Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default XM in "glove box"

I had my XM unit mounted in my trunk but wanted a way to change channels without getting off the RT. I had an old XM unit and took the insert from the glovebox(that I didn't use anyway), and made a cut out to fit the radio holder. I had to drill a small hole in the side of the glovebox as well as in the rear trunk to run wires, but they should not be an issue.

I took the power from behind the power plug that is mounted to my dashboard(it shuts off with the engine). The dash comes off easily. By removing the grill, you can feed the wires through the opening where the hinge is into the glove box. I decided to leave the XM antenna in the rear trunk and ran a long audio cable to the rear as well as the antenna cable. I did not remove and panels. I loosened them and ran the wire along side the RT. The wires run up by the rear seat back and feed through the hinge opening in the trunk-no holes needed.

I am sure others can do a better(neater) job than I did, but it works. I change channels when stopped, but do not have to dismount, and have the buttons programmed to my favorites(well most are my wife's(go figure)). It took me about three hours, but a person who is more "skilled" than I am could do it in half of that I imagine.

Of course over about 50 or so you can not hear the speakers, but that is true with the installed radio as well.

Incidentally, using one one the dash screw mounting screws to attach a Ram mount is easy, and allows you to "swing" a phone or GPS devise under the dash where it gets some shade. I simply replaced the screw with a longer stainless screw and added washers.

IMG_0177.jpgIMG_0176.jpgIMG_0178.jpgIMG_0180.jpg

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

As I have never had any sign of moisture in the glove box, this may prove to be a very handy place to mount the XM. I know you can raise the lid while riding, so you may be able to change stations while riding, if so inclined.

It appears you have the liner in the box, so that may manage the heat issue sufficiently. Good job!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I still would still worry about heat build up either inside the glove box or on the back end of the xm module ... damaging the xm module

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This mod shows some real promise...
    I mounted my garage door opener in the same place. so far; heat has not been an issue!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I considered the heat

I used the liner because it gave me a good place to mount the unit and also "may" keep it a bit cooler

The unit is old so if it gets heat damage i would not be out much. Even the new units are inexpensive since they want your monthly fees. Sort of like cheap printers with expensive ink cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This mod shows some real promise...
    I mounted my garage door opener in the same place. so far; heat has not been an issue!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I actually put a piece of exhaust wrap tape on the back of my opener to try and keep it safe; all that did was keep it from working... blocked the signals!

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Thanks for posting this Bob, I was thinking it was a great idea & was gonna try it

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I actually put a piece of exhaust wrap tape on the back of my opener to try and keep it safe; all that did was keep it from working... blocked the signals!
    But now that I know the result, I'll be checking into other "options"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used that steel tape; maybe just a couple of layers of vinyl tape would offer up a little bit of help...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I'll let you know

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    But now that I know the result, I'll be checking into other "options"
    The tape blocked the signal, but I am curious what would have happened without the tape. I had my garage door opener in my glovebox as well and it was fine

My feeling is it will be fine. I'll let you know after a few extended rides in the heat.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    The tape blocked the signal, but I am curious what would have happened without the tape. I had my garage door opener in my glovebox as well and it was fine

My feeling is it will be fine. I'll let you know after a few extended rides in the heat.
    Our garage door opening sits in the liner as well. Even with the 107-deg temps, no ill effects.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have had my garage door opener in the glove box with NO liner (2010 RT) for two years and no issues at all. If it didn't stop working in this years heat it should be good going forward.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So to recap: "Heat in the glovebox; No Sweat!!"

Sorry...