Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Looks like this winter, sales will be up on coffee,donuts,beer or whatever the beverage of choice is at the local muffler shop. I wish you luck on compromising a price that your fans will accept. Just went through this with my boss on a seat we created for a stretched out custom HD. When it was all said and done we had $1500.00 in time & material in creating this seat. Now that the jig is made he thinks he'll cut a fat hog in the ass. I told him you can't carry that number to every seat you make.. Bottom line.... It's worth about $185.00 even though the gentleman has 50k tied up in customization & paint on this ride.} Not to mention he's richer than 3' up a bull's butt { No disrespect, but I feel a lot of merchants put their value rated at the price of the vehicle it services. Jusi an honest oppinion from a part-time fabricator/merchant on this end.

Spyder Garage

Noticed that the price has been pulled down from the website..Maybe there's some hope for this kit.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default CAT Converter

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    OK, I'm not looking for a lecture on the environmental benefits of a catalytic converter. Here in VA catalytic converters are not required on motorcycles and I'm looking for a way to shed some of the obscene heat that radiates from the Spyder. So the question is, other than the few that have posted having made their own bypass pipes, is anyone manufacturing after market bypasses for the RT? I was thinking of just pulling the cat converter and taking it to an exhaust shop and have them build me a drop-in replacement bypass.
    So, I must have missed what your decision was. I'm interested in doing this and there are a lot of variables, which I'm sure have been covered here. I'd be tempted to remove the CAT and see if some brave sole with a torch would just cut a hole in it and pour the stuff out. I don't even know if it's then possible to reweld it together with a patch or just forget that and make an elbow or what ever it needs and put the converter in a box, unless it is toxic. I have two friends who own muffler shops, guess I should check with them too.

Or, possibly the best idea is to forget this idea and watch the Green Bay/Seattle game. I don't even know how to spell procrastinator, but I think I'm becoming one!!

Interested in what you did.

Thanks
    Tuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TuckMiddle View Post
    So, I must have missed what your decision was. I'm interested in doing this and there are a lot of variables, which I'm sure have been covered here. I'd be tempted to remove the CAT and see if some brave sole with a torch would just cut a hole in it and pour the stuff out. I don't even know if it's then possible to reweld it together with a patch or just forget that and make an elbow or what ever it needs and put the converter in a box, unless it is toxic. I have two friends who own muffler shops, guess I should check with them too.

Or, possibly the best idea is to forget this idea and watch the Green Bay/Seattle game. I don't even know how to spell procrastinator, but I think I'm becoming one!!

Interested in what you did.

Thanks
    Tuck

Trying to gut this type of converter with 90 degree pipes in and out would be difficult to say the least. You also are destroying a $750 part that the next owner may very well want or even need depending on their state. The muffler shop angle is workable but can be tricky. Many muffler shops will turn you away instantly when they hear you're wanting to remove a cat. Given their liability with strict laws on cars, they don't care that it's a motorcycle and not needed in your state, they simply don't want to take any risk even if it's only perceived.
    You might be more successful with a muffler shop if you removed the cat yourself and either brought the Spyder in minus cat for them to make a pipe or brought the cat in to use as a template for making the pipe. I'm going to try this with a local muffler shop next week when I have some time off. Of course it would be a heck of a lot easier if there was a bypass kit available at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by flybuddy; 09-25-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default catalytic converter

Quote Originally Posted by medicineman48 View Post
    A local muffler shop removed my cat and custom made a "Y" insert. The total cost $129. Just pulled a trailer for 868 miles and averaged 32 miles per gallon. Passenger was very happy at the lack of heat burning her feet. No tune up required. This is one of the best, if not best, change made to the spyder

Guys, this is a fair price for removing the cat,making the y pipe & installing it.
    Some muffler shops may want you to pull the cat then charge less for the
    rest of the job. In the past the shops could get by with the change over by
    calling the pipe a test kit. Testing for proper tuneing & performance. Have the pipe made & keep
    the cat in case you need to reinstall it before going to the dealer with a problem.
    Without it on the spyder you could have a problem .Removing the insides could also
    cause a problem.Some of these aftermart people think they have to ream you out so
    you will be happy. Just ask if they will supply the butt paste along with some of these
    products.

spyder stryder

Spyder Garage

Default Good points

Quote Originally Posted by spyder stryder View Post
    Guys, this is a fair price for removing the cat,making the y pipe & installing it.
    Some muffler shops may want you to pull the cat then charge less for the
    rest of the job. In the past the shops could get by with the change over by
    calling the pipe a test kit. Testing for proper tuneing & performance. Have the pipe made & keep
    the cat in case you need to reinstall it before going to the dealer with a problem.
    Without it on the spyder you could have a problem .Removing the insides could also
    cause a problem.Some of these aftermart people think they have to ream you out so
    you will be happy. Just ask if they will supply the butt paste along with some of these
    products.

spyder stryder
    I'm going to run by a muffler place owned by a friend and GoldWing rider. I'll see what Harold has to say. Good point about saving the whole CAT unit.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dgnspyder View Post
    I have removed the Cat from my RT and replaced it with a really nice looking stainless Y pipe that was custom made. It was done by my dealer and the mechanic is a real craftsman. The sound is fantastic with the Cat gone, has some real attitude now but not super loud, it's deeper and throatier. I have left the standard muffler on as I think that the shape of it suits the bike. The standard muffler doesn't seem at all restrictive with the cat off, I think most of the restriction is in the cat. The weight of the cat is like a concrete block, unbelievable. I have also put the chrome front and rear on the muffler and it looks awesome. I am not going to fit an aftermarket slip on as I have a nice sound, great looks and improved performance with what I have done.
    Can you send pics?

Spyder Garage

FYI---they are back up for sale on spyder1attitude website for $450.
    2012 Spyder RT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    FYI---they are back up for sale on spyder1attitude website for $450.
    Cut it in half one more time and R/D will be paid in no time, and the profit will begin.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    Cut it in half one more time and R/D will be paid in no time, and the profit will begin.
    still too high for a pipe. Still waiting .....
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

It's now the same price as the muffler.... I'm happy it's available.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    It's now the same price as the muffler.... I'm happy it's available.
    My thought as well. It's still high but comparable with other bike exhaust components. I guess if you want to play with big toys, you better have a big piggy bank.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

FYI, I installed this today. The pipe is a bit more complex than than I expected as it needed to match up exactly to the cat lead and downpipes as well as hangers, contours and flares. Overall, a good job by Spyder1 as it has to fit exactly and did. The install instructions are fairly simplistic and are available on their website. I had some issues on my install which slowed me down some. One of the muffler bolts stripped and I had to cut the bolt and replace. I did not notice that the kit with the reduced price is solely the exhaust component and didn't include the gasket seals. I was able to reuse mine but spent quite a bit of time gingerly removing them so they could be re-used. If you're thinking about this--get the new gaskets, it's not worth the hassle. In place of the rod type hangers on the cat there are threaded rods welded on. The rods are too fat and rubber grommets and hanger need to be drilled out quite a bit for them to fit. Overall, a good thing and works as advertised. I did take decibel readings before and after. Idle was 75db before and 79 after, 4000 rpm produced 87db before and 89 after. Overall sound is similar. Not sure of gas mileage yet (I do have a K&N on there). I also took readings on right side for temps and there was no change before and after install.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

FYI, I installed this today. The pipe is a bit more complex than than I expected as it needed to match up exactly to the cat lead and downpipes as well as hangers, contours and flares. Overall, a good job by Spyder1 as it has to fit exactly and did. The install instructions are fairly simplistic and are available on their website. I had some issues on my install which slowed me down some. One of the muffler bolts stripped and I had to cut the bolt and replace. I did not notice that the kit with the reduced price is solely the exhaust component and didn't include the gasket seals. I was able to reuse mine but spent quite a bit of time gingerly removing them so they could be re-used. If you're thinking about this--get the new gaskets, it's not worth the hassle. In place of the rod type hangers on the cat there are threaded rods welded on. The rods are too fat and rubber grommets and hanger need to be drilled out quite a bit for them to fit. Overall, a good thing and works as advertised. I did take decibel readings before and after. Idle was 75db before and 79 after, 4000 rpm produced 87db before and 89 after. Overall sound is similar. Not sure of gas mileage yet (I do have a K&N on there). I also took readings on right side for temps and there was no change before and after install.

I received mine today and started the install but didn't complete it because of the presidential debate. I ordered the gaskets with mine. I was surprised there were no instructions in the box and never thought of looking on their website. I just winged it. Mine does not have threaded rods for hangers and they fit the rubber hanger gaskets perfectly. Everything lines up perfectly. I made audio recordings before removing the cat converter and will make more after the install is completed and post them. I hope to finish the install tomorrow night but it will be late as I have a very long day at the office and won't get home before 8 PM.

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I did take decibel readings before and after. Idle was 75db before and 79 after, 4000 rpm produced 87db before and 89 after. Overall sound is similar. Not sure of gas mileage yet (I do have a K&N on there). I also took readings on right side for temps and there was no change before and after install.
    Are you running the stock muffler.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    Yes
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

flybuddy

Originally Posted by Schnauzer

Yes
    Me too.

My Mods -

Spyder Garage

Finished installing the bypass tonight. Had one heck of a time getting the rear hanger rubber bushing back on, but a little lifting on the back of the new y-pipe with a floor jack pushed it up hight enough to slip it on. I don't have any thing to measure audio level with but is is slightly louder and produces a deeper tone out of the muffler. Movie files (with audio) are very large and will not upload. I'll have to work on them.

Here is what the new bypass looks like:

My Mods -

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wow, simple just alot of off=on getting the bends just right. Now I see potential for duals on the RT.."ole-skool fishtails.

Spyder Garage

Well, my bipass still hasn't arrived… waited for weeks to get the gaskets!!!

When it finally gets here, I will couple my new Yosh R77 to it. Can't wait!!!
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Cat Bypass

Got my cat by-pass and y77 today. looks like Saturday will be busy.

Spyder Garage

I put 700 miles on the catless RT in the past 5 days (went to Daytona)..I'm not really seeing any change in fuel mileage and, oddly, it seems to want premium gas only now. When I use mid grade, the rpm will surge when I get above 60, does not happen if I use premium..Tested it twice, both ways. Since I've got a K&N up front and more free flow at the back end, I'm assuming that the ECM is thinking it's lean thereby increasing mixture and advancing timing. Anyone have any other thoughts as to why it's doing this? Anyone else who did this mod having same issue?
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I put 700 miles on the catless RT in the past 5 days (went to Daytona)..I'm not really seeing any change in fuel mileage and, oddly, it seems to want premium gas only now. When I use mid grade, the rpm will surge when I get above 60, does not happen if I use premium..Tested it twice, both ways. Since I've got a K&N up front and more free flow at the back end, I'm assuming that the ECM is thinking it's lean thereby increasing mixture and advancing timing. Anyone have any other thoughts as to why it's doing this? Anyone else who did this mod having same issue?
    I've put about 250 miles on mine since installing. The stock muffler is definately louder and deeper in tone. I do not have any real hard data yet as to improvements in mileage. This past weekends ride on the Skyline Drive was almost all done in 3rd and 4th gear at low RPMs so even though it calculated to over 30 mpg, I need to get more "at speed" miles on it to figure out the real number. I've always used premimum gas, so I won't see any issues there.

It will be a while til I get around to changing out the airbox so any changes/improvemnets caused by that are still unknown.

My Mods -

Spyder Garage

Here the vid of my Yosh with the bypass:

2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

It sounds greeeeeat!