Spyder Garage

Default Checking Oil- What am I doing wrong?

Hey everybody. I just had my 600 mile service a few days ago & today, at lunch, my check engine light came on. I was not able to get a code, so I turned it off & later that day, rode home and everything seemed fine. I decided to check my oil, thinking that might have caused the problem, and for the second time, the oil level was all the way to the top of the hash marks on the back, what seems to be about 1/2-1 quart too full. The bike was at operating temp. and I checked it just like the owners manual stated. You could see the oil level almost all the way to the top of the tank, even after it had quit foaming. I removed quite a bit of oil to get it down to the full mark. Am I doing something wrong, or could it have been overfilled twice? I appreciate the help.

Pikester
    2023 F3-T , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

A lot of folks mention oil "foaming" and this I have never noticed on my bike.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Pikester: sounds like the dealer may have put too much in.
    At the next startup, let it warm up thoroughly at least till temp gage gets way the heck up, and then test the oil level again. Let us know what it shows.

PS: hope you drew out the excess in a clean container; save it for future top offs.

Spyder Garage

Uflyer,

Will do! I did remove it (using a syringe) and put in a clean container in case I need it to top it off. I'll let you know the outcome. Could something like that cause the check engine light to come on?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pikester View Post
    Uflyer,

Will do! I did remove it (using a syringe) and put in a clean container in case I need it to top it off. I'll let you know the outcome. Could something like that cause the check engine light to come on?
    Overfill is common in dry sump systems due to inconsistent stick readings caused by oil leaking back into the case. Yes, you could get a light if it was overfilled a lot. Excess oil can work its way into the air intake and foul the plugs.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Flybuddy,

I sure hope that didn't happen! Bike seems to be running fine, so hopefully the plugs are fine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Pikester: sounds like the dealer may have put too much in.
    At the next startup, let it warm up thoroughly at least till temp gage gets way the heck up, and then test the oil level again. Let us know what it shows.

PS: hope you drew out the excess in a clean container; save it for future top offs.
    ulflyer,

Well, I checked the oil this morning after everything was up to temp. & it was right on the full mark. Everything seems to be back to normal. Thanks for your help!

Ride safe,
    Pikester

Spyder Garage

Pike.....these critters are weird machines. Mine was right on the button a couple days ago. Just came in from a short ride and checked it and it was about 1/4 inch over the full mark. Using one of the red rubber suction bulbs you get at auto stores, I drew out two full bulbs full to get it back to normal.
    Prob next time it will show a bit low. Rather have it low, like half down, than too full.