Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Driving on military base

I have a son who will be graduating basic training with the Air Force in September, his base is Lackland AFB in Texas. What are the requirements for the Spyder on base? I have read that there needs to be a motorcycle safety card along with drivers license, insurance, and registration. Any help will be appreciated.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCSMOKE View Post
    I have a son who will be graduating basic training with the Air Force in September, his base is Lackland AFB in Texas. What are the requirements for the Spyder on base? I have read that there needs to be a motorcycle safety card along with drivers license, insurance, and registration. Any help will be appreciated.
    Is it your son who will be ryding the Spyder on base or you? There are different requirements for active military and civilians who will be coming on base. (per Bruiser)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruisersbaby View Post
    Is it your son who will be ryding the Spyder on base or you? There are different requirements for active military and civilians who will be coming on base. (per Bruiser)
    If you are referring to a civilian riding on a military installation, you have to have a valid driver's license, insurance, registration. Long sleeves are required, as are full finger gloves, long pants, boots over the ankle, helmet, eye protection, and a reflective vest during hours of darkness.

If active military, it will be all of the above, and required motorcycle safety course.

(Per Bruiser again - retired AF)

Spyder Garage

If you are referring to a civilian riding on a military installation, you have to have a valid driver's license, insurance, registration. Long sleeves are required, as are full finger gloves, long pants, boots over the ankle, helmet, eye protection, and a reflective vest during hours of darkness.

If active military, it will be all of the above, and required motorcycle safety course.

(Per Bruiser again - retired AF)
    same it is here for the Naval Air Station.. Though I understand now that retirees can register a vehicle without the MSF card.

Be Safe
    AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

acinpcola - guess I should have said "civilians and retirees" - sorry Chief!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The last I knew, the requirements were (mandatory): helmet, full finger gloves, shoes/boots that cover the ankle, long sleeve shirt/jacket (contrasting color i.e. different from bike), long pants and possibly a reflective vest. If active military proof of safety course completetion (MSF card). Each base could be more restrictive on requirements. I was just on Tyndall and wore my frog togg rain jacket for my long sleeved requirement without any problems. Proof of insurance and valid drivers license are also required. Dale
    Last edited by d.o.spyder-rts; 07-27-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So I'd have to think that if the Missus and I were to take a ride down to West Point; those would be the requiirements?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Probably so Bob. This is a DoD requirement for any military installation. The base/post commander can add to the regulation but he can't take away from it. An example is here at Seymour Johnson AFB, you must wear a high visability reflective vest any time you ride on base day or night. Passengers are included. If you're in uniform and have a backpack on you must also have a reflective belt (disco belt) diagonally across the backpack. Most bases only require this at night. We carry a long sleeve t shirt and mil spec vest in the rear storage. We stop just before the gate and suit up.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.spyder-rts View Post
    The last I knew, the requirements were (mandatory): helmet, full finger gloves, shoes/boots that cover the ankle, long sleeve shirt/jacket (contrasting color i.e. different from bike), long pants and possibly a reflective vest. If active military proof of safety course completetion (MSF card). Each base could be more restrictive on requirements. I was just on Tyndall and wore my frog togg rain jacket for my long sleeved requirement without any problems. Proof of insurance and valid drivers license are also required. Dale

Yup, that's what Bruiser said in the above post. We both carry long-sleeve shirts with us, stop at the back gate, put on the shirt, reflective vest, and gloves so we're 'legal' to ride on base. On these 90 and 100 degree days, it's not comfortable at all, and when we get back off base, all the 'required' clothing gets stuffed back in the bike.

Didn't know Bruiser was posting at the same time!!!
    Last edited by bruisersbaby; 07-27-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So I'd have to think that if the Missus and I were to take a ride down to West Point; those would be the requiirements?
    Bob,

I was at West Point a couple of years ago, in my car, the gf and I enjoyed it very much. And, yes what Bruiser Baby said is correct. In fact, now that you mention it, that would be worth a trip.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reflective vests are required in daylight hours on some posts. Nellis AFB requires the vests or a jacket with contrasting colors at all times. I'm still not sure on what they consider contrasting so I wear a high viz vest. Bob, I would contact West Point and find out if they have the same rules or not. When we were at Spyderfest we went to Ft. Leonardwood and they do not have the vest requirement etc. In fact there anyone can get on base if you are going to the museum.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

acinpcola - guess I should have said "civilians and retirees" - sorry Chief!!
    No worries buriserbaby, I was just stating what is happening here in ole Pcola.

Fair Winds
    AC
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Reflective vests are required in daylight hours on some posts. Nellis AFB requires the vests or a jacket with contrasting colors at all times. I'm still not sure on what they consider contrasting so I wear a high viz vest. Bob, I would contact West Point and find out if they have the same rules or not. When we were at Spyderfest we went to Ft. Leonardwood and they do not have the vest requirement etc. In fact there anyone can get on base if you are going to the museum.
    You're right that it all depends on the base/post. Neither Cherry Point Naval Air Station or Camp LeJeune require reflective vests in the daytime, yet Seymour Johnson, the Air Force base we frequent (Bruiser retired out of there), require reflective vests 24/7. They also require that active duty military, if they're wearing a backpack, have a reflective belt on the pack.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, I'm retired Army but have not been on base for at least 8 years and never on a bike.
    Corbin saddle
    IPS
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    cell phone interface kit
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

Get it from the horse's mouth...call Lackland AFB. Better to get it right than be stranded for the graduation.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

The base commander sets the criteria... Though they are mostly similar from base to base. Have your son check.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default Driving on military base

Congratulations to your son.

For information on base requirements, I recommend calling Lackland AFB - Security at 210-671-1110 and select option 5.

Glad to help.

Go Air Force!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Force PAO View Post
    Congratulations to your son.

For information on base requirements, I recommend calling Lackland AFB - Security at 210-671-1110 and select option 5.

Glad to help.

Go Air Force!!
    Thank you much for the help
    Corbin saddle
    IPS
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    cell phone interface kit
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i just currently went to work as a contractor for the navy here in ft-worth and i'm having one hell of headache trying to get my bike on base they requrie a msf and they also offer a safety course on base but only to active milatary,the guy that teaches this course gave me a number to guy in town called him told him what i have he said sorry can't accomadate you we don't have instructors with trikes called the state of texas to find a msf for trikes no luck there for my area anyway.i have a friend thats in the airforce here and he's trying to see if he can help me he told me that the af has there own safety training for motorcycles going to have to see if he can get me in that or if he can just get the darn cert just so i can go on base man been riding for yrs have mc endorsement what else does a guy need ain't like i don't know what i'm doing.youd think being a d.v. prior navy guy they would waive this requriement.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I was at West Point a couple of years ago, in my car, the gf and I enjoyed it very much. And, yes what Bruiser Baby said is correct. In fact, now that you mention it, that would be worth a trip.
    I used to shoot at the Point in an indoor Pistol League back in the early nineties and I learned something about traffic laws and how it's enforced...
    1. A 25 mph spped limit means 25; NOT 26 mph!
    2. Wear your seatbelt; if they tell you to put it on;try arguing and they'll rack the slide of their firearm for you
    3. If you'd like to really kill an eveningl; drive there in a vehicle with an expired inspection sticker.

One of my teammates got caught on the way out with an expired tag...
    Took him out of the car
    towed it into Town
    His Wife had to come get him (90 minute drive)

They don't fool around at all!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

This is worth about two cents, so thought I'd put it in. I ride in to work most days. Clothing requirements are the same as already described, but don't need a sticker to get on post. ID/Driver's license gets me on and off. To get a sticker, I'd have to do the safety course, which they only offer to active duty, but will accept certificates from other courses. Couple Harley dealerships have them around here and Kansas City Kansas Community College. Happy Saturday, thanks for your time and congrats to your son.
    Pat
    Burp(Gone, but not forgotten) - Viper Red 2012 RT-S SE5
    B-2 - Intense Red Pearl 2016 RT-S SE6
    GP - Phoenix Orange 2019 F3 LTD

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I got no issues my pass to get on base last April/May. I was told that I didn't needed the requierements for motorcycles since I have 3 wheels. I go in uniform from time to time and have no issues and wear my uniform/helmet/gloves. Hubby goes in and out without any issues either. On long trips we have stayed at other bases from different branches and have no issues as long as I have the sticker on the windshield and my ID. It just takes me a little time since the MP at the gate think the spyder is so cool and chit chat.

If you are going without a pass that might be different.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    Unless the Commander of said base requires it the Motorcycle Safety Course it is NOT required to get a SPYDER on base. Plug in OPNAVEINST5100.12H into Google and on page 14 you will find the following:

13. Motorcycle Safety Training

a. Initial Training

(1) The purpose of the motorcycle safety training program is to provide motorcycle operators with safe riding skills, knowledge, and techniques.

(2) All military and civilian personnel motorcycle operators must comply with all host nation or state licensing requirements.

(3) All military personnel who operate a motorcycle on/off base, and all DoD civilian personnel who operate a motorcycle on base are required to complete a COMNAVSAFECEN- approved motorcycle rider safety course prior to operating these vehicles. This training will be provided to the above individuals at no cost and they may not be charged leave to attend the training.

(4) Operators of motorcycles with attached sidecars and three-wheeled motorcycles are excluded from COMNAVSAFECEN required motorcycle training. Refer operators to state sponsored courses where available.

This is a Navy/Marine nationwide instruction.

I went thru this 4 years ago in Kings Bay,Ga. The Instructors of the course on base pointed this out to me. He stated that the people at the front gate that do the base access don't read they just see motorcycle and make a production out of it to get a pass. But with instruction in hand they were shown the error of there ways and several phone calls later I was given the pass to get on base. This took about 2 hours to train them and the other SPYDERS that followed on base got there pass with no problem.
    It should be noted that each branch has it's own requirements, but the DoD requirement is just that, it applies to all branches. The Air Force does not use stickers anymore. But when I go to Cherry Point MCAS I have to get a base pass even though I have a retired ID. And talking about the folks on the gate not knowing what is required, we went through that recently with the reflective vest requirement. We went in the back gate and were waved through without the vest. When we went through the front gate 45 minutes later we were stopped and told we had to have a vest, when we questioned it they actually called for backup and closed one lane of the gate. 30 minutes later and several different versions of the reg, we were let go, with vests on. The FP cop wouldn't even give me my ID back until I had the vest on. We called the base commander and the FP commander and within a very short time we received an apology and all gate personnel were educated. Oh, one more thing, retirees are not required to have the MSF class to ride on base (USAF).

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Called the security boys at Lackland and as long as I have the motorcycle endorsement on the license I am good to go! Excellent help as always folks!
    Corbin saddle
    IPS
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    cell phone interface kit
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

When I was teaching on Fort Richardson (now joint base Elemendorf/Richardson) I had to have military ID, (drivers license and insurance pre-checked for the military ID), helmet, and flourescent vest. Now, it appears they let them wear a flourescent strap instead of the full vest.

I was on the base teaching, a year ago.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red