

And you do need to get hooked to BUDS and have it checked out especially the DPS thing. If your DPS has not been repaired I would see to that immediately.

Have fun with it.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Recluze View Post
    This is my opinion based on 55,000 miles with two GS's. Check the oil when it is hot. Not warmed up but hot like after running a while. See the manual. Never add more than will bring it to half way up the dip stick.

Why: Any excess oil will blow more oil up into the air box. This is not a problem in itself but it will eventually leak down and get on the engine and then on the floor. It will either make you think you have an oil leak or mask an oil leak or other issue. I have added a piece of air cleaner foam to my return line to stop this from happening and it seems to work. I have also used the catch can method but that never worked very well for me although others have great success with it..

And you do need to get hooked to BUDS and have it checked out especially the DPS thing. If your DPS has not been repaired I would see to that immediately.

Have fun with it.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WaltH View Post
    In the mean time call Customer Support with your VIN # 888-272-9222 and they can Tell you What updates were done and need to be done SO you can cross reference what the dealer tells you?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!