Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New battery, throwing codes and will not start...

Two days ago my dealer installed my new battery in my 2008 GS, ran about 99 miles of different errands and today it will not start and every time I hit the starter button it throws a dps and a vss code...clicks but no turn over. Ideas?, help!

Spyder Garage

Look for loose battery connections or a loose rear frame ground (negative jumper terminal under seat). Also check that your fuses and relays are properly seated. If everything is tight, suspect a bad main relay. You can swap with the fan relay temporarily to troubleshoot it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Look for loose battery connections or a loose rear frame ground (negative jumper terminal under seat). Also check that your fuses and relays are properly seated. If everything is tight, suspect a bad main relay. You can swap with the fan relay temporarily to troubleshoot it.
    Agree. loose cable or blown fuse would be my first assumption.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    Agree. loose cable or blown fuse would be my first assumption.
    As above check the leads and did your shop put it on charg first before fitting it I did mine and put it on a 2amp charge first took 5 hours if the batteay drops to low in volts then the dps wount work

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am leaning toward an improperly prepped battery from the shop. They add the liquid usually just when the battery is needed and it gets a quick charge on it.
    Its a slow, long charging period.

Spyder Garage

it sounds like the battery was not fully charged before installation, and the errand rides were not enough to keep it charged.

john

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Is it the oem battery from BRP or a knock-off from a Battery WareHouse. 1st question to ask is, brand new in a box, or new off the shelf. Some of these guys open the batteries when they get them acid them charge them and throw them on the shelf. Not knowing your dealers history about service, I would check wiring connections and make sure no wires were left off by accident or incompitence..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just my two cents. If I, or my dealer, installs a battery, I put it on a charge of 2 amps for 24 hours to bring it up to 100%. Few if any dealers do this. After checking fuses, ect, put it on a Battery Tender for 24 hours and see what happens. New batteries are seldom bad out of the box, just not charged properly before they are installed.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by srarndt View Post
    Two days ago my dealer installed my new battery in my 2008 GS, ran about 99 miles of different errands and today it will not start and every time I hit the starter button it throws a dps and a vss code...clicks but no turn over. Ideas?, help!
    Take it back to the dealer and let him put a new battery (fully charged) in for free.

Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE BATTERY PICTURED

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I am leaning toward an improperly prepped battery from the shop. They add the liquid usually just when the battery is needed and it gets a quick charge on it.
    Its a slow, long charging period.

Are you using a battery like the one pictured in the video ?????.....I don't think you should be using that type....I'm almost positive ours have to be sealed.......Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Are you using a battery like the one pictured in the video ?????.....I don't think you should be using that type....I'm almost positive ours have to be sealed.......Mike
    Sealed one, but the video was to show that the batteries need charging real well after installation.