Spyder Garage

Default PARKING BRAKE POSITION

I've been told that the sporatic "brake-pedal" message and the red blinking light has nothing to do with making an adjustment. The day I brought HOT RED ( HR ) home, the top side of the rubber pad on the parking brake was touching the little 3/8" flat inward turned bottom edge of the Tupperware skirt - fender- or whatever it is. It was not hanging on it, just touching it. Visualise the letter "T" with the top horizontal line of the "T" being the Tupperware and the vertical line of the "T" being the brake pedal touching the horizontal top of the letter. For over 1K miles this "touching" was not an issue, no messages scrolling across the gauge. Now, from time to time the brain controlling the messages decides that the parking brake is engaged. Murphey Brown came up with the idea that the vibration of the pedal against the Tupperware is enough to trigger the alarms/messages. She is most likely onto something. Although the message appears at start up a lot, and again could be that vibration. Yesterday during a 90 miles trip, running at 4K to 6K rpms using 3rd or 4th gears (50-65 mph), the messages/ warnings came and went.

My questions: Is there anyone with a parking brake pedal that touches the bottom side of the Tupperware? Does it cause the brain to panic and give messages? Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get the parking brake lowered without having it in the engaged position?

If I could, I would remove the pedal and get a wedge block to prevent HR from rolling no matter how much she beeps at me. Would not do this, but the frustration I am enduring over this wretched issue is not a happy experience for me.

And, BTW, I was only being silly, when I said in the "Car Wash and Dip Stick" thread that I put a garbage bag over the seat and ran HR through the car wash. I've read some of y'all's Tom Foolery on here, so thought I'd try a litte shock and awe of my own! I'm a little (+ -) goofy, but not insane....................yet

Thank you in advance for any advice. I am going to try to post a reduced size pic. Perhaps it is too small. I realise that the black rubber and the black TW AND the reflections showing on the TW make it difficult to really see what I have tried to explain. I would be happy to email the larger size photo to anyone who wants to see it.

Sandy
    Last edited by Sunshyn; 07-26-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelliing correction & inserting missing words

Spyder Garage

Default parking brake touching TW

That does not look right to me. I purchased the parking brake extension pad to move it further outside the TW so that it was easier for me to engage. I don't remember that it ever touched the TW. Try taking off the rubber portion of the brake pedal and then go for a ride. See if you still get the message on the dash. If not your assumption is correct. Just two bolts to remove the pad from underneath the pedal. Good luck

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyn View Post
    I've been told that the sporatic "brake-pedal" message and the red blinking light has nothing to do with making an adjustment. The day I brought HOT RED ( HR ) home, the top side of the rubber pad on the parking brake was touching the little 3/8" flat inward turned bottom edge of the Tupperware skirt - fender- or whatever it is. It was not hanging on it, just touching it. Visualise the letter "T" with the top horizontal line of the "T" being the Tupperware and the vertical line of the "T" being the brake pedal touching the horizontal top of the letter. For over 1K miles this "touching" was not an issue, no messages scrolling across the gauge. Now, from time to time the brain controlling the messages decides that the parking brake is engaged. Murphey Brown came up with the idea that the vibration of the pedal against the Tupperware is enough to trigger the alarms/messages. She is most likely onto something. Although the message appears at start up a lot, and again could be that vibration. Yesterday during a 90 miles trip, running at 4K to 6K rpms using 3rd or 4th gears (50-65 mph), the messages/ warnings came and went.

My questions: Is there anyone with a parking brake pedal that touches the bottom side of the Tupperware? Does it cause the brain to panic and give messages? Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get the parking brake lowered without having it in the engaged position?

If I could, I would remove the pedal and get a wedge block to prevent HR from rolling no matter how much she beeps at me. Would not do this, but the frustration I am enduring over this wretched issue is not a happy experience for me.

And, BTW, I was only being silly, when I said in the "Car Wash and Dip Stick" thread that I put a garbage bag over the seat and ran HR through the car wash. I've read some of y'all's Tom Foolery on here, so thought I'd try a litte shock and awe of my own! I'm a little (+ -) goofy, but not insane....................yet

Thank you in advance for any advice. I am going to try to post a reduced size pic. Perhaps it is too small. I realise that the black rubber and the black TW AND the reflections showing on the TW make it difficult to really see what I have tried to explain. I would be happy to email the larger size photo to anyone who wants to see it.

Sandy

You 100% have a problem there.

That pedel should be nowhere near that tupperware !!!!!!! What is happening is with the dash lights is easy to explain. There is a micro switch on the back of that pedel that when closed sends a signal to the computer telling it the parking brake is not engaged. That micro switch is not closed so thats why you are getting those messeges on the dash.

This is the position your pedel should be in when the parking brake is off ( not engaged ). Something is broke under there or the last person that messed with your Spyders pedel screwed it up bigtime. If you have no skills to tackle this ,find some close to you that can on this forum or see your dealer.
    Last edited by arntufun; 07-26-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2009 GS SE5 and my parking brake does not touch the panel nor does it look like yours....
    parking brake.JPG
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

Default Pedal

I will go take the rubber part off and go for a ryde. My SE5 has running boards and I wonder if that has anything to do with this situation. I can see no evidence of breakage, warping, or a broken part. I wish I could post nice big pics like yours. I have a photoshop type program and what you see in my post was what I came up with. I will go take a pic of the entire parking brake area in hopes of shedding some more light on this. Be back shortly. If you would PM your email address to me, I can send larger files that way and not have to deal with the resizing. Thank you for a new light on the parking brake issue. I will say, though, that the brake does disengage, even though it is touching the skirt. The metal parts come completely together and if I lean over, pull on the pedal a little, the warnings go away. I'm not moving it much, b/c the skirt prevents movement. It is just the nudge it needs to stop the warnings. They return very quickly once on the road. However, yesterday at high rpms they were on then off then back on.

Sandy
    [

QUOTE=arntufun;490962]You 100% have a problem there. That peddel should be nowhere near that tupperware !!!!!!! What is happing is there is a micro switch on that pedel that when closed sends a signal to the computer telling it the parking brake is not engaged. That micro switch is not closed so thats why you are getting those messeges on the dash.

This is the position your pedel should be in when the parking brake is off ( not engaged ). Something is boke underthere or the last person that messed with your Spyders pedel screwed it up bigtime.
    [/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Default p break

my parking brake pedal is nowhere near any body panels. it is fairly horizontal in the off position. i don't think se's are any different. if i'm wrong i'm sure a thousand people will let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    it was fun while it lasted.

arntufun

You don't have to resize it. When we doudle click on your photo thumbnail we can see it just fine.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    my parking brake pedal is nowhere near any body panels. it is fairly horizontal in the off position. i don't think se's are any different. if i'm wrong i'm sure a thousand people will let me know.

You not wrong Coz.
    Last edited by arntufun; 07-26-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default speculation

lets speculate endlessly on the nature of this problem, until we've filled four or five pages
    i think the stop on her pedal is bent or broken, by some Dang floorboard installer dude. those pics are great randy.
    Last edited by coz; 07-26-2012 at 04:42 PM.

arntufun

This is what the back of of your parking brake lever looks like when taken apart and you will see the mirco switch I'm refering to on the top left of each picture.

No, I did not just take this off to show her the micro switch, that would be silly. I had it off for my teardown 8 months ago and took pictures so I would remember how it went back together.

Last edited by arntufun; 07-26-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    lets speculate endlessly on the nature of this problem, until we've filled four or five pages
    i think the stop on her pedal is bent or broken, by some Dang floorboard installer dude. those pics are great randy.
    Coz, I love the Avatar picture.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default thanks

i just try to keep it fresh, and entertaining.

Spyder Garage

Default Mod gone wrong

Looks like a mod gone wrong to me. A picture showing more of the side of the Spyder may be helpful.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default PEDAL RESOLUTION MAYBE

I think the previous owner modified the parking brake pedal and having seen him and his wife, I think I understand why. He had the steel under the rubber tread lengthened. So, I removed that extension that allowed the rubber part to touch the skirt, and then removed the rubber tread off of that piece. I installed it onto the remaining part of the parking brake pedal. It is not accessible from Spyder seat, but can be set and released from beside the Spyder. Hopped onboard and took her for romp. No warning messages.

Thank you all for your very helpful input. I know it is hard to see, but it appears to be right alongside the running board, even though it is not. For now, the important issues have been resolved. I may have a shorter extension made at some point.
    Sandy

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE ISSUE

SANDY, I would just shave a little rubber off the brake a small amount at a time untill this stopped completely........and with that floor board there how do you even make the Brake work ??????......Mike

Spyder Garage

The parking brake worked with the previous owners approximately 6" long parking brake extension/modification for a while, but then the warnings began. Having removed that modification and reinstalling the rubber piece, it works now. The floor board did not interfere with the pedal when it was modified and I think the extension modifiation was done so the pedal and the floor board did not interfere with each other. Who knows for sure. Now, the pedal is actually lower than the floor board, but I can operate it and that is all that matters at this time.

Mike, I appreciate your help and advise during this search for resolution along with all the other people who have been so generous with their time and efforts in my behalf.

Sandy
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    SANDY, I would just shave a little rubber off the brake a small amount at a time untill this stopped completely........and with that floor board there how do you even make the Brake work ??????......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default This is scarrrrry

Hey Mike..I made the same recommendation to Sandy...shave a little rubber off!!!! Oh good heavens does that mean I am getting a mechanical/fix it brain...NOT.....If that happens than I won't be able to post my many (read unlimited) HELP ?'s here on the world's greatest forum made up of the worldest greatest and most helpful people I have ever had the privilege of interacting with!!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5