Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by saint999 View Post
    Sliplage is the best way I can describe it because the tension doesn't remain consistent through out the RPM Range. Don't get me wrong I love riding the spyder for the ride it gives, I just feel based on my experiences with other bikes touring or not they could do a better job in manufacturing. I think all of them have the issue and my dealer and BRP pretty much backed that up, I just think it bothers some more then others. If you keep your RPMs high you don't feel it as much but let it lug at all on the highway I feel it in the range I stated earlier. Then there is the whole fuel issues with this bike. Just poor QC in my opinion and will probably drop a lot of money into fixing QC issues from the heat, front suspension, fuel etc..you shouldn't HAVE to do these mods on a brand new 28K bike.
    What fuel issues??

After the 2010 models, BRP redesigned the front suspension to make it better. I put 300 miles on a totally stock RT in Cuba and in handled great... but since I had Elka's on before and liked them... I did them again on my RT.

The 'heat issues' only occur when people are placing their feet where they don't belong. If you want to modify the Spyder to allow forward 'highway' foot positions, you'll need to modify it to vent the heat somewhere besides your right foot.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    What fuel issues??

After the 2010 models, BRP redesigned the front suspension to make it better. I put 300 miles on a totally stock RT in Cuba and in handled great... but since I had Elka's on before and liked them... I did them again on my RT.

The 'heat issues' only occur when people are placing their feet where they don't belong. If you want to modify the Spyder to allow forward 'highway' foot positions, you'll need to modify it to vent the heat somewhere besides your right foot.

Not true.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Not true.

X2

Spyder Garage

Not true.

Really? Where's the other heat problem happening on RT's then? I'm unfamiliar with heat issues other than the 'forward peg' one.. which can be fixed with the block-off plate from Harvey.

Other than the 'forward peg' area, I've found the RT to be cooler on the feet and legs than my GS was.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Really? Where's the other heat problem happening on RT's then? I'm unfamiliar with heat issues other than the 'forward peg' one.. which can be fixed with the block-off plate from Harvey.

Other than the 'forward peg' area, I've found the RT to be cooler on the feet and legs than my GS was.
    Previous answers to similar question.

Posted by Jerbear

The upper block off plate is intended for those who use highway pegs. If you don't use highway pegs or place your feet out on the water deflectors you're barking up a tree that doesn't have a possum in it. So to speak

Also, it's worth your time to take a look at what part of the country, and the average temperatures there, when someone says something works for them. We are not all equal when it comes to how hot it is where we do the bulk of our riding. JMO & lesson learned.

Originally Posted by flybuddy
    Same experience. If you just use the lower block off plate and do not use highway pegs, you will eliminate the right hot foot issue.

Poste by Jerbear

Somtimes.

I'm 6' 4" with a 36 inch inseam and my right knee gets hot already from the upper vent. If I were to block off the lower vent I would only move the problem to a new area(more heat on my knee). Much like those who block things off and end up with hot air coming up between the saddle and the glove box.

You said it best when you said (pretty sure it was you?) "it's like chasing a moving target."

One thing I've learned here is there are a lot of variables to consider when it comes to why something works for one and not for the other.

Then there is this post which is chocked full of opinions and data.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...r-Solution-for
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 08-11-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Previous answers to similar question.

Posted by Jerbear

The upper block off plate is intended for those who use highway pegs. If you don't use highway pegs or place your feet out on the water deflectors you're barking up a tree that doesn't have a possum in it. So to speak

Also, it's worth your time to take a look at what part of the country, and the average temperatures there, when someone says something works for them. We are not all equal when it comes to how hot it is where we do the bulk of our riding. JMO & lesson learned.

Originally Posted by flybuddy
    Same experience. If you just use the lower block off plate and do not use highway pegs, you will eliminate the right hot foot issue.

Poste by Jerbear

Somtimes.

I'm 6' 4" with a 36 inch inseam and my right knee gets hot already from the upper vent. If I were to block off the lower vent I would only move the problem to a new area(more heat on my knee). Much like those who block things off and end up with hot air coming up between the saddle and the glove box.

You said it best when you said (pretty sure it was you?) "it's like chasing a moving target."

One thing I've learned here is there are a lot of variables to consider when it comes to why something works for one and not for the other.

Then there is this post which is chocked full of opinions and data.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...r-Solution-for
    Interesting. Seems to be hit or miss like the vibrations.

I don't wear boots... just regular old shoes. On the way back from durango I rode in 110 degree heat and did have quite a bit of hot foot on my GS. After trashing my GS and continuing the rest of the trip on my RT, I noticed the heat was basically gone on the RT... when using the stock pegs. When moving to the highway peg position it was HOT!

Since I've been home, I added: Upper block-off plate, removed splash pans, installed cat converter shield. I did have a passenger mention a lot of heat on their right foot.... which is now gone after the cat shield was installed.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree x2

Spyder Garage

What fuel issues??

Not True again on the heat issue. No mods on my bike at all yet. Just 95+ weather in traffice. As for fuel, BRP responds to smell so bad I have to leave my garage doors open for 3 hours after riding that I just shouldn't fill the tank up. There are still solenoid and carbon canister issues with the fuel design.