Spyder Garage

Default Cheap tow behind trailer !

Harborfreight tag-a-long trailer...................on sale 399.00.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ler-66771.html

Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, I got mine with a 20% coupon for $320, if you get one, check the wiring, there were lots of bare ends on mine.

john

Spyder Garage

anybody know anyone with an rs that has towed one like this before? looks like the ticket for camping.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I saw these on sale also at my local Harbor Freight. I was wondering if someone had one and how well it pulled behind an RT. I also worry about the 8" tires and speed rating. Thats a lot of rotations at 70 mph for thoses little tires.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Check with Firefly He built one for his RS. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s.....-got-a-hitch

Spyder Garage

I like mine. I bought a sheet of rubber a little over 1/4" thick and everywhere metel contacted metal I cut a piece of rubber to place between the metal pieces to minimize noise. Repack the bearings before you try to actually go anywhere though. Tows great, went to Durango with it in June and on our way to Spyders in the Redwoods next week with it.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hawkiii View Post
    I like mine. I bought a sheet of rubber a little over 1/4" thick and everywhere metel contacted metal I cut a piece of rubber to place between the metal pieces to minimize noise. Repack the bearings before you try to actually go anywhere though. Tows great, went to Durango with it in June and on our way to Spyders in the Redwoods next week with it.
    were they 12" tires like fireflys or were they the 8" tire like the original post?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

55 mph max speed is what the site says...?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msj4848 View Post
    55 mph max speed is what the site says...?

that's for the 8" and that's why i was wondering what size tire he had used!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't see why a bigger wheel couldn't be bolted up... Be careful of a $400 trailer; you're getting exactly what you're paing for! Check everything over about six times just because you know that you paid for the price; not the quality.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The trailer we pull has 8" tires. They hold up real well as long as you don't overload. Pulled mine to TN and back last year, will do it again leaving Saturday.
    Spyder Mods: 23"ultra touring windshield, SpyderAttitude Exhaust, BRP fog Lights, Can Am Wind Deflectors, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Pyle Amplifier w/wired remote, 4x6 Pioneer Speakers, Amber GlorRyders, Spyderpops Missing Air Dam, Joe Florida Amber Accent lighting, Misty Mountain Sheepskin Seat cushion, Custom Dynamics 4" Risers, Street Magic Highway Footrest Brackets,Spyder Footrests, Spyder Driver Footpegs, Spyder Brake Cover, Spyder Shifter Cover, Can Am Hard Bags

Spyder Garage

I put 12 inch wheels on mine, you have to be sure to get the 4.80 X 12, the larger ones won't fit under the fenders. Took it to Spyderfest with no problems.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cheap trailer

This trailer is ok for local hauls but long distance with 8 inch wheels you are asking for trouble the tires and bearings one have to keep a real close eye on them. I had one years ago and pulled it out west and replaced the tire after a blow out and than check the wheel bearings and had to replace them also. The smallest wheel to be safe would be 12 or 13 inch. Follow BRP trailer which is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKnight View Post

Spyder Garage

I have one that I haul behind my RT. If your going to do long rides at Interstate speeds I would recommend 12" wheels. The only thing I would recommend is replace the lights to leds to lower the electrical load on your bike. Harbor Freight has them for around 30$. For the money it is a good deal.

Spyder Garage

I built this a week ago and for the price ($320.00) you can't go wrong.

Holds more than most MC trailer

This little trailer was designed for 600 lb loads.

It has double leaf springs on each side, first thing I did was remove one of the springs and make each side single, this softens things up quit a bit.

They call for 60 lbs tire pressure, give me a break. If your carrying light loads say under 100 lbs air down to about 7 lbs. heavy loads about 10 lbs.

Those two things alone now I can pull it empty and it won't bounce around unless you hit a big pot hole.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKnight View Post

I bought the 4 by 4 trailer from Harbor Freight, and bolted on a car-top carrier from Sears to it. The trailer has 12 cinch tires, and you don't even know it is behind you it pulls so good. Had it up to 70 MPH with no problem. I will know more after the trip I am taking next week to SITR.

Trailer 3.jpg
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JJW SpyderRider View Post
    I saw these on sale also at my local Harbor Freight. I was wondering if someone had one and how well it pulled behind an RT. I also worry about the 8" tires and speed rating. Thats a lot of rotations at 70 mph for thoses little tires.

The harbor freight 12" wheels have the same bolt pattern. Just remove the fenders and build up some vertical spacers and reinstall or buy metal fenders for 12" wheels. The real issue is the cheap hub bearings. Replace them with quality wheel bearings. I used "Bearingn Buddies" hub bearings as they have a single zerk fitting and you just keep pumping grease until is seeps out of the center. Very simple and easy to do as regular maintenance. Try to keep between 20 to 30 pound weight on the tongue and don't load too much weight in it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    The harbor freight 12" wheels have the same bolt pattern. Just remove the fenders and build up some vertical spacers and reinstall or buy metal fenders for 12" wheels. The real issue is the cheap hub bearings. Replace them with quality wheel bearings. I used "Bearingn Buddies" hub bearings as they have a single zerk fitting and you just keep pumping grease until is seeps out of the center. Very simple and easy to do as regular maintenance. Try to keep between 20 to 30 pound weight on the tongue and don't load too much weight in it.
    Be very careful with the use of Bearing Buddies, especially for long trips at high speed. Trailer hubs need to have air space for expansion of the grease due to heat. Without this space, they can overheat and destroy the bearings, or you can blow the seals, letting the grease leak out and risking a bearing running dry (especially the inboard one). Bearing Buddies are designed to keep water out of boat trailer bearings, and do a good job at that, but they are not a substitute for regular bearing maintenance and repacking, and can cause problems on road trips. If you use them, more frequent inspection of the seals for leakage and inspection for heat build-up on the road is necessary. (Feel the wheel at rest stops.) And don't forget to clean, inspect, and repack the wheel bearings annually...Bearing Buddies or not.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

chickridin

This looks a lot like the Piggy Backer but cheaper and maybe a bit smaller. We have a PB'er w/12" wheels and like it. It pulls great.

Spyder Garage

I built my trailer using a old jet ski trailer with 8" wheels.I have towed it behind my pick up but not my bike yet.Am I going to have problems with the smaller wheels?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 12 INCH WHEEL & TIRE

I found this Eastern Marine 1-800-453-7379.....they sell the above in a six-ply 4.80 x 12".....no speed rating listed......but if it's a six ply tire I think it must be pretty high.....I will call Monday......Also the price for the combo was $55 ? I think.....Mike.............PS...I think they also had 6 ply...8 " tires....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-05-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Looks like a car top carrier on wheels...
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Looks like a car top carrier on wheels...
    That is exactly what it is.

Mine works great.. and is 10% of the price of the BRP one.

As much as I'd like to have the BRP one... $400 compared to $4,000 is a hard deal not to turn down.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!