Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

Wonder if Harley Rider still comes around to check up on us..someone should let him know there are now single wheel motorcycles putting him in the same situation...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I kind of doubt it...
    He just wanted to get things riled up; and he did!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Harley ?

Quote Originally Posted by harley rider View Post
    First of all I am not trying to put anyone down by any means... However I just don’t get it. Why a 3 wheeler "unless handicapped"? I understand the open road and all, believe me i do. But I just don’t get why you would spend the money on these bikes or a trike for that matter unless you are physically in need of one. Don’t get me wrong, when i am old and can’t hold 2 wheels up any more ill have a trike too. But i am seeing so many people that have these things for their first motorcycle "if you want to call it a bike" and i don’t understand, why? Is it that you just can’t grasp the concept of 2 wheels? If so cool, still want to enjoy the open road, cool. But what is it? Oh and before someone gets their panties in knots Yes i have ridden one, and I’ll take my road king any day of the week over one of these things... IMO you shouldn't even need a motorcycle endorsement on your lic. for this... I have a very open mind and honestly would like some corrective "respectful" feedback on this. I am NOT, by any means trying to be disrespectful to any of you all. Just wanted to know so bad that I created this account just to ask this question.
    I can understand why someone might ask that ? I have ridden 2 wheels most of my life(66) I'm 6'2" and 220 , and have had physical jobs (truck driving , construction , and worked out in the boxing ring till I was almost 40. I know about being able to hold up a Harley and have never had the pleasure of trying to pick one up by myself.
    My nephew has a Harley classic he is larger and stronger than I (at my age) when he made a slight mistake not to long ago and dumped it in his garage with a full tank of fuel Getting a blown disk from trying to get it off the ground and not being able to work for 3 months may change anyone's mind about Spyders vs 2 wheeler I never have to because if my spyder is on its side I have a lot bigger problem to think about.
    I love my . besides if I need to move a little faster than a classic I can open up and leave the area. (Never challenge a spyder to a race
    Rock on

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ah ha....

BRP marketing troll....

Bill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yelhelp View Post
    I can understand why someone might ask that ? I have ridden 2 wheels most of my life(66) I'm 6'2" and 220 , and have had physical jobs (truck driving , construction , and worked out in the boxing ring till I was almost 40. I know about being able to hold up a Harley and have never had the pleasure of trying to pick one up by myself.
    My nephew has a Harley classic he is larger and stronger than I (at my age) when he made a slight mistake not to long ago and dumped it in his garage with a full tank of fuel Getting a blown disk from trying to get it off the ground and not being able to work for 3 months may change anyone's mind about Spyders vs 2 wheeler I never have to because if my spyder is on its side I have a lot bigger problem to think about.
    I love my . besides if I need to move a little faster than a classic I can open up and leave the area. (Never challenge a spyder to a race
    Rock on
    I ride a Spyder because I have the freedom to do so. We should enjoy the freedom while we can.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This guy isn't coming back to look for any answers...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see

I am not handicapped but I ride a spyder. "Why?" Asked the Harley rider. I replied, "Because I can and I choose to". Plus it's fun
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

I've never risen a motorcycle in my 50 years of wandering around this earth, but I've ridden 3 and 4 wheeled ATVs since I was about 18 years old, so the Can Am just fits me.

And being in a large city w the worse drivers in America, a 2 wheeled cycle just didnt make sense for me.

I wondered as I start riding how other motorcycle riders will salute or not salute me.

Hopefully not too many one finger salutes.

Spyder Garage

Why do all bigoted questions start with 'I mean this will all respect?'

Ride one. You'll get it or you won't.
    2009 Spyder RS (non operational)
    2022 Spyder RT Limited
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

I'm 58 years old and own a 2005 Harley Electra glide Ultra and a 2012 RTS-SE5. I've probably logged somewhere between 250,000 and 300,000 miles on 2 wheels in my 50 or so years or riding, most of those miles were on a Harley. I still ride both machines now and am equally capable to ride both. Since I've owned the spyder I guess I ride that about 80% verses the Harley at 20% of my riding time, inpart cause the spyder is new, but mostly because it's fun. As far as reactions and comments go from other riders, I get far more waves than non waves from other riders, but believe me, not everyone waves at me while on my Harley either. I got positive and negative comments about the spyder, most of the negative comments come from what I call the 'wanna-be bikers" on their 5 year old Harley with 3000 miles logged on the meter. The reaction I receive from experienced riders, this being the kid on his crotch-rocket who loves to ride to the grey haired old Harley dude are mostly questions. Many walk away without making any comment, but few experienced riders make a negative comment about anyone's ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    Why do all bigoted questions start with 'I mean this will all respect?'

Ride one. You'll get it or you won't.
    It's just a way of disguising that they are here to stir the pot, which is my opinion only. I'll leave it at that b/c I don't want to give anymore air time to the OP.
    Last edited by wyliec; 08-18-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

Well Im a new Spyder owner and new too this site which seems very informative and interesting. I find my self checking it right away if sit down at the PC. Didnt realize right away that this was an old thread, havent read right thru it but will. What I did read kinda my respones were already there. Im 43 never rode two wheels on the street and dirt bikes just a few times barely enough to mention. Sure have had snowmobiles whole life rode quads lots had a DS 650 Bombardier Quad for ahwhile Spyder reminded me of it right away. My summer toy has always been my 1971 340 DUSTER sucks but its seasonal up here. In the last 10 too 15 years have thought about a 2 wheeler, was looking at a HONDA Magna prob 10 years back and not long ago my buddy bought a HARLEY Fat Bob was thinking hard about one of those very nice Bike. Have a different friend other side of CANADA that owns a HARLEY and first thing he said too me was What he doesnt like about those is guys think they are bikers when they get them, Told him with lilltle attitude I can go Buy A Shirley Davidson tommorow but with the lack of experience on 2 wheels why would I at this point in my life. Im not in a wheel chair, I do have a conditon that can affect my balance at times so a SPYDER is the key, gets me out in the wind with buds. And have a few no SPYDERS just me. But I know on a 5 day trip we did a month ago they sure liked my trunk up front. But for me its the machine too own, I dont think Im a Biker and the 7 other bikes that went on our trip last month none of them think they are bikers, there was VICTORY,VTX HONDA,YAMAHA ROAD STAR Think its called, rest were HARLEYS And then me was awesome and I was there with them... Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CANUCK SPYDER; 08-18-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernSpyder View Post
    I'm not a Spyder owner yet but I too am in that demographic you're referring to. I'm 34 and in excellent physical condition but I have never owned a 2-wheeler. As a father with 2 young children the Spyder is my only consideration due to the safety versus 2-wheelers. In addition, I've seen motorcycles all my life and only ever had a passing interest but the first time I saw a Spyder I was instantly smitten.
    Ditto

Spyder Garage

No I was NOT trying to stir the POT. lol, I was honestly wondering and wanted to ask the question. Like I said I completely understand the open road. I also am in an MC and one of my brothers is handicapped due to a drunk BI%#H ran him over while he was on a 2 wheeler. He now rides a trike well it’s a 2 wheeler with a trike kit so it actually has 3 wheels in the back. He has a steel rod from his hip to his foot and a rod from his femur to shin "no right knee" he is on dialysis 3 days a week "no liver, or kidney function" and oxygen 24hrs a day. He bought his ultra classic and then put the trike kit on with the hopes of some day being back on 2 wheels. He has now "as of last I checked" 196K on his odometer within 6 years. Hell I ride, but not that much I can’t even put 196K on a cage in 6 years. So I get it... anyway I will always wave at you all and be kind "that’s just me" even you all on 3 wheels it really is US against the cages. So keep the wind in your hair and the rubber on the road.
    Oh and I am not one of the members you all were wondering my name is JD. I ride with the US Military Vets MC out of DFW Texas, so you are more than welcome to look us up on the internet and come ride with us "especially if you’re a vet" we also have chapters everywhere so if you’re interested in an MC and you’re a qualified vet look us up, By the way my road name is HE-LO as in helicopters, if you’re out in DFW at a UC or COC&I meeting stop and say hello. GOD Bless and GOD Speed.

JD.... I think I may be one of the few SpyderLovers members who didn't respond to your initial post. My wife and I have ridden for over 40 years on Harleys, Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas and Can Ams. We are both more comfortable on the Spyders than anything we have ridden before. Some of that is probably age driven but there is also comfort in knowing the Spyders are more visible, safer to operate, possess more storage space and have an element of pleasure not found it too many other machines. We also can accelerate faster and corner better than many two wheeled bikes and that that is pretty neat too.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Have rode all types of two wheelers in the past- mostly sport bikes (primarily Ninja's ). Been in the hospital twice for bike wrecks. So twenty years ago the wife pressured me to get off the bike, two years ago I saw the Spyder and slowly turned the wife around to get back on the bike and ride with me. She loves it and rides with me a lot. This is after having us and her sister nurse have a sport biker die in front of us while giving him CPR after hitting the side of a canyon wall at high speed. Have 21k on the Spyder in the last two years, I really enjoy the combination of being out in the open air combined with the safety of the ride. We are all different in how we want our enjoyment in all phases of our life and we should not judge anyone on those pleasures as long as they don't directly impact others in a negative way.
    Last edited by blambert; 08-18-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” Edward Burke

Spyder Garage

I'm surprised I never posted sumptin on this thread. Just now seein it. I guess it was when I was all "banged up" from my acceeeeeeedent a year and a half ago. Oh well.

Ain't much I can add or say to what's already been said.

Chris

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PLEASE LET THIS DIE

Over 14 k hits & 218 responses ....WHAT ARE WE ...A BUNCH OF IDIOTS...LET THIS THING ..........." DIE " please.........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-18-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yeah same here, Harley riders have been very kind to me... others not so much
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandy View Post
    We have been treated better and with more respect by HD riders than anyone else. We have experienced more snubs and rudeness from Spyder riders than anyone else. And that's been true all over the map. Well, one exception was Daytona, thankfully.

Patrick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    over 14 k hits & 218 responses ....WHAT ARE WE ...A BUNCH OF IDIOTS...LET THIS THING ..........." DIE " please.........Mike

I thought it was a pretty thread myself.

I guess I'm an idiot.

Spyder Garage

A person would not create a user name of Harley Rider on a Spyder website and ask a question like that without wanting to stir the pot a bit. In my opinion MOST Harley riders are fine and wave etc... However you have one in every bunch that just ruins it for everyone else. I read and agree with an earlier post that it is usually the "biker" with a 5-10 year old bike that has 3,000 miles that makes the stupid comments. Fact is we all put our butts on the line to do what we love, ride bikes, trikes or whatever that does not have doors. We should all be respectful of each other, after all we're all a little crazy! I ride a Spyder because it's fun, different and because I want too!!!!

Spyder Garage

As I was once told "different strokes for different folks".

Spyder Garage

First of all I am not trying to put anyone down by any means... However I just don’t get it. Why a 3 wheeler "unless handicapped"? I understand the open road and all, believe me i do. But I just don’t get why you would spend the money on these bikes or a trike for that matter unless you are physically in need of one. Don’t get me wrong, when i am old and can’t hold 2 wheels up any more ill have a trike too. But i am seeing so many people that have these things for their first motorcycle "if you want to call it a bike" and i don’t understand, why? Is it that you just can’t grasp the concept of 2 wheels? If so cool, still want to enjoy the open road, cool. But what is it? Oh and before someone gets their panties in knots Yes i have ridden one, and I’ll take my road king any day of the week over one of these things... IMO you shouldn't even need a motorcycle endorsement on your lic. for this... I have a very open mind and honestly would like some corrective "respectful" feedback on this. I am NOT, by any means trying to be disrespectful to any of you all. Just wanted to know so bad that I created this account just to ask this question.
    Why would someone buy a Road King. . . is it because they can't understand the concept of Indian? Why would someone buy a pickup truck? Is it because they can't understand the concept of a sports car? Why would someone eat at Burger King? Is it because they can't understand the concept of McDonalds? Your question: "Is it that you just can’t grasp the concept of 2 wheels?" is really condescending and more than a bit arrogant. I could ride two wheels when I was 5. I happen to like my Spyder, and I bought it because: (1) I wanted to; (2) I could; (3) I live in a country (and spent 25 years defending it) that allows me to spend my money as I see fit, without the need to give a $%#@! what someone else thinks of my choice. Why would you even ask this question? Is it that you can't understand the concept that others have free will and are not in the business of fulfilling your every wish? As for the motorcycle endorsement . . . its a good thing you aren't in charge of DMV.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

7/20/12. The troll is long gone.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

For me it was the overall feeling of safety with my wife on the back. I had a very nice Victory Vision, I dumped it twice, once slipping on gravel (solo) and another doing a U-turn with my wife on the back. Minor scrapes but enough to be concerned. I wanted to trike out the Vision, but no-one made one for the 2008 (no reverse). Tried a Spyder and loved it. Great question, thanks..

"THE DOG SLED"
    2011 Spyder Can Am RTS SM5 (Orbital Blue)
    Nuvi 550 GPS With Ram Mount
    Drink 2 Go Cup Holder
    KewlMetal RT Run-Turn-Brake LED
    GloRyder Wolf Paw (in blue)
    DMWMS Decal
    IPS w/
    Alaska Leather Sheepskin Butt Pad
    TricLed - Brake Pedal
    Chrome Shortee Antenna

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    7/20/12. The troll is long gone.
    I agree, he's probably riding the spyder right now!