Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder Limited-New or Used?

Hi. My name is Todd. New to the forum. About to pull the trigger on a Lava Bronze Limited Edition Spyder. Curious if a used bike is a good avenue or should I just go ahead and buy new? My concern with used is the service. Would appreciate any input you guys could give me.

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2010 used RT A&C SE5 and paid $17K+ the usual costs. It has 16K miles, and I feel that I got a very good deal. Aside from the usual issue of not having everything perfectly new (which also means I sweat the natural wear a lot less), it hasn't been an issue for me, and the differences in model year aren't very significant in the long run.

The hard part is finding the used RT, but for me the 8K savings over the new sticker price on a 2012 was well worth it.

On the other hand I found my bike on CL at another dealer, and the cost was 21K, and I would pay the additional 4K just because it would be nice to be the first owner and have the small upgrades.

That's my story - I think a lot of the question has to do with how easily you can write the check (if you have to finance it, I'd absolutely purchase pre-owned if you can) and how much enjoyment you'll get from driving it off the lot new.

Spyder Garage

When buying used, it is a good idea to check out the service history of the you are buying. There are some good deals out there but there are also some 's that have had a dubious mechanical history.

A transferrable warranty is good also, if buying used. If its a from someone on SL--you can go back and look at their previous posts--that can also tell you a lot about the .

New vs. used: on a 2012 LT you are not going to save a lot buying used. I would go with the new and full warranty.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

What ever you are comfortable with is the way to go. I'm not a big fan of used, but that's just me .Make sure it has been serviced and all recalls/updates have been completed. Definitely get some type of warranty because these things ( like everything ) cost a small fortune to repair. What ever you get just ride the heck out off it and enjoy .
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hiya Todd!
    Welcome to the Party!
    New versus used??? I'm all about the warranty! Having the peace of mind by knowing that you've got a new vehicle warranty standing at the ready is priceless to me...
    But it DOES cost more...
    Either way though; you're gonna have a BALL!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

This is down to personal choice and more importantly to ones personal budget.

Buying second hand can save you some money and leave you with some left over to ride/nights out and to freckle.

I personally when ever posible try to buy new, you lose money the minute you drive anything new of the forcort. I tend to baby my rides, keep them in showroom condition if I can, I would always have in the back of my mind how was it treated prior. Was it thrashed, rode like they stoe it, did they miss a couple of services.

However, I think buying used is just as valid, we all need some one to sell our old rides too, so we can buy new ones. I just sold a special limited edtion Vespa to guy in Rohde Island, I have high moral values, so I made sure that every thing was A1 and he had a get out if he changed his mind.

If you can find the right spyder used and more importantly find a seller who you get a good sense from then go for it. If you have the budget for new and want that peace of mind then buy new.

Either way I'm sure you will have a great time

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

I was lucky enough to find a used RT S, SE5 with under 1100 miles, and less than 6 mos on the clock. I saved a ton, but did buy the full 5yr warranty. It's run like a swiss watch, I didn't have to deal with a dealer i "dislike", and nothing in the newer bikes (with the possible exception of the RED version) has interested me.

I'd always go with a good used over new, on any vehicle…. JMHO
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

I'd certainly entertain various options. Keeping a good warranty on it is key. I personally wouldn't buy a 2010 RT as they made significant changes in 2011 and 12 models.

If time is not a real concern and you can wait.. once the 2013 models come out (official announcement is Sept. 23) -- the 2012 models should drop in price......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good point, Fly! Pretty soon there'll be a whole extra year's worth of leftover models to pick through!

Spyder Garage

Default Just got mine

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Hi. My name is Todd. New to the forum. About to pull the trigger on a Lava Bronze Limited Edition Spyder. Curious if a used bike is a good avenue or should I just go ahead and buy new? My concern with used is the service. Would appreciate any input you guys could give me.

I just got my 2012 Lava Bronze Limited Edition on Thursday. I have almost 200 miles and I am loving it. New or used, you can not go wrong!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Spyder family. Love the Lava unit as well. We went with the White RT LTD and are very happy. Did you get the black or tan seat?

Spyder Garage

Cool 2012 LIMITED

hello, got mine 2 weeks ago and have about 600 m AND really lovein it. been a harley riders for many moons and now a spyder rider for many moons to come! pull the trigger and get it YOU will not regrett it. as far as new or used I agree with most of the people here-its all up to you
    to get the best deal out there.with new you have that peace of mind and geat warranty with the best interrest if financing. USED your taking a chance that the prev owners riding and maint. habit / neglect....etc..BTW the tan limited is really hard to get a descent deal for they are TOP of the line by BRP. I payed 28k for mine with hardly no room for haggling on price!
    ******cheers n cheese to all of yall ****
    IMG_0253.jpg

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I personally wouldn't buy a 2010 RT as they made significant changes in 2011 and 12 models.
    Not really! Most of the changes were updates, which in my case were updated to the newer parts under warranty. The shocks are all that remain, but I'm hopeful. It's near impossible to tell the difference between 2010 & 2011, except for the taller windshield.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

same with the 2012's, I did change the shocks on mine to Works Shocks - it's perfect now. I've ridden an '11 and a '12,& like my '10 as well or better.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    Not really! Most of the changes were updates, which in my case were updated to the newer parts under warranty. The shocks are all that remain, but I'm hopeful. It's near impossible to tell the difference between 2010 & 2011, except for the taller windshield.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    It's my understanding there were significant changes from 2010 to 2011. Front suspension, engine vibration bars, shocks, etc..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Default Seat

Quote Originally Posted by J. Mark View Post
    Welcome to the Spyder family. Love the Lava unit as well. We went with the White RT LTD and are very happy. Did you get the black or tan seat?
    Got the tan seat, but visited and ordered a Corbin seat in distressed tan leather yesterday. Wife really wants the arm rests.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It's my understanding there were significant changes from 2010 to 2011. Front suspension, engine vibration bars, shocks, etc..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Shocks yes, but my 2010/2011 manual doesn't say anything different or show any part number differences for anything else related to suspension. Don't want to hijack this thread, but what do the engine vibration bars look like? What part #s? I haven't felt any unusual vibrations, but will have the bike apart, so I can add them, if they are missing.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Went the new route. Went with St. Tammany Marine here in Louisiana. They are the only Platinum Certified Service Center in Louisiana according to Can Am. They also gave the best deal. I am not much of a back and forth kind of guy. I asked two other dealers to give me their best price and I could tell they shot me a price and expected me to want to wheel and deal but that is just not me. St. Tammany was upfront and shot back a great offer and they even waived the prep and set up charge. I ended up getting 'every' Can Am option I think one could possibly put on a Spyder. I know that there is one option I will put on that Can Am doesn't make and that is the back rest. From what I have read and seen it appears Utopia makes a great one. Going sign everything tomorrow and then it will be a waiting game for accessories to come in and get installed. I have also been in talks with Pete about a custom dash skin. Thanks for all the comments and advice that you guys gave me.

Spyder Garage

Congrats. Be sure to post pics.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Moosemanj View Post
    I just got my 2012 Lava Bronze Limited Edition on Thursday. I have almost 200 miles and I am loving it. New or used, you can not go wrong!
    I totally agree. #1 Lava Bronze (w/tan saddle) is the ONLY way to go. #2 New or used, you can't go wrong.

I bought my 2012 Lava Bronze RT Limited on April 28th and am closing in on 6,000 miles. Runs like a friggin' top - - it has NONE of the problems I had with my 2010 RT-S.

Glad to see that you took the plunge - - you'll never regret it!!!
    Last edited by Slybird; 07-25-2012 at 11:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

If the money is right I always buy used. That was not an option in July of 2007 so my Spyder is (was) new.

Many times you can get some pricey upgrades on a used Spyder for little or nothing. As long as at least some of them are usable to you that's a plus. You can take the ones you don't want off and make some change on eBay (or here for that matter).

Most Spyder owners take very good care of their ride (with a few exceptions). The Rotax is a great engine and a test ride can tell you a lot.

But as stated by others, it's a personal thing. The fact that you are asking leads me to believe that a used Spyder may be the way to go for you.

Either way, it's a great way to FLY!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Sting, it was the lava bronze color that finally sold me, loving it. You should get it just in time to run it in coming upto Lake Placid for SITA

Harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

I was looking at new bikes and wanted a RT-S SE5. I started searching all of craigslist and found my 2011 RT SE5 Ltd. in California. It had only 252 miles on it, had an extended 5 year warranty, two new Can Am Caliber jackets and two helmets and I paid $25,000. I invested $395 to have it shipped to Oregon and now, 3 months later, I have about 5,000 trouble free miles on it! Used purchases are fine but do you homework before signing on the dotted line!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

----------------

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And now the fun can REALLY get started!