Spyder Garage

Default Gas Guage Problem.

anyone else have a problem with gas guare not being accurate? I got home a couple of days ago and when I parked it in the garage I had a 1/4 tank. I get on the bike today and showing 0 gas and gas light on. Stopped at gas station and only took 4 gallons. Is tank really 6 gal?Had 106 miles on the odometer. Feel like I'm driving a sportster..sluggo

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The gas gauge on the RT is not very accurrate. You can disconnect the analog gas and temp gauges and you will then have digital readouts on your display. This is much more accurrate. You can find the thread here that explains how to disconnect them it is very easy I did it myself.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Yesterday, akspyderlady had me disconnect the auxillary temp and gas gauge from her new RT. We are now running the built in digital gauges.

I find the digital gas gauge to be much more accurate. No needle bouncing and wondering exactly how much gas do I have in the tank any more. The low gas light indicator goes on at two bars left and it takes four to five gallons to refill the tank--depending on how long I am willing to drive with the light on. One bar left takes 5 plus gallons to fill the tank. This is what is happening on my RT. I will see how it goes on akspyderlady's after the weekend rides.

My usual rant: BRP put some other gauges in the panel to spiff up the deluxe models. Use the digital gas and temperature gauges. How about voltage or oil pressure gauges instead?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The gas gauge on the RT is not very accurrate. You can disconnect the analog gas and temp gauges and you will then have digital readouts on your display. This is much more accurrate. You can find the thread here that explains how to disconnect them it is very easy I did it myself.
    anyone have that link please?

Spyder Garage

Default Not Linear

You need to keep in mind they due to the shape of the tank, the gauge is not linear. Starting with an empty tank, adding one gallon at a time, here is where the gauge registers. Hope this may be of some help..

Doc-7-25-12 4-14 PM-page-1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
    anyone have that link please?
    Here you go, this should help. Read post #7.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Gage-Question
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Spyder Garage

What you saw is pretty common in hot weather. After an extended ride, the gas tank is very hot and the fuel is expanded. It contracts overnight when the tank and fuel cool, and the gauge goes down. After riding a while, it will go up again. All liquids expand and contract with temperature changes. In a small container, the effect is more visible and dramatic. Don't blame the gas gauge for this one.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

THe gauges are not very accurate. The digital gas is but after a ride if you are at one bar in the morning it will have the low light and show no bars.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

another thing I find that changes the amount of gas the spyder will take at the station is how far in you put the filler tube at the pump? If you put it all the way in like you would would a car, then you will actually fill about a gallon less than if you put it in only far enough to be past the "leaded gas preventer" thingy. I now always fill the spyder with the filler tube only in far enough to pass that metal flap. I also noticed that the analog gage now fills to WAY past the full line in so doing.
    MODS 2013 - Ultimate, Remote / LED Halos, Pete's Dash kits , Elka's!
    2011 RT A&C-SM5 - Orbital Blue (mine)
    Xenon Lights, Polk speakers (4), 5-LED lamps, fog lights, Sypderpops grills, OGB grips, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights. Seal FLRBDS, Two Brothers Muffler, ZUMO 665 w XM, Gloryders, HMT Brake.
    2012 RT-LTD SE5 -Lava (hers)
    MODS: Spyderpops chrome grills, TIPS and CHANNELZ lights, HMT Brake, Seal FLRBDS, Gloryders, OGB Grips

Spyder Garage

I am not impressed by the analog or digital gauges so I just set the trip odometer and fill up at 120 miles then I don't need to worry about the gas gauges.. I had mine replaced twice on my 2010 and it didn't help... Now my 2012 gauge is swinging up and down like a monkey.. so the gauge is for entertainment purposes only on my ride.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default Analog Gauge Fail

Good morning,

I removed them last night on the advise of several other members and went to all digital. (Thanks to everyone that responded in my other thread, you know who you are.)

So far with 75 miles on the 'new' system, it just feels more accurate. Call it psychological, or the placebo effect, pick your cliche,...it works for me. The fuel gauge doesn't bounce around, the temp gauge never went above 5 bars in stop in and go traffic, and I have piece of mind.

Those things will never get re installed while I'm the owner...and that's all I have to say about that.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Spyder Garage

My digital readout is in accurate as well. Recently it started dropping one bar within a few miles of a fill up. I checked the tank visually and the tank is full, just typical Spyder issue. It is not as bad at the lower end, the light comes one when I have 1.5 gals left +/-

Spyder Garage

When I got a fill up yesterday, I had the gas light on, one bar (digital) remaining, 165 miles on the trip reader and it took 5.2 gal. to fill her up.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by Dizneyman View Post
    You need to keep in mind they due to the shape of the tank, the gauge is not linear. Starting with an empty tank, adding one gallon at a time, here is where the gauge registers. Hope this may be of some help..

SPOT ON!!! a volt gauge is a good replacment, and the digital fuel gauge is WAY WAY better!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I am not impressed by the analog or digital gauges so I just set the trip odometer and fill up at 120 miles then I don't need to worry about the gas gauges.. I had mine replaced twice on my 2010 and it didn't help... Now my 2012 gauge is swinging up and down like a monkey.. so the gauge is for entertainment purposes only on my ride.
    While I find the digital one to be pretty good.... I do the same thing... probably a leftover from the old days of no gas gauges... you knew how many miles you could go off a tank.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dizneyman View Post

Those markings are pretty close but with my analog fuel gauge. When my fuel gauge reaches the bottom of the widest part of empty. I have about 1 1/2 gallons left in the tank.

Good job for taking the time to mark off the fuel gauge.
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)