Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Re-thinking the MC after a close call

I had a VERY close call the last Tuesday. Has me thinking about selling my spyder. Scared the ***** out of me. A teen was texting or doing some other distracting activity while driving, and drifted into my lane(55mph zone). I was hugging the guardrail and on the brakes and horn and when I thought I was a gonner, she looked up and jerked the wheel. I dont know how she missed me. It was that close. To dam close. This has been the 3rd time I had someone come into my lane since school let out, but this was the closest incident. Havn't been on the spyder since. Very close to sellin her.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    I had a VERY close call the last Tuesday. Has me thinking about selling my spyder. Scared the ***** out of me. A teen was texting or doing some other distracting activity while driving, and drifted into my lane(55mph zone). I was hugging the guardrail and on the brakes and horn and when I thought I was a gonner, she looked up and jerked the wheel. I dont know how she missed me. It was that close. To dam close. This has been the 3rd time I had someone come into my lane since school let out, but this was the closest incident. Havn't been on the spyder since. Very close to sellin her.
    You've heard "S...Happens" and yes it is like both an obstacle course and a war zone out there at times, but I would never give it up.
    Just think about how you feel every time you really goose it and pull away from all those a..holes that are populating our hwys these days!

Spyder Garage

I gave up gyroplane flying when I purchased my first Spyder in 2008. I have had more scary moments on my Spyder than 20 years of gyro flying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7GeK...e_gdata_player

FMI: www.pra.org or www.rotaryforum.com
    Last edited by Rando; 07-30-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

You just have to take your time and ease back into it. You're the only one who knows for sure and its difficult, but please don't let this incident spoil a great hobby.

You have to ride defensive all the time, try and be aware of everything around you, try to peek in cars and see what the driver is doing.

If possible while watching the car in front see whats happening two/three cars ahead, with experience you learn to read the road.

When stopped at lights never pull close to the car in front, always have an exit route and watch your mirrors for the car behind you.

If ever you feel there is a distracted drive beep your horn, sort blast. If I see a motorist texting and think there not in control I give a short blast, if I get the middle finger I just shrug it off.

You can always wave to someone on the side walk or in another car, you got their attention and they think you beeping at someone else.

I noticed you in New York, are you're coming up to SITA at Lake Placid then ride we a group in the middle get your confidence back.

If you're a new rider and would like, I'm happy to spend some time with you at SITA. I have 35 years ridding experience.

remember, if you unsure beep you horn.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    I gave up gyroplane flying when I purchased my first Spyder in 2008. I have had more scary moments on my Spyder than 20 years of gyro flying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7GeK...e_gdata_player

FMI: www.pra.org or www.rotaryforum.com

Thats looks really cool, not sure I could give that up if I knew how to do it in the first place.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    You just have to take your time and ease back into it. You're the only one who knows for sure and its difficult, but please don't let this incident spoil a great hobby.

You have to ride defensive all the time, try and be aware of everything around you, try to peek in cars and see what the driver is doing.

If possible while watching the car in front see whats happening two/three cars ahead, with experience you learn to read the road.

When stopped at lights never pull close to the car in front, always have an exit route and watch your mirrors for the car behind you.

If ever you feel there is a distracted drive beep your horn, sort blast. If I see a motorist texting and think there not in control I give a short blast, if I get the middle finger I just shrug it off.

You can always wave to someone on the side walk or in another car, you got their attention and they think you beeping at someone else.

I noticed you in New York, are you're coming up to SITA at Lake Placid then ride we a group in the middle get your confidence back.

If you're a new rider and would like, I'm happy to spend some time with you at SITA. I have 35 years ridding experience.

harry

Rob (Mowin) is a good rider, although he does have the worst color Spyder you can get for visability (Phantom).
    Last edited by arntufun; 07-30-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post

harry
    I did not regester for SITA, but was thinking of takin a ride up if i get the time...This is my first MC(been 1 yr this june), and the ONLY reason I got it was because of the safety compared to a 2 wheeler. This really spooked the heck out of me...

Spyder Garage

Default Similar thing happened to me today

A teen came flying out of a private driveway with a cell phone cradled in his ear. Forced me into the ditch. He speed off, got the spyder back on the road and followed him for 2 miles. He hit speeds over 70 I'm sure trying to lose me. I backed off because posted speed is 50. Went back later in the day and found two teen standing beside the car talking. I asked who was driving the red car this morning. Both responded that they did not know. I told them I was the guy on the red motorcycle that they ran off the road. The response from one was " I did not see you". Then he shut up and walked away. This evening I am thinking that I should go speak to the parents but never sure of their response. I was on the brakes and horn, ditch was shallow so the spyder stayed upright. Wife not to happy with motorcycles at this time. Have to watch out for the idiots .

Spyder Garage

Safety is relative. The Spyder is safer than 2 wheels, a car is safer than the Spyder, a BIG SUV is safer than a car, then there is the Abrams M1.

Anytime I ride I just assume everyone out there is trying to kill me and ride accordingly. I don't ride scared, but I do ride so that no matter what the other guy does I've got a very good chance of avoiding an incident.

Everyone has to decide where their comfort level is.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MMcc View Post
    A teen came flying out of a private driveway with a cell phone cradled in his ear. Forced me into the ditch. He speed off, got the spyder back on the road and followed him for 2 miles. He hit speeds over 70 I'm sure trying to lose me. I backed off because posted speed is 50. Went back later in the day and found two teen standing beside the car talking. I asked who was driving the red car this morning. Both responded that they did not know. I told them I was the guy on the red motorcycle that they ran off the road. The response from one was " I did not see you". Then he shut up and walked away. This evening I am thinking that I should go speak to the parents but never sure of their response. I was on the brakes and horn, ditch was shallow so the spyder stayed upright. Wife not to happy with motorcycles at this time. Have to watch out for the idiots .
    Its scarry...This was the third time in a month I had some kid in my lane.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Safety is relative. The Spyder is safer than 2 wheels, a car is safer than the Spyder, a BIG SUV is safer than a car, then there is the Abrams M1.

Anytime I ride I just assume everyone out there is trying to kill me and ride accordingly. I don't ride scared, but I do ride so that no matter what the other guy does I've got a very good chance of avoiding an incident.

Everyone has to decide where their comfort level is.

Safety IS relitive. I wouldnt ride a snowmoblie in areas that were just an accident waitin to happen(tugg Hill).. I need to drive, I dont need to have a MC....but I enjoy it alot..thats where I'm fightin with myself weather is worth the added risk. Only I can answer that question, and it's a tuff one to answer...

Spyder Garage

Very good advice given above. Ultimately, you will have to decide if riding the is still right for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

This year I had both a teen pulling out of a driveway right into my path (I post about that earlier) and another one coming directly at me in the wrong lane at 50mph. Both incidents involved a cell phone. In the case of the teen in the wrong lane, I could see his friends yelling at him while I was sounding my horn furiously (getting ready to ditch rather than being hit head on). He still didn't look up, he was busy texting away. I could see one of his friends finally grab at the wheel. It was horrifying.

If we hit head on both going 50 it would have made no real difference if I was in my SUV or on the Spyder, the results would have disastrous. I think I would have actually had a better chance on the Spyder due to the fact I would had more of a chance to maneuver a way out.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Every time I head out, I get told "Watch your driving." I reply, "It's not my driving I'm concerned about."

Years ago, my car was plowed into by a drunk. Instead of head-on, it was driver's front quarters into each other...plus he had a snowplow hoist on the front which ended up ripping through the side of my car like a can opener - including tearing the seat belt loop off of the driver's side seat. If I was wearing my seat belt at the time, I might have lost my arm, if not more. Without the seat belt on, the force pushed me away from the impact and the "can opener".

Three months later, I was run off the road by another drunk coming from the opposite direction, in my lane. After the near miss (near hit?) I kept heading the direction I was going. About 30 seconds later, I realized how PISSED I was and turned around. I caught up to them, which wasn't too hard as he/she went off the road and into, and breaking, a rather thick tree. I drove another mile or two to the local police station; reported it; then met an officer at the scene. The driver had fled by that time.
    I never found out what happened after that, don't really care. I did my part.

With the sheer number of idiots (addled by technology, drugs, alcohol, etc.) on the roads these days, you run the risk in any vehicle of something possibly happening.

Comes down to: risk dying while doing what you enjoy, or risk dying while NOT doing what you enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    Its scarry...This was the third time in a month I had some kid in my lane.
    rob,
    haven't had the chance to ride with you yet, but sure as heck lookin forward to it. i've only been on the spyder for a couple of months now, but motorcycles for near 40 years. i'm a firm believer that you are equipped with the knowledge of knowing what you are doing at all times and that's why it was a close one and not an accident. i have had a few of them in my days, and continue to ride knowing that i can outsmart the best of them, most of the time. (those stupid kids with their cell phones)
    george carlin summed it up best when he said that "we are all a cassette in the tape deck of life. some of us are short playing. some of us are long playing. and some of us have to ge t re-wound!" don't let that stop you, get back on the horse and ride for you could have an accident walking across the street someday when you should have been out riding the spyder!
    see you at sita!
    (chuck) aka spydaman60

Spyder Garage

Strange reading this post since the exact same thing happened to me. I was driving a motorhome this past Saturday from Oshkosh to Fort Myers. There was a ratty car in the left lane towing a really ratty Harley on a trailer, driver was on cell phone going about 10 under the speed limit. I was passing him in center lane when he decided to change lanes without looking. He came within an inch of hitting me even though I was able to duck into right lane quickly as he did it. It was unnerving, but I had another thousand miles to go and just rationalized it away. I was driving a 32 x 12 foot large white box--kinda hard to miss so don't think it's just the Spyder. Instead of letting it scare me, I patted myself on the back for reacting quickly and leaving myself an out (the right lane)--I try my best not to pass between two vehicles.
    It's not the Spyder...it could just as easily have happened to you in a car or even a truck. The Spyder is a LOT more visible than a 2 wheeler. Don't give up riding but drive like everyone else is a potential danger, IOW, defensively. For 20 plus years part of my job was as a defensive driving instructor (trucking). During checkrides the drivers would have to verbalize everything they saw that could potentially impact them. Initially they miss quite a lot but as we point out missed conflicts they recognize the need to pay attention at all times.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default preventative measures

get a loud pipe, get a loud horn, give everyone around you that look that says, i'm going to beat you to death with your own arm. assume that anyone near you WILL DO THE WRONG THING.
    ( no wonder people don't talk to me anymore) p.s. don't ever smile.( unless you're out in the boonies where nobody will see it)
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Strange reading this post since the exact same thing happened to me. I was driving a motorhome this past Saturday from Oshkosh to Fort Myers. There was a ratty car in the left lane towing a really ratty Harley on a trailer, driver was on cell phone going about 10 under the speed limit. I was passing him in center lane when he decided to change lanes without looking. He came within an inch of hitting me even though I was able to duck into right lane quickly as he did it. It was unnerving, but I had another thousand miles to go and just rationalized it away. I was driving a 32 x 12 foot large white box--kinda hard to miss so don't think it's just the Spyder. Instead of letting it scare me, I patted myself on the back for reacting quickly and leaving myself an out (the right lane)--I try my best not to pass between two vehicles.
    It's not the Spyder...it could just as easily have happened to you in a car or even a truck. The Spyder is a LOT more visible than a 2 wheeler. Don't give up riding but drive like everyone else is a potential danger, IOW, defensively. For 20 plus years part of my job was as a defensive driving instructor (trucking). During checkrides the drivers would have to verbalize everything they saw that could potentially impact them. Initially they miss quite a lot but as we point out missed conflicts they recognize the need to pay attention at all times.
    I dorve truck for about 8 yrs. I stopped when a elderly driver with 3 passengers crossed into my lane and hit me head on..I did all i could do to avoid the collission, but in the end all 4 pepole in the van died. I only has a few bruses, but the emotional scares lasted along time. I lived because i was In a 50,000lb(loaded) truck. I went from a driving job to a factory job to avoid the roads.... This is why I'm having a tuff time with this...My mind says truck saved my life, but realisticly I know if I was in a smaller car I wouldnt be here...If i get hit head on ridin the spyder, I most likely wont be typin on here any more, in a car...maybe.....
    Last edited by mowin; 07-30-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Only you can decide about riding , And all the advice on how to ride safe you probably know already.
    The only advice i can give is , If your going to ride scared that's NOT the way to go.
    Just my opinion.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Only you can decide about riding , And all the advice on how to ride safe you probably know already.
    The only advice i can give is , If your going to ride scared that's NOT the way to go.
    Just my opinion.

I've only been ryding for about a year now, and have had close calls of people pulling out in front of me, turning without looking, texting, cell phone and all of the above mentioned before. I have found that I'm even more aware of my surroundings when I'm driving the car. DH had a Vulcan, and he is an excellent rider, but when a car almost hit him and put him into oncoming traffic (I was behind him on the Spyder), that was the last straw. We now each have our own Spyder, and you have to have eyes not only in the back of your head, but sides as well.

Only you can decide if you still want to ryde. So sorry you've had such a scare. God bless!

Spyder Garage

It actually happened to me 6 weeks ago on my Goldwing.We were riding in the Rt66 Rally in Oklahoma.It was about 6pm 4 bikes were traveling together.I was number 3.We were going through a set of lights when they changed to amber.I was watching the cars on the right when all of a sudden the one car took off straight at me.In that split 2nd I knew we were going to collide.I managed to turn the bike left to hit the car on my side.On collision the side of my front wheel hit the car .I let the bike drop to the left between my legs landing on my left leg.I was not hurt at all.A cop saw the whole incident.There was my Goldwing lying on its side half under this decrepid car.
    Turns out she was on the phone,she sounded like she was on drugs.She told the cop she didnt see me at all.I remember thinking dang my ride is over.We picked the bike up and apart from some busted chrome a few scratches a sheared screw holding some other chrome on the side of the wheel it all seemed ok.The cop wanted to know wether I wanted to take all details.I said no just get her out of my sight. I then rode to the hotel 8 miles away.Next day went to Amarillo Honda dealer checked everything out.The bike was fine.
    We then rode a further 4000 miles to complete our trip
    2 years ago riding again in Colorado a deer ran out and collided with the bike.By luck I managed to brake and came to a stop.In both instances I was incredibly lucky and did not go down.That collision 6 weeks ago finalized my decision to go with the Can Am on completion of our ride.We completed the ride on the 3rd July in Michigan and On the 6th July I traded the Wing for the RT.
    Mowin I did not feel the shock you seemed to feel.I would quite happily ride on a 2 wheeler now.I had 88000 miles on the Wing.The only time I felt like you describe was when I watched a guy crash in front of me after hitting a drive shaft that had fallen off the bottom of a pickup.He went over and over totaled his bike but got lucky and was bruised.I got back on my bike shaken but made myself ride.

Spyder Garage

I'm trying to move from my 2 wheeler to a Spyder based on a lady running a stop sign and cutting me off. I went down and slide some 70 feet. Ended up with two huge legs and a fractured neck. I love to ride but it hasn't felt the same since the accident. I test drove a Spyder and the joy I used to feel was there. It could be a false sense of security With the three wheels but I do believe three is safer than two. I'm no saving up to get a Spyder. I know knuckleheads are out there on the road but you have to live for you and don't let it sway you. I got back on the horse and hope you do as well. Pray on it.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Jump back on the horse ASAP. Ride defensively........

You could die on the couch watching TV too.. eventually.. from BOREDOM.

Life is out there in the world and on the roads.....

RIDE!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

It's going to be a tough decision, I'm sure. If you don't get back on soon, you never will. Only you can assess how much risk you are willing to take.

If you do get back on, and keep the Spyder, there are some things you can do to reduce the risk and get the other driver's attention quicker. First, avoid the crowded freeways if you can. That's not practical in big cities, where the intersections are worse than the freeways, but it is in more suburban areas. Leave 15 minutes earlier if necessary. Ride defensively, too. Try not to put yourself in a position, or stay in a position, where you can be crushed or pushed into a ditch or guardrail. Just because everyone else is bumper-to-bumper, you need not be. Leave plenty of room ahead, and anticipate dumb acts by other drivers.

Hi-vis clothing has been proven to reduce incidents. Wear a hi-vis jacket, helmet, and gloves if you can. The movement of the upper body, combined with the hi-vis clothing, attracts attention. Once they know you are there, they are less likely to become distracted and drift into your lane. I'm not an advocate of loud pipes...they are mostly heard after you are past, and with a stereo cranked up, and the windows closed, most drivers won't hear them anyway. I also don't believe in using the horn, but in this case a louder horn like a Stebel Nautilus may have helped.

Good luck with your decision. The road is a scary place, and is even more so when you are exposed. Riding in the wind is not for everyone. There is no shame in walking away if you are not comfortable with it. Riding is supposed to be a pleasurable experience, not something to be endured or braved.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I was coming home from Durango, close to home after a couple of thousand miles with no incidents. A few miles from home, on a very tight and wooded curve, I met an 18 wheeler more than halfway over into my lane as I was making the left hand curve. Got off on the shoulder, the guys eyes were wide as saucers. He knew he had taken that curve much too fast. I just shrugged it off and went on. I lived through a bad wreck back in the late 70's. Didn't walk for almost a year. But stuff happens. This is a dangerous hobby, no doubt. Regardless of two or three wheels.

I just try to make sure I am right with the Lord and my immediate family each day. I figure if the good Lord wants me, he will get me in plane, train, or automobile. Or even a Monsterfied RT!