Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can get very hot even with Spyderpops products. I feel it more on the back of my calves then on the foot. I knew that heat on the feet and legs was a major issue with the Spyder before I purchased I just was hopeing that I would be one of the few that did not have the problem. What makes these few without heat issues I dont know, but whoever figures it out will be a very rich person.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks Dave! I appreciate this input; I fear that an awful lot of the complaints may have actually been "owner-inflicted".
    I can't actually suggest this because it's probably stupid and dangerous; but if somebody with the stock footpegs could check out where that airflow is in relation to their feet it would really be useful...
    This is probably about as good an answer as one could ask for. All be it while wearing tennis shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Trust me we're not imagining in. I have about 300k on 2 wheelers, some hot, most not. I went as far as taking IR temp shots when i first got Spyder. Right tennis shoe would read at least 20 degrees higher than left. I plugged the bottom hole and put on cat shields and now the readings are only a couple of degrees different.
    I purchased an IR so I could keep a record of L/R foot temp variances. Also record the ambient riding temps they were recorded in.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 08-02-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Can only speak for myself and I've been riding for 55 years. I too know what NORMAL heat or expected heat issues are. What I experience on the Spyder is NEITHER. Glad you had a good trip with ONLY a couple of days at 100 degrees. Come down my way.....that's the norm.

Sorry, I guess since I, as you say, experienced ONLY a couple of days at 100...I shouldn't have posted my thoughts on the subject. I knew when I posted I would get a little blow back. I'll think twice before I do that again! And I have only been riding about 30yrs. And for the previous poster....I never said you or anyone imagined the heat issues.

Spyder Garage

Default RTs heat on right side

I thought I would chime in on this one. The wife and I just completed a 1,300 mile run from Oak Harbor WA to Lancaster CA. We took US 101 down through Astoria OR to Eureka CA through Yuba City Ca and down through the San Jaquine Valley at temperatures exceeding 100 degrees. Neither of us experienced any discomfort from heat on the right side. Now the outside temp is a different story. Oh, we have a 2011 RTS with Seal full boards and yes, I do prop my boots on the very front top tip of the board.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just out of curiosity, has anyone gone from having a FanCan to removing it, blocking off both sides and cutting holes in the swoop area instead. If so, was there less heat coming up through the seat that way? How about blowing back up on the back of your legs. Just wondering if this was a better option than the FanCan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone gone from having a FanCan to removing it, blocking off both sides and cutting holes in the swoop area instead. If so, was there less heat coming up through the seat that way? How about blowing back up on the back of your legs. Just wondering if this was a better option than the FanCan
    Phil (Texas) has done all of the above and has seat heat problems. Almost certain he mentioned it in a post here http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...r-Solution-for

Tho, he, to the best of my knowledge has never used a fancan.

Originally Posted by cjackg
    Are you running these tests with both upper & lower Spyderpops blocking plates in place ?

(Even if it doesnt work, it is an impressive test. Phil never does things partway!)

Yup. Top and bottom blockers are in place.

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 08-02-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Just cause the title of the thread was "begging" for it

seriously the Spyder has a heat issue on the right side, who knew?
    2011 RTS SM5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    As soon as I found our "misplaced" SpyderPops Heat Shield and reinstalled it All is well
    I totally agree - - and if you add Seal Floorboards to the equation, life gets even better......

Spyder Garage

I installed the Seal Floorboard.I don't have a heat problem until I am fully stretched on the floorboard.If I move my foot right up to the front tip of the board it is much better.I recd the Spyderpops plate and will install that in the next day or so.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzermom View Post
    Just came back from 2 week trip, a couple of +100 degree days, rest upper 80's low 90's. Was the RT hot? You bet but with stock foot pegs feet never felt any hotter than the left foot. I too have been following all the different links to how hot the RT is. Wondering how many folks who have a problem rode 2 wheels, especially Harleys. All bikes are by nature hot especially in the "netherlands".....so riding the RT, heat wise, has not been all that different from the Harley. If the Can-Am is your first bike I can see where it would feel extremely hot to you. But, in my humble opinion, I don't find any more uncomfortable than the 2 wheeler.
    I also have a stock RT, no mods and rode Harley's and Motoguzzis for years in rural Georgia, With daytime temps in the 90 to 100 degree range with 100% humidity it's hard to see the heat as being a Spyder issue. all big displacement bikes create tons of heat and I suppose you get used to it over time. If you are new to riding and live in a cold climate it must e a very dramatic change as campared to winter riding.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I never had a problem with heat with my Spyder, But i had many bikes that thew out more heat than the Spyder did, So i am use to it. That said Brp markets the Spyder very heavily to people with no or little previous Motorcycle experience, So by now they [brp] should have solved the heat problem, And it is a problem for many just read all the posts going back from day one.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I finally found the solution to the flamin' right foot issue. Looks promising :
    http://www.professionalequipment.com...2/shoe-covers/

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Now that's FUNNY!

Current: 2018 F3 Limited
    Previous: 2011 RT with 622 Trailer

Mods:
    F4 Customs 25" Windshield
    F4 Customs Air Wings
    Spyderpops Top Case/Seat Extender
    TackForm Phone Mount
    Lamonster Ram Ball Handlebar Mount
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrests

Spyder Garage

With a pair of these?

41669_H_SH315_MW355.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    I also have a stock RT, no mods and rode Harley's and Motoguzzis for years in rural Georgia, With daytime temps in the 90 to 100 degree range with 100% humidity it's hard to see the heat as being a Spyder issue. all big displacement bikes create tons of heat and I suppose you get used to it over time. If you are new to riding and live in a cold climate it must e a very dramatic change as campared to winter riding.

Spyder Garage

Default Okay I will chime in

Have 20K on my RT-S here in Southern California and I never experienced hot foot until about a month ago. I had stock pegs for 19 of that 20. I put on the Seal Floorboards and my foot is definitely warmer. Now everyone hold on as I do not think it is the floorboards, but I do think that it is a little mass hysteria on my part (just started reading about these hot foot issues) and the riding so far this year has been in some ugly temps, not here in San Diego . It seems there is more complaints this particular year than any other, idk maybe it just hot everywhere this year. I wear tennis shoes 99.9% time (.1% flip-flops). I installed the spyder pops lower along with the seal's and the heat was no better or worse. So in conclusion after all this rambling: I will continue to ride and hope for cool days, btw headed to Sturgis today and should see some high temps going through Nevada and such.

T
    Facta Non Verba
    2010 RT-S SE5 PE 368

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have a safe and fun trip!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd like to see a picture of THAT!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    By account of owners of this mod, Baker Wings are helpful in this issue (I do not own them). In the summer time, you can set the wings to deflect the heat, while in the winter they can be use to contain the heat in the area. Like I said, I am just repeating what Baker Wing owners have reviewed...
    As a Baker Air Wing owner, you are correct. No problem with heat since having them installed. Wouldn't ride without them now with this weather....(100 deg. plus)

Spyder Garage

Neither my wife or I have had any issues with excess heat on our RT-AC...none. Some other RT ryders I know in Central Florida talked about it and none of them have had a problem, either. Not saying others haven't had a problem, just know that I haven't and neither have others in the area I ryde with.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

After reading several threads discussing the "heat problem" and possible solutions, I have to wonder why some people find it unbearable and other report that they have no problems. After all, everything is the same ... or is it?

I don't have any problem with heat even with tennis shoes, but I believe the people who say it's a serious problem. I have to wonder, is it possible that the riding position (most likely due to leg length) could affect the aerodynamics enough to cause the heat to directed towards some people's feet and away from others?

Height: 6', inseam: 33" = no heat problem

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Flight Risk's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doodah View Post
    After reading several threads discussing the "heat problem" and possible solutions, I have to wonder why some people find it unbearable and other report that they have no problems. After all, everything is the same ... or is it?

I don't have any problem with heat even with tennis shoes, but I believe the people who say it's a serious problem. I have to wonder, is it possible that the riding position (most likely due to leg length) could affect the aerodynamics enough to cause the heat to directed towards some people's feet and away from others?

Height: 6', inseam: 33" = no heat problem
    When I try to put my feet up on the top of my Seal Floorboards Delux, the hot air comes out of the right shoot with the fan, goes up my pant leg and it honestly feels like it is going to burn my flesh off. That position puts my foot in front of the hot air opening.

Height: 5' 9 1/2", inseam: 34" = major heat problem
    Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    Drift HD 720 digital video camera w/ remote
    Russell Day-Long Custom Seat and Driver backrest
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka Stage 1 Plus Shocks
    Original Grip Buddies
    Seal Floorboards DLX
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    GloRyders with remote
    Zumo 660 GPS
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

I have the Spyder Pops blocking plate and do not get any heat from there. I do get heat from the tupperwear since it looks loose. But it is not too bad, just a bit warm. Just adding my 2 cents worth!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Wind plays a part.

Hey all. I noticed that the heat from the bike is the hottest when I'm cruising and the wind is blowing into the right side of the bike. Different direction...no heat. Wind blowing from the right...blisters! Easy fix...always head in the direction that has the wind blowing from the left.
    Old - 2012 RTS

New - 2014 RT Limited. Spyderpops Bumpskid. Kott Grills, Bajaron Swaybar and Links, Polaris Shock Stiffeners, Custom Dynamics Brightsides Red and Yellow Fender Lights w/Turn Signal Module, Autozone Mirror LEDs, Custom Dynamics Rear Red Brightsides and HMT Brakelight with Strobe Module, Smoothspyder, Lidlox Handlebar Helmet Locks, Glo ryder 360's for Three Wheels, Pete's Graphic Kit, Mini Trailer USA Shadow.

And Growing!

Spyder Garage

My Rt was one of the ones with blistering heat issues. I do ride with boots and on a 95 degree day had to pull over and take off my boot, because it was flat on fire and no denying it. My foot was red and swollen and pretty tought to get back into my boot. My wife complained that her right side was too toasty as well.

Got the SpyderPops top block off plate and cat shields, which my wife loved, but did little for my flaming foot. Added the FanCan and now my foot was finally comfortable. It does tend to blow heat up through the gap between the seat and tupperware to some degree and wife complains a bit more, but at least we're out riding. There would be no way I would be able to put up with the flamin foot when temps got to be 10+ degrees hotter.

I've thought about taking off the FanCan and cutting holes in the swoop area, but that's a pretty permenant mod. If it did the same or more for blowing air around the seat, I would essentially damage the bike for no gain.

I have not tried blocking off the bottom port only and leaving the top open. It just seems it would redirect more air on the boss and she wouldn't be too happy about that. Perhaps someone could chime in who's tried the combo and tell us the result?

So I guess the heat around the seat is self inflicted, but still sure beats the heck out of a flamin foot. Stock was absolutely unbearable in Phoenix, so something had to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Trust me we're not imagining in. I have about 300k on 2 wheelers, some hot, most not. I went as far as taking IR temp shots when i first got Spyder. Right tennis shoe would read at least 20 degrees higher than left. I plugged the bottom hole and put on cat shields and now the readings are only a couple of degrees different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fliight Risk View Post
    I have the Seal Floorboards Delux on my RT. All I know is Texas is 'ing HOT and my bike generates massive amounts of heat that just adds to it. I wear boots and my right foot feels like it is on fire most of the time. I move my feet around a lot........like jumping beans trying to get relief. My right shin also gets blasted. Not fun at all.
    Fact.

The Spyders operating temperature is controlled by water & air flow. The thermostat opens around 167 degrees and the radiator fan comes on around 216 degrees.

While ambient air mixes with heat coming off the radiator and out the right lower vent. It's ability to cool the 200 plus degree heat being generated by the engine and released by the radiator is relative to the ambient temperature one is riding in. Thus, the higher the ambient temperature one is riding in plays a major role in how much heat is released through the lower right radiator vent. A vent, that is directly in front of the riders right foot when using the stock pegs.

Facts are facts, and if you live and ride in the Southwest this will make sense to you.

Human skin response to heat.

º C
    º F
    Normal human oral/body temperature
    Human skin begins to feel pain
    Human skin receives a first degree burn injury
    Human skin receives a second degree burn injury
    A phase where burned human tissue becomes numb
    Human skin is instantly destroyed
    Water boils and produces steam

http://www.nist.gov/fire/fire_behavior.cfm
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 08-04-2012 at 01:13 PM.