Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What is the time frame it took dealer

What is the time frame it took your dealer to start service on your spyder? Just trying to see what the average is on this.
    I brought my spyder in on July 5th and told it would be 7 to 10 days before they would get on it.
    Well called them today (7-27), they said they will get on it this week coming. Then who knows how long it will take once they start on it. It has a oil leak somewhere the whole bottom is wet and the rear fender and trunk are spotted with drops. I also told them to do some other things. But I done forgot what they were.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited, Lees-sure Excell camper, Aluma MCTXL Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you sure that it is an oil leak and not a broken rear shock? My shock broke and the entire rear of the Spyder was covered in an oily mess. Also, I think that is ridiculous to take that long to look at your Spyder.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Dealers that sit on your for a week or more before they even start work on it are a bunch of . They deserve to be reported to BRP and should also get free advertising on our website. Let's work to put these out of business by taking both the sales and service of the to other dealers that know about customer service and willing to take care of the customer. .

Would you accept that if you had to take your car into the dealer for some work?

Rant completed: but it sure felt good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Our dealer even on their worst days only take 1-2 days to look at our Spyder -- last time we had a break down they had it on the lift an hour after receiving it off the tow truck. We are very lucky to have a great dealer : Freedom Cycle in Concord NH.

I would not be waiting 7 to 10 just to have a problem evaluated with no actual parts being ordered or the Spyder being fixed. I think because we have two dealerships that sell Spyders within 6 miles of one another and they compete for business they know to value their customers and do the service in a timely manner.

Sorry your having issues.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, TricLED fender lights, TricLed Underglow kit (green), Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Spyder Garage

After 2 years of putting up with that c**p from my dealer (3 miles up the road), I fired them 2 weeks ago. They lied to me 3 times, telling me they'd get to it in 3 days. When I stopped in to see where they were with it, I was told it would be 10 more days before they could get to it. I told them to bring it out, I was taking it home. Went up the road 25 miles past that shop to their sister shop. Dropped off on Friday, they called on Wednesday to come pick it up (and they are closed on Sunday and Monday). That's the service I was expecting from Mancuso Powersports South on I-45 in La Marque Texas where I bought my Spyder, but never got it. Last year, it was in the shop for 6 weeks. Two weeks before they even looked at it.
    Sorry, in case you missed it, it was Mancuso Powersports South, I-45 South in La Marque Texas. Service is lousy.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've taken mine in for routine maintenance work only. I have over 6k on my RS. I take it in early and just wait at the dealership until work is complete.

Spyder Garage

It's ridiculous for a dealer to take so long with a problem.These are not cheap and after sales service is of utmost importance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't EVER drop a bike off for service!
    Get there at the start of their business day, hand them the keys and sit right by the service desk until it's done.
    They'll find a way to get you and your Spyder out of there before too much of the day passes...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Personally I've never had service issue with any of my bikes. Those that have needed parts, the parts have been in stock. But I have always called first to check if they have any appointments. I just had my 3k service done and was done same day I called, they had an open slot. I always ask if I can wait for it as well, let's them know I'm in a hurry.

In fairness to your dealer and playing devils advocate, the summer is their busiest time, staff on vacation etc. However he did give you a time frame of 7-10 days on the 5th of July, I would have a very polite talk with them.

"Hey guys I know you're busy but I have a couple of events to go to, can you squeeze it in just to see if you need to order any parts."

If you get no response then its time to look for another dealer, if you have that option. I'm lucky I have 3 around here all within an hour.
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default It only takes a second

I work in a shop, old skool repair. When someone brings in a bike we look at it with them and let them know right then how long if possible, but parts are ordered that afternoon or the next day. Granted there might be more projects ahead of them, but "It only takes a second to evaluate the issue with them"..OBTW, we're looking into getting a bit more involved in Spyder Tech'n. Since my wife rydes the hair off her's, It'll be cheaper on me in the longrun. I do have an issue with the BRP/Dealer method of "I'll let you know if this is covered or not. "Irrelavent, it's broke bygod, fix it". And as for Mancuso's in general, their service is down the drain, "nary-a-1" of them TTI grads have a clue. They couldn't change a bit in a multi use screwdriver without 1st dianosing it on the laptop.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    .....They couldn't change a bit in a multi use screwdriver without 1st dianosing it on the laptop.
    Classic! That describes a lot of modern techs to a T. Throw a leaky spark plug wire at them and they grab their blanky and bottle and head to the corner. You can teach a lot of mechanics to do the tech, but not as many techs to be mechanics. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

My dealer is pretty much immediate on the trouble shoot of the Spyder. He orders the parts (if they are not in stock) and then when they come in they are installed. I think where the dealers run into trouble is the fact that most of them want to treat a Spyder like an ATV, or a Snowmobile or a Boat.

Before I bought mine after talking with the dealership owner he said............first thing I did when the Spyder came out was realize I needed a dedicated waiting area where owners could wait for their Spyder when routine maintenance was done. All you do is call and book it in and we will complete all regular maintenence while you wait. He mentioned how a Spyder can't be "dropped off" easily and also how it is not easy to trailer it in and leave it like an ATV or Boat etc. He spoke about how people rely on the Spyder like a car to get to work, drop off a kid for swim lessons etc. Atv's , Boats and Snowmobiles are a much different beast as they do tend to be "recreational vehicles" that are largely used on the weekend by most owners and as such Fridays are busy "exit" days for his shop. With regards to parts he has a large inventory of common parts and said..."I am not opposed to taking a part off my demo machine if I have to" to get you back and up running as soon as possible. BRP gets hassled a lot about the "call before you replace" method of service but when I picked mine up (brand new) I had an 02 error code and the shop replaced the sensor at their own discretion after using the "Budds" system to rule out the other obvious causes. He said the Budds makes it great as it is an itemized list of 'what to try first' and after you rule it out it tells you what the next cause may be. Keep flowing through it until you hit the actual culprit.

I think dealers use the BRP technical assistance as a crutch by saying "we cant fix anything until BRP tells us what it is". If you have a dealer wih a technician worth anything they should not have to call BRP to actually troubleshoot for them but just to confirm the diagnosis and authorize the shipment of a part if the dealer doesn't have one in stock?

I would gamble a guess that someone like Len at Cowtown fixes and troubleshoots most if not all of his Spyder repairs by themselves. Because they have experience and have technicians that know what they are doing. The dealers that have their hands held by BRP are the ones that do not know what the heck they are doing or need BRP to figure it out for them?

Good Luck..........I feel very lucky to have the dealer and the service department I do!
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Well this place sells the ATV's and jet ski's. There main work is for boats. But their Spyder tech was the only one out of 3 shops that found and fixed a problem I had from day 1. I think that I may be getting pushed aside for the folks that purchased from them. I know this is true in the RV world.

Spyder Garage

Default Getting work done

I make an appointment for routine stuff and then wait. If they tell me to bring it in on a certain day then I expect them to work on it while I wait.....so far so good. If I just take it in for whatever reason unexpected then I don't expect them to drop everything else and work on mine .If it is going to need a part then I have them order it and call me when it gets there . It goes both ways .

Spyder Garage

When I make my appointment, I pick it up the same day. (every time).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Default Got it back

Quote Originally Posted by Dar View Post
    What is the time frame it took your dealer to start service on your spyder? Just trying to see what the average is on this.
    I brought my spyder in on July 5th and told it would be 7 to 10 days before they would get on it.
    Well called them today (7-27), they said they will get on it this week coming. Then who knows how long it will take once they start on it. It has a oil leak somewhere the whole bottom is wet and the rear fender and trunk are spotted with drops. I also told them to do some other things. But I done forgot what they were.
    Got the RT back 8-11-12 (they called 8-10-12). Oil leak was from clutch cover not sealing. They said that it was a bad cast at the sealing surface area. Covered under warranty. But not the coolant they drained, which was around $45 to $55. They said BRP does not warrant fluids at this point, ok whatever. They checked purge valve said it was good. but after the 40 mile ride home the vapors were a flowing as usual. Had them change oil. They said the have not gotten the new quick side covers in yet. Got new muffler under warranty since pain was falling off the old one. Noticed that when I got home that the right side where the foot pegs attaches was very hot could not even put your hand there for a second. Don't know if it has always been like this or not? Anyone else ever notice this? Also I had to wipe the oil from the bottom of frame where it had been leaking and blowing. I guess that is
    not part of warranty since that is a fluid. Also I have some after market lights mounted on the a arms. But they no longer are working, I checked the fuse, it was good. I guess I need to remove tupperware and track this down. I think time to try a different dealer. O did I say I got it back

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So far only dealer work has been the 600 mile checkup. Made an appointment (first one of the day); had it there when they opened; waited for it; rode it home; no issues. My dealer, All Out Cycles in Cheasapeake VA, is top notch.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pellcitypete View Post
    I have to dissagree with you because he had another dealer 25 miles down the road who didn't takt long to fix it

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Same here, first appointment of the day, there one hour before they opened so bike was cool, two and half hours after they opened i was on my way. CochranPowersports in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. ( i did make a prior appointment )

Joe

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Oil changes while I wait,and I left it at dealer for a rear tire and wheel bearing replacement and it was done in 2 days...They have great service at Holzhauer in So. Il....I had it at Cowtown also for a 12,000 mile service and it was done in 2 days also...I'm very lucky to have two great dealers in my area..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I call my dealer, get the appointment and them drop the spyder off. All I tell them is to call me when its done. Really never a delay in getting it back unless there is a back-order for parts. I have had them take parts of other units just to get me back on the road quicker. Who could ask for anything more? I guess thats why they are one of the top 50 service departments in the USA. They even have a waiting room inside with chairs and a sofa.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by scudrunner View Post
    After 2 years of putting up with that c**p from my dealer (3 miles up the road), I fired them 2 weeks ago. They lied to me 3 times, telling me they'd get to it in 3 days. When I stopped in to see where they were with it, I was told it would be 10 more days before they could get to it. I told them to bring it out, I was taking it home. Went up the road 25 miles past that shop to their sister shop. Dropped off on Friday, they called on Wednesday to come pick it up (and they are closed on Sunday and Monday). That's the service I was expecting from Mancuso Powersports South on I-45 in La Marque Texas where I bought my Spyder, but never got it. Last year, it was in the shop for 6 weeks. Two weeks before they even looked at it.
    Sorry, in case you missed it, it was Mancuso Powersports South, I-45 South in La Marque Texas. Service is lousy.
    Where did you end up taking it? I had the same problem with the same dealer for the 600 mile service. It took them 10 working days to do it. I do want to say though that I was able to negotiate a good deal from them when I bought my 2011 RSS SE5 back in October of '11.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The Bakerman View Post
    Where did you end up taking it? I had the same problem with the same dealer for the 600 mile service. It took them 10 working days to do it. I do want to say though that I was able to negotiate a good deal from them when I bought my 2011 RSS SE5 back in October of '11.
    It is a long haul but I take mine to Wild West Honda in Katy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dar View Post
    Got the RT back 8-11-12 (they called 8-10-12). Oil leak was from clutch cover not sealing. They said that it was a bad cast at the sealing surface area. Covered under warranty. But not the coolant they drained, which was around $45 to $55. They said BRP does not warrant fluids at this point, ok whatever. They checked purge valve said it was good. but after the 40 mile ride home the vapors were a flowing as usual. Had them change oil. They said the have not gotten the new quick side covers in yet. Got new muffler under warranty since pain was falling off the old one. Noticed that when I got home that the right side where the foot pegs attaches was very hot could not even put your hand there for a second. Don't know if it has always been like this or not? Anyone else ever notice this? Also I had to wipe the oil from the bottom of frame where it had been leaking and blowing. I guess that is
    not part of warranty since that is a fluid. Also I have some after market lights mounted on the a arms. But they no longer are working, I checked the fuse, it was good. I guess I need to remove tupperware and track this down. I think time to try a different dealer. O did I say I got it back

Check to see if they engaged the lower side panel and black panels together proprerly. It seems like every time the dealer works on my bike I get the hot leg on the way home which means removing panels when I get home and reinstalling them correctly.

Spyder Garage

I fired one dealer (Route 1 Motorsports in Grant, FL) because of similar issues. They seemed more interested in the boats and atv's they sell and it just wasn't worth the time with them any more. The other dealers I've dealt with, Ted's Motorcycle World in IL (where I bought the RT), Daytona Fun Machines in Daytona Beach and Central Florida Power Sports in Kissimmee, FL have all been great. I'm currently using CFPS and am extremely happy with them.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC